2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a bit concerned about the cold start capacity of the battery in my 1.8 -09. At -10 deg C the engine turns over quite slow when starting even with the battery fully charged. The engine starts quickly but what happens when (if) the temperatures falls down to -20to -25 deg C.
Any experience?

·
Premium Member
749 Posts
There seems to be a general opinion that the OEM batteries fitted to Civics are of insufficient capacity and/or quality. I don't believe this for one moment. The battery fitted to my 2.2SE is a 75 Ah Varta - probably the petrol versions have a 45 Ah one. Absolutely adequate in capacity, and no problem with the manufacturer - Varta are a top name in the battery market. No - I believe that almost all battery problems are confined to the better equipped models with all the automatic bells and whistles. Certainly temperature will affect a battery's performance, but as far as I can recall, all incidences of failure to start in cars that I have owned over the last 30 years could be put down to reasons other than insufficient capacity or quality.
My SE with no auto wipers, no auto lights etc is absolutely fine, with no battery problems at all. Anyone else care to chip in to see if my opinion might be true?:popcorn:

·
Administrator
21,236 Posts
I've not noticed any difference as mine seems to 'catch' almost immediately.

I can say from experience on my last Civ that the OEM battery doesn't have any longevity.

I can remember many many years ago some cars used to park overnight on the street with offside parking lights. Can't remember which car it was but with the ignition key out you flicked on the turn indicator to the side you wanted lit. You would never get away with that in the Civ.

·
Premium Member
22,623 Posts
You are absolutely correct, the 1.8 battery is a bit weak in the winter time.

If it sits in below -10C over night it always feels hesitant, but mine has never failed to start, even at -20 to -25.

Armrono has fitted a battery from a diesel in his 1.8 for this very reason, I've been thinking about that for some time...

Nothing wrong with Varta batteries (although my 1.8 has some other brand) and the diesels may well have more margin.

·
Premium Member
376 Posts
Buy a battery charger and charge it a few times during winter. Driving doesn't alone fully charge the battery in lower temperatures. Especially important if you use a lot of the electrics as well (heated seats, mirrors, rear screen, radio etc.) that sucks life out of batteries in wintertime.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a Ctek electronic battery charger with a quick-connector so I can charge the battery at home at least during weekends but I still think the battery seem weak even when its fully charged.
I'm considering to pemanently istall the charger in the car so the battery will be recharged every time I connect the engine heater.

·
Premium Member
376 Posts
I have a Ctek electronic battery charger with a quick-connector so I can charge the battery at home at least during weekends but I still think the battery seem weak even when its fully charged.
I'm considering to pemanently istall the charger in the car so the battery will be recharged every time I connect the engine heater.
+1

I already have the defa charger installed on my car (actually I have the full warm up package). Definitely recommending it. No worries to put all the electronics on "full" - even if driving only short trips :)

·
R.I.P - (User sadly passed away)
9,228 Posts
The 1.8 OEM battery does have a rather low 'AmpHour' capacity ...

Personally, I've never had any problems - even after retrieving mine from a heap of ice and snow, after almost 2 weeks in an open \ exposed hospital carpark, in the middle of Winter ...

But, if you have a concern \ issue, consider a Bosh S4 (same size but more 'perky'), or an OEM 2.2 battery, or a Bosh S6 (same size as the 2.2 OEM unit but again more 'perky') ..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts