2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thats right my car is scratched to death! :(

I usually state that i don't want them to touch the car whilst its in for a service, but as it was proper mucky and the fact that i've been ultra busy with work/family/detailing etc my civic's been a bit neglected in 2k miles it hasn't been cleaned and it was covered in salt. So i thought, what is the worst that can happen if the dealer cleans it...a little marring/hazzing maybe??

But no...instead i got a 2ft long scratches on my drivers side quarter like a keyed mark!!! [smilie=cwl.gif]

I noticed it when i went to fill up with petrol under the forecourt lights, i would have checked it over when it was delivered at work but the car was delivered in the dark and our receptionist had my keys off the honda chap.

I instantly rang the dealer to complain and they said they will look at it tomorrow, they were quite apologetic about it. But i'm not sure what they can do if they can't even clean it properly in the first place?!

I know i can sort this out myself, but its the principle of it, plus its was bloody immaculate before (under the dirt and salt!!). After all it was in for a service not additional ASBO style damage!

What do you guys think...what should i get them to do with it or pay for? I can't see them paying for a detail even at my costs!!

Proper P'eed off! So much effort has gone it my motors paintwork :(

Dan :scream1:

·
Civinfo's Bulb Supplier
13,427 Posts
I feel for you, but you of all people should know better mate. The amount of cleaners I have seen with dirty water and the same sponge used on all the cars after being kicked around the forecourt a few times.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I feel for you, but you of all people should know better mate. The amount of cleaners I have seen with dirty water and the same sponge used on all the cars after being kicked around the forecourt a few times.
I know...it kills me!!! But work is ****** crazy at the mo. No excuse really!

I feel like a **** for not mentioning it now. I had planned to boost the finish on it soon and correct a few lite marks, so i was prepared for minor marks...but a key mark! :(

·
Registered
10,247 Posts
When I owned my little Citroen AX many years ago, the car went in for a service and the next day under the bright sunlight, I noticed the passenger door was badly scratched. I went back to the garage and after much complaining I got them to respray the door at their expense!

Do not let the garage get away with it if they are at fault, they should be more careful than to damage a customer's property.

Good luck with it, and let us all know how you get on.

·
Administrator
20,945 Posts
Anyone see Fifth Gear the other evening ?

They detailed 3 identical cars bonnets then sent them off for a clean.

1) Local hand wash firm scratched the bonnet fairly severly with one of those blade things. (Damage rating 7/10)

2) Jet Wash brush completely ruined the bonnet because it was loaded with grit from peeps who just leave it lying on the ground. (Damage rating 9/10)

3) Normal spinning wheels was the best of the bunch but still caused minor damage. (Damage rating 5/10)

·
geekess
3,638 Posts
Thats right my car is scratched to death! :(

I usually state that i don't want them to touch the car whilst its in for a service, but as it was proper mucky and the fact that i've been ultra busy with work/family/detailing etc my civic's been a bit neglected in 2k miles it hasn't been cleaned and it was covered in salt. So i thought, what is the worst that can happen if the dealer cleans it...a little marring/hazzing maybe??

But no...instead i got a 2ft long scratches on my drivers side quarter like a keyed mark!!! [smilie=cwl.gif]
Hopefully it wasn't Startin who did that. Mines going in next Weds.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hopefully it wasn't Startin who did that. Mines going in next Weds.
No it wasn't Startin, it was Avondale at Stratford.

Well i went back to them yesterday and had a little moan in person. I started the conversation by dishing out my business card which got a funny reaction from the service man, white as a sheet!

We looked over the car, the first time i'd actually seen it in the daylight (travelled home from work in the dark and to work in the dark). I noticed several other marks and walked the service chap around the car I was all nicely nice, just interested to see how they'd try and sort it really.

At which point he went off to get the dealer valeter. I was pleasant surprised he was english!

The valeter proceeded to tell me that the scratch must have been done by someone walking past it and not during cleaning....I told him no chance! I showed him my business card and he shut up, i know the difference between accidental damage and washing damage, this was a washing error as there where marks all over the car, in very a uniform style.

He tried to polished it out by hand, which was quite funny, i mentioned that if he can polished i'll hand him the keys. After he sweated a bit he gave up....I still was not happy with the results, so he said he would take the car to 'mop it' a term i hate!!

I let him have a bash at it...seemed only fair after his efforts with the hand polish..ha! I was actually surprise that he got a little bit of correction...but he left loads of buffer trails across the paint. Realising i wasn't going to get anything better, or any free parts, i accepted the car and put it all down to experience....

After chatting with the valeter a bit more and how soft honda paint is, he showed me a 5dr civic he had just cleaned, i was utterly shocked....the condition of the paint on a 58 plate was so bad...strangly enough, it had the same marks down the side as mine did, but they where much deeper, made my heart sink!! :(

Oh well, i know i've gone on about in the past that dealers can't clean cars, and being foolish enough to let them loose on mine, even though i'm a detailing nut. We all have a moment of weakness, i guess this was mine.

Ah at least i get to run the DA over it again and boost that shiney shiney deep bronze! Every cloud! :D

·
You're or your..........
2,782 Posts
When you're in a business you never have time to do that "thing" for yourself.

Hopefully you sort it soon mate. (well you are the best person too aint you :D)

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
When you're in a business you never have time to do that "thing" for yourself.

Hopefully you sort it soon mate. (well you are the best person too aint you :D)
That is so true!! Cheers, i'm actually looking forward to spending the time on it now to correct it up to show standard. :D

·
Administrator
19,165 Posts
Sorry to hear about the dealers cleaning nightmare. Well at least it gives you an excuse to work on your car....for once :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts