2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,

I need a little bit of advice, I own a FK2 and in the winter months I keep the car in a garage away from the winter roads. I am looking for a battery charger/conditioner which I can leave on safely to keep the battery charged. I have looked at the CTEK range of chargers but I am unsure what to go for. Can some one point me in the right direction please.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just been looking at there products this evening, I might go for a MXS 5.0 12V Battery Charger and see how I get on with it. They seem to be a good product, plenty of good reviews and a 5 year warranty.

·
Premium Member
2,338 Posts
another vote for ctek here. bought one about a decade ago for the s2k and never had an issue with it.
check out the ctek site - i know they do various models where some are arguably better for the longer winter storage duty (8 step) than others (4 step)

·
regrets his username
7,982 Posts
Sort of off post but battery related,
What are peoples battery health on service reports, mine came in at 11. something, I thought that sounds a tad low considering I just drove for over half an hour

·
Super Moderator
21,007 Posts
Never looked.

If they don't find any issues then the service sheet gets filed away.

Funny how my Feb 2015 service told me I needed 2 new front tyres, which I ignored as I knew better, whilst Feb 16 and 17 both reported plenty of tread left. Hardly surprising at just 15k at the time.

Different dealers though.

·
Clutch pedal guru
5,106 Posts
Never looked.

If they don't find any issues then the service sheet gets filed away.

Funny how my Feb 2015 service told me I needed 2 new front tyres, which I ignored as I knew better, whilst Feb 16 and 17 both reported plenty of tread left. Hardly surprising at just 15k at the time.

Different dealers though.
Yes often used for up selling.

RE battery conditioners I use an Optimate for my DC2.

·
Super Moderator
2,223 Posts
ive used a few optimate kree and oximizors
but the c-tek is way above the rest
mine use is mainly bikes and the optimates might be the original type in this field but too be honest there not as good as they claim
the c-teks have a good range buy the best you can account for the top end are a bit pricy but there very good and the c-tek is the only 1 ive found to pull a dead battery back to life
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwi-06rNyJrWAhUjBsAKHTU0AjsQFgieATAC&url=https://www.tayna.co.uk/CTEK-Battery-Chargers-S601-1.html&usg=AFQjCNElckQj4fQ4C6aOt41G1LTaT5DuWw
i think mine was the 5.0
https://www.tayna.co.uk/CTEK-MXS-5.0-Charger-and-Conditioner-MULTI-XS-5.0-P8690.html
i lent it out and it got damaged i do intend buying another at some stage but i have a optimate and a kree3 which serve my needs for the bikes but not a patch on the c-tek
just need to find the right time to spend money ill try get the best i can afford/account for at the time

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
Since hibernating the Type-R for two years I have used a CTEK MXS 5.0. Can leave it hooked up indefinitely and I like the permanent connection to the battery.

They are OEM equipment for many premium brands like Ferrari.

Make sure if you do buy you get the updated version. Think they have a red button instead of green.

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
This is what you can do with the CTEK:

Mount it securely:

View attachment 262682

Use the plug to avoid horrible crocodile clips:

View attachment 262690

The battery end:

View attachment 262674

Permanently attach to the battery:

View attachment 262666
Hi Kremmen, (or anyone else who can help) have you got a picture of how you have got this fitted to your terminal under the red positive cover? I’ve just bought one of these for mine and having trouble locating the wire, and yours is coming out of the cover really neatly? Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,741 Posts
@Kremmen Late to the party I know but just got one of these and had the same question as @Mikeyw94
How is this attached to the positive terminal?

Also, isn't the negative meant to be going to an earthing point rather than the negative terminal of the battery?

Cheers.

·
4,249 Posts
Pos connection: Slacken the 10mm clamp nut and put the connector under that. If you snip out the bit of the connector to make it a 6mm U instead of a 6mm round hole, you can fit it without removing the nut.
Also, isn't the negative meant to be going to an earthing point rather than the negative terminal of the battery?
Yes it should so that the EMC 'knows' that the battery has been charged.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts