2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey

Context:
  • so had my tourer go in for its 4th year service last week and everything on the health report came back green.
  • two days ago after setting off on a short trip, I pull up at traffic lights and stop/start kicks in. When I go to pull away the engine doesnt start (classic not enough power in battery signs -- clicking from starter etc...). Left stuck in traffic and have to push the car out of live traffic
Naturally a bit annoyed and once I get the car home, I call the garage (Lookers Honda Orpington) to ask if they had actually checked the battery. They said they had but I dont see anywhere on the report the voltage / amps recorded.

I get that batteries fail and at 4 years its not uncommon but Im wondering if the test they do should have caught this?

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info.

I have the worksheet, there are no details in the "Record battery voltage and midtronics test code" section (its just blank).

The visual health check is green for the "battery condition" but I suspect that is just a visual check for corrosion etc...

·
Registered
191 Posts
I had a service at a Honda dealer a little over a month ago, pretty much the only comment they did make when I collected it was that the battery was a bit low, so must have checked it.

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
Isn't the stop / start system clever enough to recognise it might not have enough juice to restart if it shuts down? :surprise:

·
Registered
11 Posts
A battery can fail at any time, generally sulfation kills the battery over time and will give you an indication that its on the way out, but on this occasion it sounds like a cell had failed, taking the voltage to around 11v which will give the result that you unfortunately experienced.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts