2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Theres no way my battery should be dead after 30mins. The key was only in the ignition with. Lights off, radio off etc...

This is not the first time this has happened although last time the lights + amp was on.

The car is not even 2 years old??? should I get this checked out and would it be changed under warrenty if found to be bad?

Thanks =)

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
mate I fit a new battery last week because it had dropped to 5.3v.....it was the origional battery so it was due a change after nearly 4yrs. I'm just in the door there because my bloody car is barely turning over & made a feeble attempt at a start & died. I have recently got a van for work & the car hasn't been used very often but I had her out a good run on saturday & there's no way it can be dead so soon. I've checked that everything is off & out of automatic so im well miffed as to what the hell is going on :(

·
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
941 Posts
There was an issue with the fuse box (MICU?) that drained the battery, it's one of the recalls... have you had them all done?

·
Premium Member
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There was an issue with the fuse box (MICU?) that drained the battery, it's one of the recalls... have you had them all done?
IIRC it was before the 2009 models so surely the 2009 models already have the new MICU?

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts
Perhaps your batter is dead and needs replacing :(

·
Premium Member
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Perhaps your batter is dead and needs replacing :(
Would it be under warrenty though? Batteries arent cheap! Any the car is not even 2 years old. No way should a battery die after so little time.

And I mean having the lights and radio on I can understand it might die after 30mins but only having the key in the in car without the actual ignition on...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Was the engine running, or were you sitting with the ignition on only. Your right though, it should last more than 30 mins anyway. Maybe you have a problem with the charging circuit between the ACG and the Battery and the vehicle fuse box. The dealer should be able to tell if the charging circuit is OK and if the Engine Control Unit is requesting a higher voltage output from the ACG.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Battery & Fifth Door => Problem

My experience.

2009, 1.000 km from my home, on summer holiday. My Civic was parked 3 days. During that time the fifth door was opened and closed once, Civic remotely locked. The following day battery was empty. Trying to ignite lost key code etc, etc.

Last week, Friday, I parked. On Monday I took something from my Civic and just opened/closed fifth door. On Tuesday morning battery was empty!!!

I had to buy a new battery (the old was original since 2006).

Then, I decided to disconnect bulb inside! It seems only solution.

I am very, very disappointed!

·
...............Daedalus
3,687 Posts
My experience.

2009, 1.000 km from my home, on summer holiday. My Civic was parked 3 days. During that time the fifth door was opened and closed once, Civic remotely locked. The following day battery was empty. Trying to ignite lost key code etc, etc.

Last week, Friday, I parked. On Monday I took something from my Civic and just opened/closed fifth door. On Tuesday morning battery was empty!!!

I had to buy a new battery (the old was original since 2006).

Then, I decided to disconnect bulb inside! It seems only solution.

I am very, very disappointed!
Have you had the MICU fault sorted out? If not, that'll be why the batteries draining so quickly.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My battery lasted almost 5 years, without garage. I suppose, a long period (Belgrade is about 45 degrees North ...)

Thank you 4 remind me to check out if some DTC exists :)

·
Premium Member
1,292 Posts
Would it be under warrenty though? Batteries arent cheap! Any the car is not even 2 years old. No way should a battery die after so little time.

And I mean having the lights and radio on I can understand it might die after 30mins but only having the key in the in car without the actual ignition on...

The batteries normally have a 3 year warranty so I would pop back to the dealer and they will replace if tested faulty.

·
Premium Member
6,643 Posts
Youve had trouble with the batery before havent you?

If I recall you slept in your car all night with the car running? and from my observations this is the 2nd time youve had trouble... are you on the same battery?

·
Premium Member
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Youve had trouble with the batery before havent you?

If I recall you slept in your car all night with the car running? and from my observations this is the 2nd time youve had trouble... are you on the same battery?

Yes I did sleep in the car with the engine running but never had battery problems from that. However is indeed not the first time i've had problems with the battery..

Been a couple times now. The battery drains easily within half an hour if the keys are in the ignition. Then once jump started windows dont work properly until atleast 50-100 miles driving afterwards.

Will pop back into honda and surely they will test the battery and if found faulty I want it replaced. Its not even 2 years old and shouldnt die after 30mins

·
Premium Member
6,643 Posts
ok so you leave the keys in the ignition at what position, I or II? Also is that with the engine running. Do you have any other electrical items on?

·
R.I.P - (User sadly passed away)
9,228 Posts
Car batteries can suffer 'internal failure' at any age, and won't hold a charge ...

Or, you have a large drain to earth when the ignition is on, and the engine is off ...

I've had my 1.8 parked outside with the CD player on (engine off), for a couple of hours, while I cut hedges etc. - started next day first touch of the red button ...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts