2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
My sticker's crooked
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new to the site, been coming here for a number of weeks but only registered a couple of days ago.

I wanted to ask if there are any Belgian Type R owners active on this forum?

I'm planning on buying a new car sometime next year and the Civic is the lead contender so far. At this point I'm considering both Type S and R, big problem however will be scoring a test drive in a Type R as I get the impression Honda Belgium and its dealers aren't too keen on letting anyone touch their showroom specimens. :mad: What I'm interested in most is the firm ride, I think I'd be able to handle it but perhaps it's best to actually test it out before throwing 25900+ € (not including the one time 2500 € tax to put it on the road + additional annual tax and insurance payments) out the window, no?

Which brings me to my actual question: Did you manage to get a test ride?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Hallo....
And welcome ;)

The belgians are all over this site, just take a look in the member list...

They should get back to you soon.... :cool:

·
TYPE R GT (R-15016)
2,224 Posts
Hello and welcome to Civinfo

·
BJJ IS NOT JUST FOR XMAS
4,720 Posts
Welcome to the madness

·
Registered
337 Posts
Nope not many dealers have test rides. The only somewhat larger dealers (Antwerps, Zaventem and Diest) have got a showroom model, however. You might try a get a testride there.

I can't with good faith recommend Diest. They gave me horrible service.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'm Belgian, and I own a Type R :)

But I didn't succeed in getting a test drive in Belgium before i bought one. Lucky for me, I was in the UK some weeks before the purchase and had no trouble getting a test drive there :)
Also in the Netherlands it seems to be easier to get a test drive.

But if you want you can always get a passenger drive in my car. (Nope, you can't drive it)

·
geekess
3,638 Posts
How do Honda in Belgium ever expect to sell any CTRs if they can't offer test drives. :confused:

Don't buy a Type R without driving it on lots of different roads first. Its not for everyone. But then how can you buy any car without test driving it first??

·
Registered
102 Posts
How do Honda in Belgium ever expect to sell any CTRs if they can't offer test drives. :confused:

Don't buy a Type R without driving it on lots of different roads first. Its not for everyone. But then how can you buy any car without test driving it first??
Tried the same at the local mazda dealer.
Sorry, not possible to testdrive a mazda 3 mps. But you can order one and wait 6 month, og you can buy this "new one"... Pretty strange, as the wheels were full of brake dust....... and the exhaust pretty dirty..

damn hustlers, bet they have been driving it around....

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
i spotted a red type R @ spa franchorchamps a couple of weeks ago. License plate started with AS*-***
Was this you?

Hi, I'm new to the site, been coming here for a number of weeks but only registered a couple of days ago.

I wanted to ask if there are any Belgian Type R owners active on this forum?

I'm planning on buying a new car sometime next year and the Civic is the lead contender so far. At this point I'm considering both Type S and R, big problem however will be scoring a test drive in a Type R as I get the impression Honda Belgium and its dealers aren't too keen on letting anyone touch their showroom specimens. :mad: What I'm interested in most is the firm ride, I think I'd be able to handle it but perhaps it's best to actually test it out before throwing 25900+ € (not including the one time 2500 € tax to put it on the road + additional annual tax and insurance payments) out the window, no?

Which brings me to my actual question: Did you manage to get a test ride?

·
Registered
337 Posts

Because the service is not on par with the UK. Believe me:). Most Honda dealers here do not the the capital for purchasing a type R just for this. They can't have every model in every trim, so they say.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Wasn't ready to pay the road tax/insurance premium for the Type R. It is not fast enough to justify the difference in price/tax/insurance with the Diesel imo.

Having said that I now ordered a Audi TTS :TTurbo:(272 bhp. 0-62mph in 5.2) which does justify the difference in price/tax/insurance imo.

·
Registered
62 Posts

I actually bought mine without a test drive. But it was different for me as I used to own a DC5 type-s, and, hence, knew what hondas were about. I also ordered my coilovers before I had the car. lol

Rosse_modest,
If you decide to order a CTR, you might want to think about calling the Honda dealer in Luxembourg, and asking them for a quote, as I only paid about 24,500 EUR (if I remember correctly that was including taxes), and that's with the front splitter and the type-r mats. The process is a bit more complicated, since it needs to be registered in Belgium, but I'd say that it is worth a try.

·
Registered
66 Posts
try to make a test drive by Dieter Auto in Mechelen, there I bought mine, I didn't had a test drive because I have the first R that arrived on Belgium ground :D

·
My sticker's crooked
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Nope not many dealers have test rides. The only somewhat larger dealers (Antwerps, Zaventem and Diest) have got a showroom model, however. You might try a get a testride there.

I can't with good faith recommend Diest. They gave me horrible service.
Yeah I saw one at the Antwerp center a while ago. My dealer in Lier also has one in his showroom. Just sitting there separated from the other cars with 0 km on it.

(Nope, you can't drive it)
And I wouldn't want to if you'd let me. I absolutely hate driving other peoples' cars. :???: It's acceptable if the owner's someone I know really well or if it's just a dealer but other than that?

I see the path I must take now. I see it very clearly. :eek: Put on disguise. Disable dealer sales person with blunt object. Take keys. Drive car through showroom window. Test drive.

Or maybe ask the dealer where the key is before knocking him out. This is getting complicated already.

You think dealers in Luxembourg or the Netherlands would let a foreigner take one for a test drive? I wouldn't if I were them. Especially not in the Netherlands as I seem to recall the Type R costing a lot more over there and the dealer should be aware of this difference and know I wouldn't buy one from him anyway.

·
geekess
3,638 Posts
Yeah I saw one at the Antwerp center a while ago. My dealer in Lier also has one in his showroom. Just sitting there separated from the other cars with 0 km on it.
What a waste of a fantastic car. It was made to be driven and enjoyed not just looked at :(

I see the path I must take now. I see it very clearly. :eek: Put on disguise. Disable dealer sales person with blunt object. Take keys. Drive car through showroom window. Test drive.

Or maybe ask the dealer where the key is before knocking him out. This is getting complicated already.
When i took a CTR for a test drive the sales guy drove it first then stopped in a quiet layby to hand over to me. I turned to look at him and said "Right this is where i tie you up, grab the keys and then chuck you out of the car". He looked a little bit worried for a second or two :)

·
My sticker's crooked
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Who said they can't? They just won't.
Maybe they're aiming for teenage customers? You know, tell them they can't test drive it, make it seem 'forbidden'. Then they'll just want it even more and buy it anyway. :confused:
But since I've never seen one on the road here I'm guessing this particular business strategy isn't working.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I like it you don't see it on the roads :D, so you feel little bit special if you drive it. If you wan't a test drive am in Belgium the 25 Saturday, but my car has already hondata,other brakes, so not really standard, send me mail at [email protected]

1 - 20 of 29 Posts