2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had to get my 2009 Type S towed home the other day because of what I saw in the attached pic.
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

The gentleman who towed me said he didn't see that the axle was bent and suspected the Rear Beam Bush was the problem.

I managed to get a garage to look at it today and they told me the axle is bent and that the bushes (I don't really know what this is) and axle are all connected so I'd be looking at about £1800 to replace the whole thing.

Does that seem right? I've done 141k miles in this car so I suppose it was always late into its life. Some confirmation or words would be appreciated.

edit: Just to say, I wasn't in an accident or anything like that. Just noticed it in the supermarket carpark!

Cheers

·
Registered
569 Posts
Had to get my 2009 Type S towed home the other day because of what I saw in the attached pic.
View attachment 321439

The gentleman who towed me said he didn't see that the axle was bent and suspected the Rear Beam Bush was the problem.

I managed to get a garage to look at it today and they told me the axle is bent and that the bushes (I don't really know what this is) and axle are all connected so I'd be looking at about £1800 to replace the whole thing.

Does that seem right? I've done 141k miles in this car so I suppose it was always late into its life. Some confirmation or words would be appreciated.

edit: Just to say, I wasn't in an accident or anything like that. Just noticed it in the supermarket carpark!

Cheers
Seeing this more and more - you can buy a used axle and recondition it yourself, or buy an after market axle - both options would only cost you 2-300 quid. If you are handy yourself and have an assistant you can replace it fairly easily, I did this with @Das recently and it was fairly straightforward. The only issue you ought face is corroded brake unions so these would also need to be addressed… £1800 seems steep, more like Honda prices!

·
Registered
569 Posts
Seeing this more and more - you can buy a used axle and recondition it yourself, or buy an after market axle - both options would only cost you 2-300 quid. If you are handy yourself and have an assistant you can replace it fairly easily, I did this with @Das recently and it was fairly straightforward. The only issue you ought face is corroded brake unions so these would also need to be addressed… £1800 seems steep, more like Honda prices!
To add if you get the axle yourself and get a garage to fit you’d only be paying for 4-5 hours labour as a guess, so about 300 quid

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
To add if you get the axle yourself and get a garage to fit you’d only be paying for 4-5 hours labour as a guess, so about 300 quid
Thank you for the reply. My friend felt similarly - I just had a look and yeah, aftermarket axles seem to be around £150-300. I got a quote from another garage and they said an authentic Honda rear axle is £1200 so maybe that would explain the inflated replacement cost. I'll do a bit more snooping around and see what I can find out.

I'll also see if I can get more of an understanding of where that £1800 quote came from.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
The £1800 quote is because the garage "needs to make a living" and it's a job they probably don't want to do. Thus the price is making it worth their while.

If that happened to my car I'd possibly be looking at moving on, whilst I believe I could drop the axle and do it myself, it's whether I have the time and effort to. Then again the rear suspension isn't actually held on by much, it's just replacing the hubs.

But yes brake pipes are a f**king @**ehole, I've spent over a month trying to manufacture new brake pipes and fitting unions for my other car. I'm quite good at it now actually. Issue is that brake hoses should be changed at some point but after a certain time on the car they will weld themselves to the brake pipes which makes removing them dangerous as it'll likely sheer said pipe of...

·
Registered
569 Posts
Thank you for the reply. My friend felt similarly - I just had a look and yeah, aftermarket axles seem to be around £150-300. I got a quote from another garage and they said an authentic Honda rear axle is £1200 so maybe that would explain the inflated replacement cost. I'll do a bit more snooping around and see what I can find out.

I'll also see if I can get more of an understanding of where that £1800 quote came from.
It might be 1200 +VAT which would take you nearer to the 1800

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
£1800 cash too, garage wanting a bumper pay day.

Sorry to be so cynical, clearly a massive price hike...

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi all, just got back from the garage. They were actually very friendly about it (although I did pay £42 for the inspection so I guess they had to be). I now have two quotes for a genuine honda axle and they're £1200 + VAT (£1440!); apparently they're back-ordered anyway so I wouldn't be able to get one anytime soon even if I wanted one. Actually the labour seems pretty reasonable (just shy of £300 inc. VAT) so that's congruent with what @bayzoo said.

