2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
Bought my Civic about 3 months ago. All ok, but about 2 weeks ago auto stop-start began to work intermittently. Instead of working it'd show an A with line through it. Sometimes it'd work, sometimes not.

Then it started showing the A with a battery sign. I figured battery was on its way out and wasn't good enough to handle stop-start. Yesterday on a frosty morning car wouldn't start, figured time to get battery changed. Halfords recommended their HB005 battery, so got one of those. Fitted it, it starts fine now, but stop-start not working at all. Still showing 'A' + battery sign, plus there's now a permanent warning sign on dash that stop-start isn't working.

Is this battery not a good match for cars with stop-start? If so what is the recommended? Previous battery was a "Varta StopStart 70ah 620a"

The new Halfords one says 60ah, not many other details.

https://www.halfords.com/motoring/bulbs-blades-batteries/car-batteries/halfords-hb005-lead-acid-12v-car-battery-3-year-guarantee

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,127 Posts
Ah, The battery they seem to have sold you is far smaller (In terms of AH / CCA) and is also traditional lead acid; and not compatible with stop start.

For something rather more robust, I'd recommend an AGM Battery:- https://www.halfords.com/motoring/bulbs-blades-batteries/car-batteries/halfords--096agm-start-stop-agm-12v-car-battery-5-year-guarantee

Is what I've fitted (It's the size used for the 2.2 Civic) - You may have to remove the plastic battery tray, but the regular holddown will fit over the battery without any trouble.

·
Premium Member
2,127 Posts
Oh, and to expand on my previous:- The Varta batteries (OEM) don't seem to last very well; I had to replace mine after 2 years - They are EFB Batteries, which are not as resistant to deep-cycling (i.e. Stop start use) as AGM Batteries - So whilst it costs a fair bit more, It's probably worth looking for an AGM Battery.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies. Taking the battery back to swap it. I usually turn stop-start off, not a fan of it.

·
Premium Member
337 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Oh, and to expand on my previous:- The Varta batteries (OEM) don't seem to last very well; I had to replace mine after 2 years - They are EFB Batteries, which are not as resistant to deep-cycling (i.e. Stop start use) as AGM Batteries - So whilst it costs a fair bit more, It's probably worth looking for an AGM Battery.
The Varta batteries are guaranteed for three years so maybe you should have taken it up with them if it erxpiured after two.

·
Premium Member
2,127 Posts
I was considering putting it in for the service to get a replacement, but in the end I didn't bother

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts