2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2013 1.6Diesel
Had the start/stop warning come up saying Battery issue. Checked the resting voltage of the battery and it's only 11v!! Started and voltage rose to 13.8v. So looks like battery.
Then I plugged in an ELM 327 ODB reader and logged the voltage vs RPM and I think it's the battery that is failing but I have never seen an alternator 'start up' and 'shut down' quite so often but then again this car was designed to be economical so maybe that's how they do it?
The graph is was recorded on the way home and the Stop/Start light is OFF so the system think it's OK.

So anyone look at the graph and have a guess at battery or alternator or maybe something else???
Voltage is RED
RPM is BLUE

Cheers everyone.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
If its the original battery my money would be on that.
Cheers, yes original battery so probably that.
Just managed to order one from Cox parts at £76 delivered tomorrow (with forum discount :) ).

I am guessing they are a bit tight to fit but not too bad?

Cheers

·
Super Moderator
2,203 Posts
think id try to charge the battery and do another test with a charged battery
if its still up and down you never know both could be faulty

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
think id try to charge the battery and do another test with a charged battery
if its still up and down you never know both could be faulty
Cheers. Battery should arrive tomorrow so hopefully that sorts it. If not then might have to dig deeper.
It has been turning over a bit slower over the last few weeks, plus I have had a glow plug down for the last couple of months and had it fixed last week. So that will be pulling a bit more on startup.

Unfortunately I need the car to be working for the next 2 weeks as I am on call 24/7. So I thought battery would be easiest and cheapest. As it's original battery I think it's fairly safe bet :)

Cheers.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Battery arrived and fitting was megga easy. Just undo 3 10mm nuts with long reach socket and lift out battery. Unpack new battery and blow of vermiculite packing, slotted in and tighten bolts. All good.
Fingers crossed that will cure it.

Cheers

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had similar issues with mine to begin with....low voltage from the battery and stop start disabled even with a good run out.

In the end it was the loom in the tailgate had water in it? Although it got worse with a boot open warning and canbus went mad before that was diagnosed.

Thread was.... Rapid Boot warning followed by Check Engine

1 - 7 of 7 Posts