2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, hope your you are all well.

I'm hoping somebody can help me.

I recently purchased a civic (08) but I've had a slight issue with the battery.

Basically, I've needed to get three jump starts in a week...

The first time, I was sat in the car with the radio on for an hour or so (engine off) and when I came to start it, the battery was dead (I know, my own fault).

After this, I trickle charged the battery until full and all was fine...

A few days later, I used the after market Bluetooth connector in the car (engine off, I know I'm a dope!) And the same thing happened!

The AA came out, started the car and checked that the battery was charging, which it was.

Anyway, today i got into the car, turned on the radio, with no engine, ate a sandwich which took about 5 minutes, and again the battery was dead!

Now yes I know these are all my fault, but surely the battery should be able to run for a few minutes without killing the battery?!

Had anybody else had anything like this?

Maybe the battery needs replacing?
Or maybe the Bluetooth system is draining the battery before the engine starts?
Or maybe something else?

Any help would be brilliant!

Cheers

Andy

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

·
Bye bye Honda...
5,791 Posts
Maybe the battery needs replacing?

Or maybe the Bluetooth system is draining the battery before the engine starts?

Or maybe something else?
You've obviously done some research, and have identified the common reasons for Honda cars to have flat battery problems. But it's practically impossible to say which of the above 3 options applies in this instance, without making tests using a multimeter.

As the AA have already tested that the battery is charging, then that suggests the alternator is OK. So either your car has a parasitic drain (such as the Bluetooth module) or your battery is knackered. Hard to check the battery voltage after standing to prove it's OK when the car has a parasitic drain problem, so you need to do some tests first to make sure a circuit isn't drawing current when it shouldn't, this guide is good and has been recommended before on this forum...

·
Bye bye Honda...
5,791 Posts
Ignore the angry cleaning guys... they're a bit sensitive at the moment because of the Sahara sand issue!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So as you have probably already figured out, I know basically nothing about cars!

But I've got a plan...

I think first I need to have the battery tested (I think halfords do a free test, or maybe do my own test, charge the battery, disconnect from the car, then check the voltage after it's been sitting for a while)

If that shows that the battery is fine, my next step will be to follow the procedure from the parasitic draw test video. Measuring the draw first with everything switched off, second with ignition in position 1 to start up the Bluetooth, and see how much draw there is there.

Then I guess if it is the Bluetooth, I can start pulling fuses until I find the one that powers it! I saw on another forum a fuse map, and one was labeled "Accessory", (think it was slot 35) and I'm assuming that is where the fuse for the Bluetooth would be? (Maybe someone could verify this?).

Anyway, fingers crossed! I'll let you know!

Andy

·
1.8EX Milano Red 2007
910 Posts
If you have only just brought the car, it may have sat on the forecourt for a while without the engine being started, (mine had, failed in its first winter with me)

It may just be that the garage only jump started the car when ever anyone wanted to test drive it but left it to go flat between customers.
If there is no battery drain buy a new battery, Bosch ones are great.
you haven't said which model of civic you have as they use different ones (and If its the 1.8 petrol don't believe what halfords say, their records show the wrong battery which is £30 more than the one you actually need and about 3 inches too long!!!!)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi Freddie,

Yes I've had it for 2 weeks now, and it's had plenty of long runs, I'm hoping that it is just a battery problem rather than a drain.

And I've got an 08 1.8 petrol.

Andy

·
1.8EX Milano Red 2007
910 Posts
For the 1.8. if you want a Bosch one its a s4 021. Mines been in 18 months and it's doing good. While jacking up the rear of my girlfriends corsa earlier (suspension has a lean on it and I don't think its the springs), I had the boot open for half hour at least if not an hour and it started fine with no issues.

Don't judge me. I was born to be awesome not perfect.

·
1.8EX Milano Red 2007
910 Posts
Oh and should be about £55/£60. Halfords want to sell you an £89 one!

Don't judge me. I was born to be awesome not perfect.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts