2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Administrator
20,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a few minutes to spare yesterday so I popped into a dealer that is en-route home.

I'm very impressed with the new seat fabrics. They appear far more heavy duty and won't 'cricket pitch' with use.

The dash plastic where they have replaced the piano black is far better and the grille doesn't look that bad 'in the flesh'.

The main reason I went in though was to get a 09MY brochure - which hasn't been produced yet !!!!!

I got the old flannel about I had better order now because they are in short supply - yeah right. He did say that there is a shortage of used Civic's and that he would be able to offer an attractive p/x deal to get my car on to the forecourt. He did point to the forecourt and there was loads of gaps.

Having seen the new fabrics leather is not now a neccessity so I need to trawl the Honda website and 'spreadsheet' the EX GT and ES GT specifications to work out the differences v price to see which is the best value.

·
Premium Member
1,713 Posts
Good luck with the searches! Don't forget to report on the test drive if you get to that stage:)

·
Administrator
20,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
At the moment I have a dealer with first refusal already lined up in case I do decide.

I was just intrigued to see one and being as I had a few minutes to spare and I pass a dealer on my way home................

I just need to compare the ES GT missing bits and compare the price difference.

I think - I'm looking at a ES GT with parking sensors and an auto dimming mirror v EX GT

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
I managed to pick up a small 2009MY revisions brochure today.

Doesn't give much info. It mainly talks about the new exterior and the auto. No info about the diesels at all. Also mentions changes to the Type S.

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
I wonder when they started making the UK Spec 2009 models?
Quite a while ago, there are plenty in stock.

At the moment I have a dealer with first refusal already lined up in case I do decide.
Krem, if it helps I'm borrowing a 2.2 EXGT 5 door at the end of Feb, and I'll be writing a full comprehensive comparison with my 06 car then.

·
Registered
881 Posts
I saw a transporter load of cars leaving the factory today and heading off down the M4 to I presume Avonmouth. There were 2 championship White Type R's on the back.

Now I know that is a pretty usual movement, but I see it as a positive, in that these cars were not heading to the stockpile facility at Wroughton Airfield that they started to rent before Christmas.

I have no idea if they have got any cars at Wroughton yet, but as the factory closes this Friday then if they haven't, hopefully the stocks will just be at Southampton and Avonmouth.

Will be interesting to see the smmt sales figures next week.

·
Administrator
20,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Krem, if it helps I'm borrowing a 2.2 EXGT 5 door at the end of Feb, and I'll be writing a full comprehensive comparison with my 06 car then.

What is intruging me is the comment you made about the softer suspension, no dealers seem to have any info on any modifications!

What I'm looking for is one of those lists they do with the bullets to show what's got what so I can compare.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Make sure you get a really decent test drive to establish that the suspension is MATERIALLY better.
Its very easy on a short test drive to think that its actually OK as you are concentrating on other aspects (well I was when I first drove the 06 Civic 8G) and not paying enough attention to the fundamentals (well I didn't!).

Since you are already a Civic veteran, you will be better placed to concentrate on the changes. I think for all of us our first drive in an 8G Civic was dominated by the (impressive) interior design - which tended to detract from its less impressive points.

Personally - unless they have made major changes (and I don't think they have), I'd be surprised if its actually much better.

Good luck.

·
Bournemouth Belle
900 Posts
Have you not seen today's papers?? Honda have doubled the space they rent at Southampton docks to 20 acres to store... wait for it.....

8000 Civics and CR-Vs!!!!!

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
But does this include 2.2 diesels, or just the new autos and 1.4 models which is all that any dealer I've spoken to will acknowledge exist? They can't even order 09 diesels on their systems, apparently. I've been told that the diesels won't be produced until the factory re-opens, hence a possible 4-5 month wait.

There are too many variations of 'the truth' about 09 model diesel availability for me to be convinced at the moment, though I've no doubt about the genuineness of the contributors here.

·
Administrator
20,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Managed to get some printed details at last :)

The ES GT comes with parking sensors which is a bonus.

Noise has been reduced even further through improvements made to the gear changes, suspension and cabin insulation

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
There are too many variations of 'the truth' about 09 model diesel availability for me to be convinced at the moment, though I've no doubt about the genuineness of the contributors here.
There have been plenty made, possibly less than the ideal amount (because of the cost of fuel when these were built). The 09 diesel "launch" has yet to happen (so dealers will tell you there are none), and I don't know when the launch will be. Honda naturally will want to shift as many of the heaps of 08 cars as possible first.

·
Administrator
20,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Have a look on the Honda website for individual details as it's all there now.

Take no notice of the optional extras as they seem to let you select any item whether it's standard on your model or not.

The only item currently confusing me is the carpet mats. They are not mentioned as a standard item (even on the EX GT) and they do not appear as an option.

I've got the ES GT Auto with flaps, dimmable mirror and 5 year service in mind but I'm £1800 short in my budget based on RRP and Parkers used prices :(

1 - 20 of 46 Posts