The main thing was they didn't seem to believe that I could get an aftermarket axle for as cheap as £200-300. For example, I can see an axle here: https://www.eurosubframes.com/products/new-honda-civic-fn2-mk8-back-axle-05-11-42100-smg-e05

for ~£175.

They said they'd be happy to install a different axle if I found one but they're not too open to buying in one themselves. They said I'd be a bit in trouble if I bought the wrong one too.

I'm really not hands-on enough to do a job like this myself so I feel it's either this way, or I get the car scrapped. I also need to worry about leaving my car in their carpark at the moment. I live about 2-3 mins down the road...

What would you guys recommend? Again, thank you so much for the responses!

·
Premium Member
545 Posts
If you can get a beam (new or good used) for sensible money I'd be replacing it (or getting a garage to) assuming the rest of the car is good with no indication of imminent money pitism

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Depends how much you like the car and what budget you have for a replacement, plus yeah as previously mentioned is the rest of the car in good condition?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I haven't really had any issues with the car over the last 3-4 years. I'd say the rest of the car is in fairly good condition; I service it yearly with its MOT, etc. I think it's just old (and has done a lot of miles since I've had it).

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Have a look to see what you could replace it with maybe, although it just being the rear beam means there likely won't be further complications from there. If you sold the car on in it's current form I'd imagine someone would possibly buy it to fix themselves then use or even try and sell it on after repair for a profit.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah, in the back of my mind I'm thinking "what else is on the cusp of rusting/breaking?". The car has served me very well at least.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
When was your clutch last done? And how does the engine sound?

I don't think the Civic rusts very much, I plan to check the insides of the wheel arches next year but the underside is fine overall even after almost 14 years on the road.

·
Registered
569 Posts
300 quid labour seems reasonable but 1440 quid for the beam is crazy - Honda should be offering this as a discounted part considering the issues people are having with them. I get our cars are getting older but there’s clearly a weak spot on these.

Where are you based? I have a spare axle beam but I’m up in Scotland.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
When was your clutch last done? And how does the engine sound?

I don't think the Civic rusts very much, I plan to check the insides of the wheel arches next year but the underside is fine overall even after almost 14 years on the road.
Funnily enough, my clutch was the first major thing which happened with this car when I bought it in 2015; it probably happened at around 80k. Was getting proper clutch slip so got that and the DMF replaced for around £1000 iirc.

300 quid labour seems reasonable but 1440 quid for the beam is crazy - Honda should be offering this as a discounted part considering the issues people are having with them. I get our cars are getting older but there’s clearly a weak spot on these.

Where are you based? I have a spare axle beam but I’m up in Scotland.
I'm in SW of England so about as far away as possible. I'm not really sure who Eurosubparts are but they're offering 5 years warranty here so for £175, it seems pretty good. Thank you for the offer anyways :)

·
Registered
569 Posts
Funnily enough, my clutch was the first major thing which happened with this car when I bought it in 2015; it probably happened at around 80k. Was getting proper clutch slip so got that and the DMF replaced for around £1000 iirc.

I'm in SW of England so about as far away as possible. I'm not really sure who Eurosubparts are but they're offering 5 years warranty here so for £175, it seems pretty good. Thank you for the offer anyways :)
No problem - yes that sounds like a good deal, and it’ll come with bushes (big rubber round parts) so should just be a direct fit once they get the old one off

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Surely a rear axle is just that?!

It's the shocks and springs that make it different. Unless it's the FN2 I believe they're all the same. Even for the FN2 it wouldn't make sense to have a unique rear axle as it would increase production costs. The more of 1 thing Honda can make, the cheaper they can make their cars no?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Surely a rear axle is just that?!

It's the shocks and springs that make it different. Unless it's the FN2 I believe they're all the same. Even for the FN2 it wouldn't make sense to have a unique rear axle as it would increase production costs. The more of 1 thing Honda can make, the cheaper they can make their cars no?
Oh I completely agree, I just want a sanity check because they specifically distinguish this as excluding the Type R. :)

1 - 20 of 52 Posts