2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys.

I have been messing about sorting a few little issues with my car.

Was wondering though on two occasions I have left the music on for say 15 mins each whilst the car hasn't been on. This has ended up killing the battery then me needing to jump start the car.

Is this normal or could it suggest a weak battery. (was last changed in 2015 its a bosch s4).

The battery has so little power it doesn't even attempt to turn over the dash just flashes.

Just a bit concerned as don't really want to end up in the middle of nowhere with a dead battery.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Same happened to me two months ago. After 10min (without the engine running) or so sav screen started flashing then all the warning list on dash. I too had the same battery but it was maybe 10 years old. Had to jump start it to get it up and running again.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
i-Vtec
2,233 Posts
The batteries on Civic's aren't very big, most seem to be around 44ah,(my last car was an 85AH) so its no surprise that they do drain quite quickly. 4 years seems pretty reasonable for a battery to be fair. When mine started showing signs of slower starting I bought a new one right away instead of risking being stranded. The good thing about them being small batteries is they aren't expensive to buy a good one.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yuasa-Silver-High-Performance-SMF-Battery-48Ah-430CCA-YBX5053-4Year-Warranty/253815963121?fits=Model:Civic|Cars+Type:2.0+Type-R&epid=249470789&hash=item3b189c3df1:g:--sAAOSwyH9bdACe

·
3,989 Posts
Is this normal or could it suggest a weak battery. (was last changed in 2015 its a bosch s4)
Yes, it does suggest a weak battery (most likely) or faulty charging (less likely, but possible). There are only two alternatives really.
1. Just buy a new battery.
2. A better, but more expensive option if a new battery is required, option would be to get the car's electrical charging (alternator) checked out to make sure that everything is working properly. If it is, then buy a new battery.

Whatever, get it sorted post haste to avoid
don't really want to end up in the middle of nowhere with a dead battery

·
Super Moderator
2,081 Posts
+ive had a few Hondas accords and civics
they don't like using the electrics while engine not running
I wouldn't worry too much but do keep a eye on it

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Yes only having radio on for 15 mins no internal or externals lights were on.

I was just taking some of the dash apart and thought I will try it again with the radio on as it has done this before.

I am getting a bosch or the yuasa battery for it anyways.

Would it be an easy job to tell if the alternator is working ok?

I am just a bit concerned now as I will be fitting dashcams to the car and don't really want them causing it to drain aswell.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi
It sounds to me like the battery is past its best. If the battery is not holding charge or is over 5 years old then it's probably best to replace it. If you have a multimeter you can test the voltage across the terminals. Static (engine not running) should be above 12.5 volts. A battery with even just 12.3 volts can cause problems with electrics and non starting. If you don't have a metre or are unsure then somewhere like KwikFit, ATS, Halfords or national tyres can run a test on it. With engine running I would expect to see an output of 14.3 volts. I ran a diagnostic test on m one today and the out put was consistent at 14.39 volts.

I replaced my battery recently and it made a big difference.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts