2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my five-year-old Civic 1.8 serviced yesterday and asked for a new battery to be fitted - not that I had had any problems with the old one, but I'm probably keeping the car for another three years and I reckoned there was a very good (bad?) chance that I would need a replacement during that time, and probably at an awkward moment.

As it happened. the garage tested the old one and confirmed that it needed replacing, so that's one decision of mine that proved correct.

It's only an idle thought, but I presume that the garage test would denote if the battery was in terminal decline - and that it wouldn't be fooled by the fact that during winter I only use the car for very short, battery-unfriendly trips? (Last winter, my usage was the same as this, and the test 12 months ago found the battery to be OK).

Marlburian

·
Registered
58 Posts
To be honest batteries are only meant to last around 5 years before they should be replaced, I'd say that as long as the car is being used for >10 minutes every 2 days then the battery should be in decent condition.

For £40 or so it's better to be safe then sorry when your car doesn't start and have to get the jumps out!!

·
Obsessive Modder
2,283 Posts
I had my five-year-old Civic 1.8 serviced yesterday and asked for a new battery to be fitted - not that I had had any problems with the old one, but I'm probably keeping the car for another three years and I reckoned there was a very good (bad?) chance that I would need a replacement during that time, and probably at an awkward moment.

As it happened. the garage tested the old one and confirmed that it needed replacing, so that's one decision of mine that proved correct.

It's only an idle thought, but I presume that the garage test would denote if the battery was in terminal decline - and that it wouldn't be fooled by the fact that during winter I only use the car for very short, battery-unfriendly trips? (Last winter, my usage was the same as this, and the test 12 months ago found the battery to be OK).

Marlburian
Battery
;)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts