2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys.

Driving the car a few weeks ago could hear a whining noise like a supercharger. This noise went after two days then my battery light came on and went off again.

For the past two weeks, the battery light has come on and gone off. I took it to a garage and they said my battery is goosed. So I bought a new battery yesterday while fitting it, I thought it was strange that it didn't get that spark from the positive. Anyways once installed the car battery light was fully illuminated and when I put my lights on all the dash lights dimmed.

I am pulling my hair out trying to find the cause, the garage said my alternator is charging, but I am unsure if it is or not due to the noise I heard from the engine.

I do have a seller who has an alternator in stock which I can purchase and pick up today. However, I want to ask your opinions on it first.

Car - Honda Civic FN2 Type R 2007

Cheers

Kev

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
UPDATE***

Just had it tested at Kwik Fit.

The battery is fine, the alternator is charging the battery.

However, he said something is drawing power from the battery when the engine is off and the car is locked.

I can't think what could be causing it, I haven't done any aftermarket mods that would take power from the battery.

The only thing that I do have a problem with is condensation and rainwater in the rear lights?

Regards

Kev

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
still sounds like an alternator problem to me if the battery light starts to glow when the engine is running

a quick test is to monitor the voltage at the battery while the engine is running with a multi meter while keeping the engine revs at about 2000 rpm then start turning the lights , heater blower and whatever else you can think of
keep an eye on the voltage it should still read 14. odd volts despite having the lights etc on

if the reading drops to 12 / 13 volts ( while engine is revving above 2000 rpm ) the alternator isn't doing it's job

if the red battery light is on while the engine is running it's usually the alternator even if it does appear to be putting a charge out

·
Super Moderator
2,114 Posts
id agree with the above
if battery/charge light is on while running the voltage is too low
but it could also be a bad connection somewhere earth leads are common problems on all cars

1 - 6 of 6 Posts