2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Its a cake, not a biscuit
2,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Afternoon,

More that likely I'll just drop the seats and remove the front wheel and chuck it in the back...but, I also have one of these knocking around the house, we'll at my old house awaiting collection, so thought I'd ask here first regarding fitting before I trapps the 30miles to collect.

Can the TypeR/Civic have a bike holder like this fitted to the back?

Or is it a no go/not safe? I fear the spoiler poking out will stop it working.

Its a similar style to this one:

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
No I don't think something like that would fit the R because of the larger spoiler. We don't even have the roof rack securing points so options are really limited for bike carrying, short of having a tow bar fitted and fitting a carrier on that.

I'm currently making a rack to go in the boot to hold 2 mountain bikes minus front wheels... they'll be safer there both against theft and falling off... and less likely to damage paintwork bouncing around on the back

·
Its a cake, not a biscuit
2,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers for the reply! I'm back at my old house mid march so might just attempt to fit it and see how secure it feels. Looks like it'll result in me just chucking it in the back (minus the front wheel) as I don't fancy spending too much on a rear tow carrier tbh :(

Didn't think i'd ever say this to a bloke...but you got any photo's of your 'rack'? :D

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Not yet, i've not made it yet just measured up.

Basically it's going to be a wooden base, fairly substantial, with 2 pairs of heavy duty right angle brackets bolted on with a threaded bar running between each pair. The front forks will slot into the threaded bar (with wheel removed) and i'll use a couple of wing nuts to tighten. This should hold the bikes upright and secure protecting both bikes and car. Reckon I can make this for about £25 with bits from B&Q and screwfix etc... will post some pics when done (just waiting to have time/good weather!)

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
When I hit Dalby Forest, I just throw a sheet down and put it in the back. I often put the magic seats up and put it in cross-ways.

I suppose it is a choice between risk of scratching your interior and scratching your exterior rear hatch with one of those carriers. The towbar ones are the best, but work out expensive with the towbar cost.

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
kind of... they fold up but do not lock in. You can use the rear seatbelts to hold the bases up though.

Limited use due to it being 3 door so access is more difficult for large items

·
Registered
698 Posts
Good luck with putting your bike into back of the car :facepalm:.

Have you considered OEM roof bars ? There are some dedicated by Honda

·
Registered
32 Posts
No I don't think something like that would fit the R because of the larger spoiler. We don't even have the roof rack securing points so options are really limited for bike carrying, short of having a tow bar fitted and fitting a carrier on that.

I'm currently making a rack to go in the boot to hold 2 mountain bikes minus front wheels... they'll be safer there both against theft and falling off... and less likely to damage paintwork bouncing around on the back
Can you really not fit a roof rack to a type-r?
There is one in my works car park that has 4 discs on the roof which I always assumed were secured to the roof using standard roof rack points, this appears to be where the guy attaches the actual roof rack.

Is this custom?

·
Premium Member
165 Posts

I can get one MTB with front wheel off in the back easily. I seriously doubt two will fit unless theres lots of stripping down involved.

·
Premium Member
749 Posts
The seat literally lifts up, then you move the bar down to lock it in the raised position. You don't need to unlock anything to lift them.

·
...............Daedalus
3,687 Posts
The seat literally lifts up, then you move the bar down to lock it in the raised position. You don't need to unlock anything to lift them.
This is true on the 5 doors. Type S and R however you need to uncatch the leg and hold them up with the seatbelts.

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 34 Posts