2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've been itching for one of these for a while, but which one?
SGS have a 400NM Ryobi for an absolute bargain right now, with only a 1.5Ah battery.
the Makita
DTW285Z (400NM) is also interesting me due to it's short length - so ideal for under-car work, and possibly brake caliper bolts. Add on a battery (4Ah) and charger at it starts to become a price justification issue. battery and charger seem to add £80. It's right at the top limit of budget.

It's not going to see hours of use - the general DIY stuff: summer/winter wheel swaps, brakes, suspension bolts etc - both at home and track days (if i need an unplanned brake change).

I dont have any existing tools from these companies but it would be nice to be able to swap batteries around in the future for more tools. Possibly an impact driver in the future.

2 questions really:
1) Ryobi or Makita? both seem very similar to me.
2) anyone own an impact wrench, and whats the battery life like with your Ah capacity? would a single 4Ah be worth it over just buying an additional battery for the Ryobi?

any thoughts/comments welcome.

·
Administrator
18,083 Posts
Makita for me, I have a Makita drill driver and it's been brilliant, the battery just keeps going. I've had it since Nov '12 and it gets used regularly. Had it out this evening...

·
Living the dream!
8,543 Posts
I have a bosch 18v 4ah lithium battery and even using this on site to be fair I could manage with 1 battery if I charged this over a break or at night, however this was a £330 twin battery kit around 3 years ago. On domestic kit you can buy a bosch with 2 x 1.3a batteries for around £120 and as I used to have this I can say for sure more than good enough for domestic use.

·
Super Moderator
2,223 Posts
i went to buy a makita set but on testing the milwauke and makita i went for the milwauke much smoother than the makita
mine has 4ah batterys and do last quite long to be honest but most are only a hour or so charge thease days

·
Bye bye Honda...
5,860 Posts
Have all makita tools that I use daily recommend
But I do have a Clarke 1000w 240v impact which is epic well worth the money if you have mains power that is
I had a Clarke CEW1000 ½" drive impact wrench and it failed to undo my crankshaft pulley bolt. In fact, it burnt out!

·
Bye bye Honda...
5,860 Posts
Are you sure you had it on forward as remember they have a reverse thread ? I've not come across a bolt yet that it could not remove .
Yes, it did operate both ways, but fortunately clockwise and anti-clockwise directions were covered early in my engineering apprenticeship back in 1978! I also broke quite a few other things along the way, including a T-bar and two extension rods... those crank pulley bolts can be surprisingly tight. Wedged a breaker bar down onto the floor in the end and used the starter motor to eventually shift it (luckily the injectors were out).

Point is, reverse direction or not, that Clarke burnt out after only a couple of minutes. Maybe just unlucky, but it put me off wanting any thing else from them.

·
Premium Member
2,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
finally bought one... went Ryobi R18IW3, 3 speed, 400nm and a 4Ah battery.
Price was right and currently available range seems good for future purchases.

pretty sure i'll be swapping to winter tyres later this week so get to try it out once it comes.

·
Super Moderator
2,223 Posts
Finally got 1 after looking forever. Ended up with a snap on with 2x 4ah batteries, charger and case of a mate
my mate has a pritty old snap-on impact gun and its brilliant
im sure you will be happy with it
what did you pay if you dont mind

·
Premium Member
2,236 Posts
I bought my nielsen one off ebay about 5 years ago 24v 3 batteries, charger £75 ...

just got a Milwaukee 3/8 M12 one which is pretty neat, going to get the 3/8 M12 ratchet too.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Hi i got the hitachi impact wrench it 18v 6 amps got it with both batteries and a charger its highly recommended at autoexpress

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

·
Ex-Pat Geordie!
2,310 Posts
I've got an Aldi 18v Special, cost £39 and does fine by me. Battery is manufactured by Bosch and the design looks exactly the same as a De Walt.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts