2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.
I have a 2008 2.2 Diesel with 170k+ miles on it.

Its served me well but the clutch and flywheel has completely gone so that car is at a standstill.
Its not a viable repair and will cost me close to £1000 to get back on the road.

I have tried selling it for spare or repairs and keep getting ridiculous offers.

I'm now thinking of taking of some expensive parts and getting rid of the car as im sure I will make more.

I know the wing mirrors are worth a fair bit so I have already removed them.

Can anyone recommend parts that a relatively simple to remove and worth a bit of coin- any suggestions will be welcomed.

Thanks

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have never done this before but I figure that the bumpers and the hatch are probably on the high end of cost - not sure how to take them off but usually people who are interested in that kind of repair will have qualified people come and take it off without needing you to do anything. just keep the car in a safe place and post in the ads. keep all your ownership papers.

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have never done this before but I figure that the bumpers and the hatch are probably on the high end of cost - not sure how to take them off but usually people who are interested in that kind of repair will have qualified people come and take it off without needing you to do anything. just keep the car in a safe place and post in the ads. keep all your ownership papers.
Thanks.
I need to get it off the road hence wanting to do quick strip of main parts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Engine and gearbox might be worth something to somebody, but I assumed from your post that you just wanted a few easy wins to strip off before the scrap men pick it up.

You could strip the lot if you've got space and time but sometimes it's just not worth the hassle.

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Front arch trims sell quickly. Maybe worth sticking a breaking ad up on some of the mk8 civic pages, ads seem to get a few quick replies. How much are you looking for the mirrors?
Standard black ones?
Thanks- I will do; its been a while since i've been on the forum.... reliable motoring!

PM me an offer- I'm quite surprised what they sell for on Ebay!

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Engine and gearbox might be worth something to somebody, but I assumed from your post that you just wanted a few easy wins to strip off before the scrap men pick it up.

You could strip the lot if you've got space and time but sometimes it's just not worth the hassle.
Yes- just a quick few pieces that I can take out in a days worth of work. I dont have the time, knowledge equipment for the big boy parts.

·
Super Moderator
2,936 Posts
I was in similar position with mine
too good to scrap but not worth a great deal
sold it 3 times twice on ebay with no one even trying to view/collect
took a deposit from a local who never turned up again
so it was 4 times really
in the end I was going to strip it
moved it to a mates yard then a friend bought it and its back on road 185000 miles stood for over 6 months and back on road less than a week after selling it with only little work cleaning brakes up and fitting bottom arm that I had bought before deciding to get new car
the ones who didn't collect after bidding on ebay missed out on a great motor
not the cleanest or tidiest but it ran like a dream and never used a drop off oil
still original clutch aswell yes it slipped now and then but treat it with respect and week or two later it sorted itself out
the car served me well I done around 150000 miles in that car over 9 years

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was in similar position with mine
too good to scrap but not worth a great deal
sold it 3 times twice on ebay with no one even trying to view/collect
took a deposit from a local who never turned up again
so it was 4 times really
in the end I was going to strip it
moved it to a mates yard then a friend bought it and its back on road 185000 miles stood for over 6 months and back on road less than a week after selling it with only little work cleaning brakes up and fitting bottom arm that I had bought before deciding to get new car
the ones who didn't collect after bidding on ebay missed out on a great motor
not the cleanest or tidiest but it ran like a dream and never used a drop off oil
still original clutch aswell yes it slipped now and then but treat it with respect and week or two later it sorted itself out
the car served me well I done around 150000 miles in that car over 9 years
Unfortunately thing with this is the cost of the clutch and flywheel mean its just not worth the repair.
Shame as its been a brillant car.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi.
I have a 2008 2.2 Diesel with 170k+ miles on it.

Its served me well but the clutch and flywheel has completely gone so that car is at a standstill.
Its not a viable repair and will cost me close to £1000 to get back on the road.

I have tried selling it for spare or repairs and keep getting ridiculous offers.

I'm now thinking of taking of some expensive parts and getting rid of the car as im sure I will make more.

I know the wing mirrors are worth a fair bit so I have already removed them.

Can anyone recommend parts that a relatively simple to remove and worth a bit of coin- any suggestions will be welcomed.

Thanks
Are you still stripping parts for the car?

·
more torque than the mrs
6,793 Posts
Hi.

Thanks
if you have a good socket set then most parts are easy to remove , headlights ,wings ,doors ,bumpers, suspension, interior , it all depends on how much you'd be happy with to how much you strip off the car, I'd get the car on ebay for parts only with ad saying buyer to remove parts themselves, if you're not confident with removing some parts then this might be an option..

·
Registered
610 Posts
Thanks.

Im assuming theres no point removing the engine and gearbox as these are usally bulletproof?
Engine and gearbox with 180K miles will be hard to sell. And most scrap yard's have two or three on the shelves.

And the engines are bulletproof if well maintained and serviced regularly on time. But they have a limit, usually around 250K if I was putting a new engine in mine, I'd want a 100-120K mile engine. Not worth the work to install another problematic one.

The engines on the Civic's drop out the bottom as well, so you'd need to get the car collected by a lorry with a hoist, and they don't take shells for free. Any car without an engine is £20 collection for me.

Take your catalytic converter off, it's around five bolts under the front of the car, ensure it's supported correctly.

The 8th Gen 2.2 Civic doesn't have a DPF, however it has a Pre-cat which is worth money but right at the top of the engine and very difficult (if it is possible) to get out without dropping the subframe.

As for interior the only interiors worth removing are the Type S and any leather spec one. The rest aren't worth wasting your time removing.

Headlights, rearlights maybe even some body panels. But a waste of time removing stuff to potentially sit for months on end. My local scrapyard leaves cars in the yard for months before they even manage to sell a couple of body parts. They mainly sell the engines, wheels, tyres & catalytic converters.

My local breaker got fed up of old vehicles sitting in the lot for months without selling much, so if someone brings a 10+ year old vehicle in, they remove the wheels, catalytic converter, battery & lights then straight weigh it in for metal. They don't even bother removing the engines.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.