2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how long would you expect a battery to last in a 2007 2.2 cdti EX ?

i put a brand new battery in May 2014 and it seems with this cold snap it has just started to fail.

noticed last week it was a bit of a struggle, so wasn't surprised this evening when it failed to start. i measured the resting voltage yesterday and it was 12.2v which from what i've read is low. a minimum of 12.4-12.6v is suggested for a battery in good condition.

i don't drive long distances, my daily commute is only 6 miles each way.

has the battery given up before it should have or is this down to my short (ish) journey? i would have thought 12 miles a day would be sufficient to keep the battery in good order??

thanks

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
The battery in my old 2.2 EX lasted 5 years before it needed replacing. If you battery is failing so soon it could be that your car has a fault where there is a constant power drain. This was a fairly common fault with the hands free telephone system of the EX. Have you checked for power drain whilst car is off?

·
Administrator
18,026 Posts
Your recent battery should have lasted longer than it appears to. Don't most modern batteries come with at least 2 year warranties?

Are your commutes mainly in town or on the open road? Low rpm use, around town, may struggle to put enough juice back to the battery.

Try unplugging the HFT unit and see if the battery improves.

·
Whistlin' on a Tuesday...
1,165 Posts
Your recent battery should have lasted longer than it appears to. Don't most modern batteries come with at least 2 year warranties?

Are your commutes mainly in town or on the open road? Low rpm use, around town, may struggle to put enough juice back to the battery.

Try unplugging the HFT unit and see if the battery improves.
I would have expected your battery to last 5 years without any problem.

A lot of batteries come with 3 year warranties. Take a look at yours and any paperwork. You maybe able to contact the battery's supplier to test and if necessary, replace.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
just been out to Lidl and bought one of their chargers so have it charging now. see how i get on.

battery is a Lion and has a 3 or 4 year warranty. i suspect they will say there is nothing wrong and it's down to my short journeys combined with the cold snap (therefore using heaters, lights, demisters etc. etc. + harder cold starting).....

·
Whistlin' on a Tuesday...
1,165 Posts
Had my car 5 years & never replaced the battery
I also had my 8G civic for 5 years and no problems (had my Merc 8 years before I needed to replace it).

OP, good idea to put a trickle charge in as you are doing.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Is the battery a sealed for life, or one that requires topping up on occasion? The two year warranty ones seem to last just about that long before a cell goes down, the 3 year warranty ones are more reliable in my experience, you get what you pay for. The original factory ones last for many years usually, if looked after.

·
Living the dream!
8,542 Posts
how long would you expect a battery to last in a 2007 2.2 cdti EX ?

i put a brand new battery in May 2014 and it seems with this cold snap it has just started to fail.

A lot depends on the quality of the battery you fitted, a cheap 1 year warranty battery will last around a year as a rule of thumb while a good 5 year battery should be good for 5-8 years

·
Premium Member
547 Posts
battery is a LionQUOTE]

My guess is that is where your problem lies - I wouldn't use a Lithium Ion battery on a car not designed for such - they are like AGM or Gel batteries and need special care AFAIK and probably don't suffer cold weather well...

·
Premium Member
145 Posts
Regular short journeys in winter kills batteries. Low temperatures significantly reduce the output, even on new batteries. Hence, on a freezing morning if you warm a flat battery with a hair dryer it will often start the engine. Headlamps, fog/driving lamps,heated screens, heaters/aircon along with the initial cold starting all drain the battery significantly and short trips will fail to recharge it sufficiently until the one morning you need it to start and it wont!
Longer journeys or a regular overnight charge is the only answer.
Cars covering regular high miles rarely suffer from failed batteries.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts