2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. Just joined after finding this fantastic site. First time owner of a Honda Civic, 2.2 dtec 2012 plate.
A few days ago my check system light came on. I took it to my local garage as that was closest and the diagnostics threw out the code P16e3 - battery fault. The battery was checked and at the time was overcharging but when the mechanic turned the lights etc on the check system light went out and the voltage returned to normal. When he put the code into the system he said they couldn't repair the fault as there was a bulletin from Honda saying this code was a battery charging system problem and could only be fixed with a software update from Honda. He also said to be careful as worst case scenario the battery could explode. Bit worrying but not sure this is true. I rang Honda and they said they couldn't tell me from that code as they won't accept them from other garages and want to run diagnostics themselves, which they would obviously charge a lot for. The code stayed off for 3 days but has come back on briefly tonight when I put the ignition (not engine) on to check the clock. (We were parked up). On the drive home I put the headlights on and the check system light went out again and has stayed out so far.
Anyone else ever had this code or problem? Would be nice to know what I'm looking at before I have to take it in to Honda. Hoping it is a quick fix software update like the independent garage seems to think.

Thank you :)

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
A new battery is £59..... did they suggest a battery fault?

If not, check the alternator voltage, and see if that could be the cause.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. The battery is fine as far as I can gather. They just said 12 v battery charging system fault and said they found a service bulletin from Honda recommending a software update. Honda are playing ignorant over the phone as they want to charge me to run their own diagnostics. Just wondered if anyone else had needed this update.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts