2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. Having a seriously annoying problem.
Ive got a 2.2 ex diesel 2006 plate. And the battery keeps going flat. Every couple of days. Even if i drive it everyday. Sometimes if I leave it a day or two. It's just dies and I have to jump start it.

Now reading around these forums I think it may be the MICU fuse box but it can't say for sure. I've checked my VIN number and there aren't any recalls for my model. What on earth should I do?

How much would Honda charge me? Any way to fix this?

·
Registered
414 Posts
Have you measured the voltage across the terminals when the engine is running? That will help eliminate alternator problems.

How old is the battery? It could just be passed it.

Have you measured current drain with everything off? That will help eliminate parasitic drain issues.

Lots you can check before resorting to a dealer.

·
Premium Member
822 Posts
Try disconnecting the Bluetooth hands free unit, panel under the steering wheel, by your right knee

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have you measured the voltage across the terminals when the engine is running? That will help eliminate alternator problems.

How old is the battery? It could just be passed it.

Have you measured current drain with everything off? That will help eliminate parasitic drain issues.

Lots you can check before resorting to a dealer.
Thanks for the swift reply. The battery it new because u thought that was the issue initially. Only around a month it so old. I don't actually own a multimeter to measure the current but I'll get hold of one and do it. Any particular numbers I should be seeing?

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
If it's the original battery it's probably struggling to hold its charge. Get a new battery from halfords or somewhere.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Thanks for the swift reply. The battery it new because u thought that was the issue initially. Only around a month it so old. I don't actually own a multimeter to measure the current but I'll get hold of one and do it. Any particular numbers I should be seeing?
When the battery is being charged by the alternator you should see about 14.7v across the terminals (put the lights and heated rear screen on as well to make sure it's still charging when there's a load on the system).

If you can check for parasitic current drain the load should be tiny when everything is off. Not sure of the acceptable values but there are plenty of threads on here that should help with that. I'd check the charging first then work from there.

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
I thought all EX's came with Bluetooth as standard? Mine certainly did. It might be worth checking to see if the module is there anyway. If it's plugged in then unplug it and see how you get on. It was the cause of the drain on mine and the HFT didn't work either. I did the oven bake method on the module and now it works fine and no more drain!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I thought all EX's came with Bluetooth as standard? Mine certainly did. It might be worth checking to see if the module is there anyway. If it's plugged in then unplug it and see how you get on. It was the cause of the drain on mine and the HFT didn't work either. I did the oven bake method on the module and now it works fine and no more drain!
Hi. I wasn't even aware the car had Bluetooth. Anyway I just popped the panels off and I found the module. Just removed it. So let's see what happens on that front. I pray that's the solution!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Before I removed it I tried to pair it using the guides. Nothing happened. Would not enter pairing mode. Not that I need it anyway. What is this oven bake method you speak of?

·
Administrator
17,941 Posts
Hopefully unplugging the HFT resolves your battery drain.

If it does, then it confirms that your HFT is kaput. You may try fixing it be reflowing the soldered joints, carefully in the oven. It's a risky task but if the unit isn't working then what do you have to loose?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hopefully unplugging the HFT resolves your battery drain.

If it does, then it confirms that your HFT is kaput. You may try fixing it be reflowing the soldered joints, carefully in the oven. It's a risky task but if the unit isn't working then what do you have to loose?
Appreciate all the support and advice guys. That why I love these forums. Fingers crossed the unit is actually dodgy lol.

·
Administrator
17,941 Posts
Appreciate all the support and advice guys. That why I love these forums. Fingers crossed the unit is actually dodgy lol.
No prob's.

First we need to isolate the battery drain. Then if the HFT is busted we can look at ressurection it.

Good luck.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So car has been starting everyday without any sign of fail. Who'd have thought. Dam hft module. I'd still like to check the battery with a multimeter but don't really know how to use the device

·
Administrator
17,941 Posts
Did the multimeter not come with a manual? ;)

A simple voltage check across the battery terminals will tell you if the alternator is working. You should see v14 when the engine is running.

Then Google search 'parasitic battery drain', they are some useful videos around.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts