2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone I wonder if anyone can help with a battery charging question I have before I go to a dealer.
My Civic 1.8 2015 no longer stop starts due to lack of use, (thanks covid), I get the orange battery symbol, did a 100 mile motorway run no change, charged it with a MXS 5.0 Ctek charger for 24 hours which I am not sure is suitable for stop start EFB, also no change. Helpful chap at Honda Redhill advised the battery needed a 5 -10 amp charge for 24 hours which would cure it, the Ctek unit has reducing current increasing voltage and all sorts of charging cycles, it showed all correct green lights after charging.
Does anyone recognise these symptoms or could recommend a suitable charger.
Battery is original, car is on 20,000 miles so it may be past it, all of the other electrical systems work fine.
Thanks

James

·
Registered
319 Posts
I recently changed the battery on my 2015 diesel, only 53k miles

My experience with Hondas is that the batteries never seem to last more than around 5 years.

The good news is that I got a new genuine battery from Cox delivered for only about 75 quid which I thought was pretty reasonable for a battery rated for stop start.

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
original battery on my 2014 civic and my Accord original battery lasted over 10 years!
It does sound like you may need a new on tho

·
Registered
319 Posts
I remember my old Accord (old 1999 model 1.8 EX saloon) needed two batteries in the 6 or 7 years I owned it.

Can't complain though as that was pretty much the only thing that went wrong with it :)

original battery on my 2014 civic and my Accord original battery lasted over 10 years!
It does sound like you may need a new on tho

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
I replaced the battery on my 2016 civic when it was about 3 1/2 years old. I don't drive regularly, sometimes I will go 3 weeks without touching the car, and I found the battery voltage gradually decreasing to about 11.5 volts , although car still started perfectly. I use a CTEK charger to top it up, but even with this start /stop took a while to start working again. With a new battery it worked every time, although during lack of use in lockdown it takes 50 or so miles driving before start/stop kicks in again.
I fitted a Yuasa battery- I wasn't happy with the genuine Honda ( Varta ) battery only lasting 3 years, and Yuasa have been reliable in the past.
You are aware that when you connect your charger to the battery in the car ,the negative lead goes to the chassis -not the battery terminal ? Lots of posts about this if you search.

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for the replies everyone
I do think with batteries like air con it's a case of use it of loose it, when I was commuting 100m/day in my Accord which had Yuasa fitted as standard, then 8G Civic, (Bosch), my batteries seldom needed replacing.
Bill I completely agree with you, not too keen on the Varta and always had long life from Yuasa, I think I will pull it again and let it soak for a couple of days then monitor things with an eye on replacing with Yuasa.
Usually I remove the battery from the car to charge it for two reasons, I don't like leaving an expensive charger outside and available to the local talent, plus I worry about spiking expensive electronics even with a posh charger.

·
4,346 Posts
Possible problem with doing that is that the car does not 'know' that the battery has been charged.
But I'm not completely convinced by that argument.

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Naw, when you fit a new battery doesn't need the Honda diagnostic tool hooking up to re-teach the ECU/alternator/fag lighter, but you've probably given some one an idea there M8TJT
By the way battery been hooked up to a Ctek charger in the garage since Sunday - now on 'float' will hang it out for as long as I don't need the car and report back

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had to replace battery on my petrol 1.8L Honda. It's over-discharged during lockdown and was not taking a charge as it should anymore. What happens when it's over-discharged is that you have anode sulfation problem which eventually leads to short circuit between 2 or more battery cells. CTEK charger with 5 or 10A charging rate is more than adequate for any Honda battery! If your battery is 65A rated it takes only 6.5 hours to charge it to full at 10Amps! But this is from ZERO charge which never happens as the battery at zero charge is normally a dead battery. Charging at 5 A will take longer of course but it's not a problem. Charging at high Amps IS NOT recommended! The battery overheats and may end with hydrogen evolution and it will eventually kill the battery or will significantly reduce battery life!
My new battery is Bosch and I use CTEK charger once a week at 3.5A. This because I drive once a week on a short distance only. Still WFH because of COVID. Works like a treat. When you charge it - make sure that you DON'T connect charger to the battery negative terminal. Use any metal part of the engine compartment to connect negative otherwise Honda battery controller (it's on the battery clamp) will not register the charge properly.
My wife's diesel 2.2 8G Honda 2009 Reg is still on the original battery! Starts from in 1-2 secs! I believe this is because I always use CTEK charger at low Amps when her car sits on a drive way for a long time... I've not done it to my 2016 Reg and paid a lot of money for the new battery. However it's a very good Bosch battery.....

·
Super Moderator
21,035 Posts
Oh, I've had my CTEK hardwired to the battery terminals, since 2013, and never had a problem.

Until recently I was only doing about 900 miles a year so also charging weekly.

·
Registered
13 Posts
not a problem to hook the charger directly to the battery terminals. however my 2016 even fully charged will not operate start/stop for about 10-15 miles. But to be honest I disable start/stop anyway as jump into my car!

·
Super Moderator
21,035 Posts
So it's the stop/start sensor that has issues. Mine hasn't got SS so no problem.

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you for the replies, busy with other things this evening but managed to measure the current the Ctek unit was delivering in 'float' phase = 0.05A so will re-fit it tomorrow and we shall see.
Interesting reading on the charge monitoring system here Honda charging systems - Auto Service World thanks Borland

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Fitted the battery this morning stop start now working so can switch it off without worrying.
Thanks again every one for your help, Honda nil, Civinfo 1.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts