2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting Stoptech BBK fitted on Monday, they're used and the pads have done circa 400 miles but were bedded in by previous owner. The rotors are brand new and I want to put a proper transfer. layer down, but I'll also have to drive back from the tuners in traffic etc.

Can anyone give a step by step guide to the procedure for bedding in the rotors?

And any suggestions on how to do it on the road during the day?

·
Premium Member
2008 Civic Type R
789 Posts
Depends entirely on the pad material, are they reasonably high temp ones like DS2500 / PBS etc? The higher the performance of the pad, the hotter you need to get them to transfer, usually. Typical OEM quality pads have a really low operating temperature hence will bed in on their own in normal driving conditions.

Give the rotors a really good degrease if they are new too. Can take an age to burn off any residue from new if you don't.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi SilverCider

Sorry, should have said. Stoptech sports.

x
From what I've read it's 10 x 60-10mph, followed by cruising to cool them right down. And repeat 2-3 times. Making sure not to get ABS intervention and not stopping until it's fully cooled.

I could come to a halt easing on the hand brake if needs be.

My concern is driving an hour on motorway and little city driving home before being able to go out at night to do it in safe place.

·
Premium Member
2008 Civic Type R
789 Posts
I should think that you will be fine driving before doing the bedding in procedure just don't expect full performance from them until it's done.

·
Premium Member
439 Posts
I did mine DS2500 up to 10x 40-20mph, about 5-7 times 60-30mph, then stopped and checked for pad material transfer. Although for a few hundred miles I tried not to stay on the traffic lights with the braked depressed to avoid pad footprint on the disc.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So the tuners that fitted them did a few stops just to put a little transfer down. And I drove home via motorway steady and was careful to avoid anywhere I might need to stop or break heavily. Then I took them out at night and did the 10 decelerations, a 15 min drive with no breaking and and then repeated.

Frustratingly the ABS kicked in a few times, but early on when I wasn't expecting it, just because it was a bit wet, I came off the brakes immediately so I don't think it messed up the transfer. They're working fine and no juddering.

Just out of interest, how does that affect the rears (standard discs, ds2500)?

And what about when I replace the rear discs and pads and bed them in, assume it doesn't affect the already run in discs to get up to high temps and cool down like that?

·
Premium Member
439 Posts
You will be alright.
Rears do little work, so I just replaced with oem pads.
Bedding procedure at the rear brakes wont affect front imo.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts