2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 56 plate 2.2 Type S

Two days ago my car wouldn't start in the morning - the battery was flat (not completely but it didn't crank properly to get going)

I jump started it and then tested the alternator which is fine* (14.2V at idle) *(admittedly I haven't yet tested with everything turned on)
When I got to work the battery tested at 12.3V (should be enough to get it started), however when I left that afternoon it wouldn't start again so needed a jump.

I bought a new battery and so far no issues, although when I bought it I had the old one tested and was told the battery chemistry was fine and it just needed charging.

So after doing more tests I believe it has a parasitic battery drain issue with approx. 350mA constant drain. I started to pull different fuses and the reading dropped to just 20mA with number 16 from the under bonnet fuse box removed. Therefore I believe that this circuit is the issue, according to booklet this is the "Back Up" which I think relates to the at least the radio.

Has anyone else experienced this problem or does anyone know what else is on this circuit. Any input or help is much appreciated,

Thanks,

Gus

·
Administrator
17,960 Posts
Does your car have OEM hands free? They are well known to fail and cause battery drain. If you have one, then try unplugging it - it's located on the panel under the steering wheel.

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
hi gus that fuse also powers the alarm and imobaliser and the hands free telephone module if fitted (see attached pic)

when checking the current drain some modules will use power for a about 5 mins then go to standby mode and reduce power consumption
you should be looking for less than 50ma drain usualy

a couple of years ago we had a fn2 in the garage with a simmiler problem and it was the hands free module that was faulty

Attachments

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses, I did see all the posts about the HFT, unfortunately I don't believe my car has that unit. No controls on the steering wheel and no Navigation system as I just have the basic Type S not the GT. When I tested the drain I had already popped the bonnet and left the car locked for half an hour, so anything that does stay live for a short while should have finished.

I have managed to find the wiring diagram (can't post a picture as it removes all of the labels) but how do I now narrow it down? Do I just have to try and unplug the devices relevent to the circuit one by one?

Thanks, Gus

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
hi gus I think you are correct about it not having hands free
infortunatly some times in pluging things to isolate circuits is the only way to go about it but it is very time consuming
as a auto electrician/diagnostic technician to trade current drain problems are the jobs I hate the most
one thing to try is to disconnect the battery for about half a hour to let all the modules discharge and reset them selfs
then re connect the battery
also pull the relays out one by one to rule out one of them sticking on

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I can definitely disconnect the battery, but when you say pull out the relays, would that be all of them or just the ones associated with the circuit? and are they just the black and white box things on the left of the attached picture?

Sorry I'm rather new to electronics.

Thanks, Gus

Attachments

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
hi gus the white relay in the picture is the air con clutch relay and black one is radiator fan or it might be the other way around
the relays that might be related to the circut in question will be behind the dashboard below the steering wheel

remove fuse 16 from the engine fuse box and put a amp meter across the terminals (be careful not to damage the terminals)
note the amp reading then remove the relays one by one and look for a drop in the current readings
if none of the relays make a diferance then we are back to isolating components in the faulty circuit

one thing springs to mind does it have a aftermarket radio unit amplifiers or blue tooth ad ons (parrot hands free or mp3 input modules ect)connected to the radio ive had problems with cheap Chinese units draining power

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Very sorry for the delayed response I had an unexpected stay in hospital (I'm fine)

I took a closer look at the wiring diagram and something caught my eye, I've since tested and have found that there is no drain issue and that the previous battery was the sole problem.

What I noticed on the diagram - located on the circuit relating to fuse 16 is ... "Hood Switch" :oops:

After disconnecting it the drain was gone haha

Thanks for all your help p7jox and I hope you get a laugh out of this and to other people who come across this thread maybe I've just saved you from embarrassing moment of your own :grin2:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hello
Got a 06 ex with hids, has same issue with fuse 16. I cant see any diagram with what does this fuse powers up. Before posting this, I did unpluged the hood sensor and bluetooth. I did noticed though that my alarm siren is not connected. If I connect it, it starts beeping. Any help with the diagram, please?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Does your car have OEM hands free? They are well known to fail and cause battery drain. If you have one, then try unplugging it - it's located on the panel under the steering wheel.

This sorted my battery drain issue that I had been experiencing for some time...I even bought a new battery thinking that the Halfords battery I had was totally knackered after calling out thr RAC (they condemed the battery in an attempt to sell me one of theirs it seems)! I was finding myself having to start the car alomost every morning with a starter pack as the battery would drain overnight! This eventually killed the new battery and has caused a whole host of other issues. Since I have disconnected the defective HFT Bluetooth unit I have even been able to use my old Halfords battery that has been working very well.

The HFT unit did appear to work temporarily once I pulled it apart and put it back together and reinstalled, but that was very fleeting. I've just put it back in place but left it disconnected. No further battery drain reported.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts