2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I checked on Civinfo's wiki on flat battery to troubleshoot battery drain.

The wiki said that the normal drainage is 0.02a after initial connection.

When I first test my car battery for amp (parasitic current), it was 0.55a at the start but after few secs, it came down to 0.05a. I continued testing it for next 30 secs (without breaking connection), and it was still 0.05a.

Is 0.05a acceptable or not acceptable?

I am concerned because I am not expert on electronics and the wiki said that it should be 0.02a and yet in my case, it is 0.05a. I don't know if that is okay or not okay.

Thank you for your advice.

PS In case you ask - the cause of drainage is from Fuse 16 under bonnet - aka "back up" fuse.

·
4,475 Posts
Firstly, check to see if the current is still the same after about 10 mins (of constant ammeter connection) to make sure that the car has completely 'shut down'.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the suggestion. I forget to mention that my car does not have HFT module/box.

1.) Does 10 mins waiting still apply?

And 2.) if it is still 0.05a after 10 mins of constant connection, what does it mean? That I still have parasite drain?

thank you very much.

·
4,475 Posts
Obviously you do have a parasitic drain as the quiescent current is not zero.
I don't know what the Honda spec is and don't know whether 0.05A (50mA) is an acceptable value or not. I was hoping that someone in the know would be along to tell us.

·
Premium Member
424 Posts
From what I understood it should be around 0.03 so 0.05 is not too bad. My last civic had a drain of 0.9 and of course the battery went flat after a week or so. I suspected the alarm siren. Its common for the on board battery on the siren to fail after a few years and then it draws power from the cars battery. Happened on a peugeot I had as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts