2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,

Just awaiting delivery of my 57-plate ES and wondering about battery performance as I have been reading some pretty grim stories on this forum! One thing that was mentioned was that leaving the lights in the auto position could be a factor. I am currently driving a 55-plate Golf GTTDI with auto headlights and have left the car for over three weeks now and it's started first time. Surely leaving the lights on 'auto' is a good thing - I leave them on auto in the Golf all the time...

·
Registered
676 Posts
I leave mine on auto all the time. Never had a problem.
what was the longest time you left it on AUTO?

(I don't know why is the Civ so sensitive on the AUTO mode.. when the IGN is off, lights and control of lights should be also OFF!
can it be that some control units go just only in stand-by if you keep AUTO on?)

·
Premium Member
645 Posts
One thing that was mentioned was that leaving the lights in the auto position could be a factor
Not a factor at all - mine has been in the off position twice now and I still get a flat battery!

·
Premium Member
418 Posts
Had my car 5 days and the battery went flat.

Worse than that thou was that the battery does seem to hold charge, the alternator is working but I can't seem to charge the battery.

Car is back at the dealer being fixed....

·
Registered
223 Posts
The problem with Falt batteries now is that because they are calcium based, if they go very flat the alternator will never fully charge them back up again. They need to have a 16v trickle charge to get them back to peak performance and then the alternator will cope

·
Administrator
20,945 Posts
When mine arrived I noticed that the battery self-check window was not showing the blue circle. This I considered to be expected as it has only had a basic manufacturers charge, or similar, and has presumably stood around for a while.

It was only after 2 weeks of 20 miles each way per day journeys that it started showing what I would call a clear blue circle.

With all the electronics I'm not surprised some are going flat quite quickly when new.

And - as stated above, once you completely discharge a battery you will more than likely continue to have problems.

I was told a while ago that batteries have a two stage charge process. The first stage is the initial level that is usuakky performed by the manufacturers, and the second stage is the area that is kept topped up by the car alternator.

If you cause the battery to discharge through both areas then the car alternator will only ever recharge the second area.
Because the first area is still discharged, this will drag down the second area very quickly, even overnight can be enough, even after a journey of 100 miles or more.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Had car over ayear, and it has had some spells of well over a week or two with no use, and babtteray has been fine!

·
Premium Member
2,763 Posts
The battery, like any other part of a car, needs looking after.

If you do lots of short trips or only go out once or twice a week locally, then you need to give the battery a boost as it still draws power when parked in the garage, and the alternator will not be able to compensate.

Have a look here (#31):

http://www.civinfo.com/forum/bugs-faults-irritations/6120-flat-battery-after-hols-2.html

I have just had mine on a trickle charger as it hasn't been used in over a week, apart from a couple of local journeys, and we are going up to Hollin Hall in Macclesfield for our son's wedding on Friday/Saturday, and I want it to start from my garage!

·
Premium Member
914 Posts
what was the longest time you left it on AUTO?

(I don't know why is the Civ so sensitive on the AUTO mode.. when the IGN is off, lights and control of lights should be also OFF!
can it be that some control units go just only in stand-by if you keep AUTO on?)
I´ve had them on auto for about 1 month (2,2 diesel), no problem at all - seems to depend on specific setups (as third party accessories?)

·
estranged
391 Posts
The cars that discharge their battery on a regular basis are faulty. If your car has the fault then leaving lights/wipers on auto won't make any difference. If your car doesn't have the fault then you will be fine, whether you leave lights/wipers on auto or not.

So, leave them on :)

·
King of the rodeo
4,824 Posts
I've have left mine for four days at a time with no trickle charger attached, The longest I travel per day is a 30mile return journey to work and never hd a problem.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Nothing ... nothing ... nothing at all !!!
Of corse i bought mine in Feb 2008, but for those earlier models, please kindly get your computer and controll system reprogrammed and updated to the 2007 or later models.
Only Honda can do it !!

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Came to use my car yesterday flat battery..
Noticed the interior light buttons were depressed :mad: so i had left the interior lights on
Last used the car Sunday afternoon.
Recharged the battery last night good 24hrs...
Started first time this morning:p

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Got one of them 'Battery Conditioners'

When I remember to put it on everything is great.

......but Charlie does not always remember!

"What did the priest say about sin in his sermon?
......he was against it!"

·
Premium Member
702 Posts
i just left my car at the airport for a week whilst i was away with everything in auto and it started up fine!

i wouldnt worry about any of these 'problems' untill it actually happens.

·
Registered
103 Posts
i just left my car at the airport for a week whilst i was away with everything in auto and it started up fine!

i wouldnt worry about any of these 'problems' untill it actually happens.
Yes ... ! why worry for the morrow !!? as the morrow holds its own day ! Time will tell.;)

·
Registered
233 Posts
Battery

There clearly are cars with battery issues (ask any manufacturer what their biggest warranty claim is for,guess what the answer is ?Well it rhymes with flattery!)
Although I'm not convinced the issue is with the battery but something draining it!

From my understanding of the issue it seems the oil burner is more prone to this problem!
I have company van at home and rarely use civ for 3/4 days and then only local journeys............No problem yet!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts