2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

My 06 1.8 Petrol civic has been acting up. From a day-to-day basis it runs alright, but earlier this week (whilst driving) an error message came up on the dash with a battery symbol, followed by a power steering warning, but it went as quickly as it arrived.

When knocking down a gear, or when stationary, the engine seems to drop power and revs quickly, and using EPS, radio, lights, windows, etc, will affect the strength of the headlights (I know this is normal to an extent, but it seems to be getting worse).

I suspect it might be the alternator, but I've not got the kit at home to test it out. Any tips, recommendations, similar experience, would be great to hear.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Probably isn't much help but just sharing similar experience - had a low/dead battery last month. Left the ignition on while parked for 5 minutes, each time the wipers went off the power steering light would flash on for a second, went to start it and it just died haha.

My guess would be if you're seeing the alternator/battery light flash up, could well be that the alternator is on it's way out.

If its still starting okay then I'd say the battery is probably okay. Same with the earth strap, unless they're loose or something.

Some else here is sure to have a better input than me though, either way hope this helps

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, good to share common problems.

I agree on the alternator, looks like it's on its way, but want to know if there's a way to test it at home. It's running alright on the day-to-day and MOT is due in May, so I might as well wait until then and ask the mechanic to hit it with a spanner.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.