2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Whats the amp rating of the positive wire for the FN2 battery? I want to relocate my battery to the boot so need a long enough positive lead?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
Not sure on the rating of the standard cable im afraid.

But it's not just the current rating, but also the voltage drop. Will need a larger cable than the standard if you're running a longer length to keep the voltage drop roughly the same.

·
Premium Member
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure on the rating of the standard cable im afraid.

But it's not just the current rating, but also the voltage drop. Will need a larger cable than the standard if you're running a longer length to keep the voltage drop roughly the same.
Nice one cheers.

·
3,964 Posts
The voltage drop depends on the current drawn and the cable's resistance (V=IR. Ohms law). But, as implied above a bit of wire that will take (say) 100A starting current with only a small drop in voltage will have a larger drop the longer it is.
So you really need to wire it with cable that is thicker than the existing battery to starter motor.
There are tables of wire current carrying capacity and resistance per metre (or whatever).
Having banged on about that, I have no idea of either the current rating of the existing cable or how much bigger your replacement needs to be. You should probably consult an auto electrician who can calculate the gauge needed once you have found the length it needs to be. My guess would be that it's between 2 and 0 AWG.

AWG tables are HERE

1 - 5 of 5 Posts