2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I need to top up my coolant, wondering what to buy. Obviously genuine honda would be the most suitable but is there anything else I could go for?

I saw motuls on ebay, has anyone used this? I asked the seller he said it'd be fine as its for allu cylinders....

Is it recommended to mix or do a complete flush and change ??

·
Premium Member
585 Posts
Basic rule of thumb is to not mix different coloured antifreeze, but you can usually top-up with the same coloured fluid. When was the fluid last changed?

Postage is typically quite expensive on fluids, so I'd stick to buying from a local motor factor.

·
Muscles From Brussels
4,073 Posts
What I heard was to only use genuine Honda coolant as it offers protection for the aluminium ? If someone could clarify? Go to service department on Honda and ask them to top up and take a little bottle shake his hand with a 5er in it and bobs your uncle. Had mine topped last week even did my screen wash!

·
Premium Member
585 Posts
There's nothing magical about Honda's coolant. OEMs don't manufacture their own coolant like they don't their own oil. They specify then buy the oil from a supplier, like us customers can do directly ourselves.

·
Premium Member
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Doesn't say anything about coolant in the s/h. I don't think my local dealer would give me a bottle for a fiver!! They want every penny off you. I do have a GSF not very far from me though.

·
Muscles From Brussels
4,073 Posts
When I phone Hondas main dealers for parts they told me it only comes in 5 litres bottles I know cox does 1 litre of it!

Call up service department say you are driving past later and are slightly low any chance of a top up? Worth a shot only cost me a 5 because I wanted extra to take away and I gave it as a thank you

·
Premium Member
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
When I phone Hondas main dealers for parts they told me it only comes in 5 litres bottles I know cox does 1 litre of it!

Call up service department say you are driving past later and are slightly low any chance of a top up? Worth a shot only cost me a 5 because I wanted extra to take away and I gave it as a thank you
Ok yeah i'll give them a call, they gave me a price for 5 litres recently, think it was £24 inc vat...

·
Registered
353 Posts
There was a similar thread sometime ago, the person concerned was told Elf Classic Coolant was a suitable alternative. However I am unable to find a local supplier.

Three Honda Dealers have told me to top up with water if only a small quantity is needed.

·
Premium Member
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
There was a similar thread sometime ago, the person concerned was told Elf Classic Coolant was a suitable alternative. However I am unable to find a local supplier.

Three Honda Dealers have told me to top up with water if only a small quantity is needed.
Hmm mines just gone below the min mark, so I wouldn't want to use water tbh.

·
Premium Member
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Popped into my local dealers yesterday and got hold of 5 litres for £15, result as they gave me a discount.

Normally costs £18.50 as they don't stock the 1 ltr bottles, I said I only need a top up.

Better value too as the 1 ltr costs £8 something.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I bought mine from cox motors on here, cost £19 from them inc. delivery for the 5L of Hondas coolant.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.