2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
It doesn't make sense for it to differ that much as it would have raised Honda's production costs too much.

Although some cooking models of regular cars do have slightly upgraded suspension and even tweaked steering racks. With parts suppliers often not considering this.

I don't deny that different mk8s probably do handle substantially differently to each other however I'd say that's in tyre, shocks and springs mostly.

Be good if someone can say for sure via different part numbers and how they actually differ.

If I get time later I might run different cars through the Honda parts website (Lings) and see what comes up.

·
Super Moderator
4,137 Posts
Why not cut out the speculation and ring up a Honda dealer!
I know they will have a phone to talk to you on.

·
Premium Member
1,745 Posts
Yes your'e information/parts lists shows the axles the same part numbers. The stub axle part numbers are different for the 2 car variants. It would seem therefore the track width differences are achieved by them?!

Reactions: popebenedict

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
I'm off work and lying around sick so I did some parts comparing...

Parallel Font Automotive exterior Auto part Slope

Font Parallel Auto part Diagram Automotive exterior

Font Parallel Automotive exterior Auto part Automotive window part

My car and a Type S appear to have exactly the same rear beam.

Whereas the FN2 does indeed have a different one.

Couldn't be bothered to dig out the diesels but I'm fairly confident in saying rear beams for all but the FN2 are the same...

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Well, got the car back. Unfortunately the ABS sensors needed to be replaced too which cost another £110 but at least the axle fit fine. So what initially would've cost me £1800 cost me just under £600.

Second most expensive job I've had on this car outside of the clutch / DMF getting replaced but there you go. It's probably about time to start looking at my next car now.

Once again, thank you for all the advice and suggestions in this thread from everyone!

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Glad it's fixed!

ABS sensors were probably welded to the hubs so needed replacing. Any idea what brand they replaced them with? Prob not decent ones if they were £110 for both although OEM ones are a crazy price.

·
Registered
569 Posts
That’s good news - ABS sensors are about £15 each on eBay, but you weren’t to know that before hand and that’s probably what a garage would normally charge. Honda ones are far too expensive.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
I paid £110 for a new OEM sensor as a dealer was eBay selling some old stock. That's still twice the price of a decent 3rd party replacement!

Honda sensors are crazily priced! Take a look at Cox's Electrical Archives

·
Super Moderator
4,137 Posts
Glad it's fixed!

ABS sensors were probably welded to the hubs so needed replacing. Any idea what brand they replaced them with? Prob not decent ones if they were £110 for both although OEM ones are a crazy price.
possibly Pagid if they use ECP

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Funnily enough, I've just had to take the car back to the garage because something doesn't seem right with the suspension now.

When driving over even minor pot-holes, the rear of the car makes a loud / significant kerchunk as if the suspension is bottoming out. I have no idea what the origin of this issue could be so we'll see what the garage thinks.

I'm hoping it's just due to the suspension being too tight or something like that...

·
Registered
569 Posts
New shocks will ride like [email protected] for maybe a few hundred miles if you've changed them.

They smooth out after then.
Mine were fine at the rear once changed, something definitely seems off. It’ll be interesting to see what the garage say.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts