2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need recommendation for best code reader (don`t mind spending £100 or so)
and/or clone HDS system for 8th gen!
Really needs to be able to read/diagnose ABS/VSA

·
Ex-Pat Geordie!
2,478 Posts
Have a look about the site, seen quite a few regarding readers...

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have a look about the site, seen quite a few regarding readers...
Yes, i have BUT there are so many different one`s mentioned(majority seem to be basic stuff only). Hence need of confirmation of tried and tested "better than basic" stuff.

·
Super Moderator
2,726 Posts
i have foxwell nt 630
can be used on many different makes of cars
but buy from a decent firm that will acept returns if it dosnt work theres a lot of fakes out there
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Diagnostic...&qid=1516642927&sr=8-1&keywords=foxwell+nt630
think i paid £84 for mine but it was on a 24 hour sale at the time
if you go to foxwell website and look them up they will reply to any questions fairly quick
unlike some other companys

·
Bye bye Honda...
5,920 Posts
An HDS clone will read ALL Honda fault codes and so much more. It can also run target-settng diagnostics, recode new diesel injectors to the ECU and reprogrammed new keys to the ECU.

On the downside, it'll only work with a Honda...

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
An HDS clone will read all fault codes and so much more. It can also run target-settng diagnostics, recode new diesel injectors to the ECU and reprogrammed new keys to the ECU.

I accept that, i am quite happy for it to be "honda" specific.

I have one for "ford" (for my transit) -vcm11 with "ids" which cost about £140 (plus £80 for a stand alone laptop for the software). Seems expensive but when you see what ford want just to "plug in", it`s cheap and has already paid for it`s self. That one came from OBD tools?about 3 years ago

·
Super Moderator
2,726 Posts
I accept that, i am quite happy for it to be "honda" specific.

I have one for "ford" (for my transit) -vcm11 with "ids" which cost about £140 (plus £80 for a stand alone laptop for the software). Seems expensive but when you see what ford want just to "plug in", it`s cheap and has already paid for it`s self. That one came from OBD tools?about 3 years ago
theres a laptop type thing you can buy that a few of my local garages use
think its a copy of snapon or similar it reads almost anything and its about £300 to £400
if its the type of thing you might be interested in might be worth trying to find 1

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
I bought a Foxwell NT 630. My ABS/VSA light was on and it told me it was an open circuit on passenger rear wheel. Changed the sensor and the fault was still there. Turns out a wire had broken under the rear seat? so had to go to the garage after all. Did save on scan costs tho as i was able to log and show the fault. The Foxwell is comprehensive and a good bit of kit. As we have 3 Civics and 2 CR-V's in our immediate family the reader will pay itself off over time and save a few quid.

·
4,773 Posts
An HDS clone will read ALL Honda fault codes and so much more. It can also run target-settng diagnostics, recode new diesel injectors to the ECU and reprogrammed new keys to the ECU.

Link please? Or more detail? Thanks

·
Premium Member
2007 FK2 1.8
198 Posts
I bought a Foxwell NT 630. My ABS/VSA light was on and it told me it was an open circuit on passenger rear wheel. Changed the sensor and the fault was still there. Turns out a wire had broken under the rear seat? so had to go to the garage after all. Did save on scan costs tho as i was able to log and show the fault. The Foxwell is comprehensive and a good bit of kit. As we have 3 Civics and 2 CR-V's in our immediate family the reader will pay itself off over time and save a few quid.
I just got a Foxwell 630Plus delivered and I've just noticed all over the box and manuals it calls itself an 'ABS and Airbag reset tool'. Does this mean it lacks some more basic functionality of an OBD2 scanner and it's only really for ABS, Airbags, SAS?

I was trying to buy a scanner which included the ABS stuff but not sure it's appropriate for me to pay over a hundred quid for one which is specially/only for ABS issues if I'll need other scanners for more generic diagnoses

It's probably just the marketers highlighting that it includes this ABS functionality which lots of cheaper readers don't. Just want to check it's not a mistake before I start installing the Honda software etc

·
Premium Member
2007 FK2 1.8
198 Posts
It seems strange that the NT630 Plus is more expensive than both the NT650 Elite and the NT530 given this table. It seems to suggest the NT630 does lots of advanced ABS stuff the other two scanners don't, but if the others reset ABS/VSA codes and turn warning lights off then they're probably adequate. I'm just a weekend warrior and probably only going to see the ABS/VSA warning lights once a year 😕
Rectangle Font Material property Parallel Screenshot

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
I'm after something that isn't Foxwell or at least maybe a 2nd hand unit.

As Foxwell's distributor is in Germany and they left my order there for 2 months whilst ignoring my emails, eventually had to get a Paypal refund.

Guess it's a bit like those who've been burned off Autodoc...

·
Premium Member
2007 FK2 1.8
198 Posts
Yeah my autodoc experience was flawless but obviously others have had different.

This foxwell NT630 Plus was ebay and got here fine, 2 days ahead of schedule in fact. I just don't know if I've chosen the right one cos all I'm after is a comprehensive obd2 scanner with abs supported. Not sure if it's wise to hang onto this one or get a more rounded reader as I don't want it to come up short when my car throws a warning light which isn't abs in future...

·
Super Moderator
2,726 Posts
i have a nt630 pro only time it let me down was on a lexus but it still read some of the codes it does have obd section so cant see why you wont be happy
does a lot more than just abs

·
Super Moderator
3,992 Posts
Yeah my autodoc experience was flawless but obviously others have had different.

This foxwell NT630 Plus was ebay and got here fine, 2 days ahead of schedule in fact. I just don't know if I've chosen the right one cos all I'm after is a comprehensive obd2 scanner with abs supported. Not sure if it's wise to hang onto this one or get a more rounded reader as I don't want it to come up short when my car throws a warning light which isn't abs in future...
if you actually read the advert I posted you will see that it does OBD2 so reads the engine codes!
they are making a big deal out of the ABS etc because many readers don't do them - my little basic Foxwell doesn't.

·
Premium Member
2007 FK2 1.8
198 Posts
if you actually read the advert I posted you will see that it does OBD2 so reads the engine codes!
they are making a big deal out of the ABS etc because many readers don't do them - my little basic Foxwell doesn't.
Thanks mate I did read the link but some of Foxwell's documentation asks as many questions as it answers - there's a row labeled 'Works on all electronic systems' and NT510 just has a tick (....is ABS included then?) but the NT630 Plus has no tick but the words 'ABS, Airbag' (...is that a complete list?)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts