2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Was climbing up a hill on the motorway not caning it or anything and had a mazzive pop like a tyre blowing then black smoke out the exhaust and loss of Power and check engine light came on!

Climbed under today and took the engine tray off too look for loose boost pipe and noticed the intercoller was split at the bottom...... Also covered in oil is this the turbo blow? Any help much appreciated.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
Exactly the same happened to my (remapped) 2.2 while putting my foot down to get up a long hill. Replaced the intercooler with a new one I found on eBay and it was good as new again. They can be pricey though, might be worth tracking one down from a breakers and seeing if it all still runs okay. Can keep that if it does or look into getting a new one if you prefer and have the car running until you do.

For me the oil was down the side of the intercooler and had sprayed onto the vent in the plastic wheel arch trim. But while it looked like a lot was actually just a light misting.

·
Registered
Civic type R Championship white
428 Posts
Normal for a bit of oil because of the dirty breather systems on a diesel so long as it’s not swimming in it.
Take a pipe off the turbo and wiggle the core.

🎶In and out is ok, side to side and on its way! 🎶 the golden rhyme.

coolers goosed either way, time for an upgrade!

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I've clean the cooler up and fixed it back together with some gentle persuasion and put some aluminium insulation tape to block and air gaps for a test run around the block and the turbo is back in business. I will check the turbo as you have suggested Matty_Daz666!

Do you know of any aftermarket intercoolers that fit in the original location? Don't mind spending a little more as second hand ones covered in oil are coming up a about £60 plus anyways.......

Thanks for the info Shogran I just could not understand why it pooped open like that must be a flaw in the way they are fixed together with all the crimp type fittings around the seam.

·
Registered
Civic type R Championship white
428 Posts
Well I've clean the cooler up and fixed it back together with some gentle persuasion and put some aluminium insulation tape to block and air gaps for a test run around the block and the turbo is back in business. I will check the turbo as you have suggested Matty_Daz666!

Do you know of any aftermarket intercoolers that fit in the original location? Don't mind spending a little more as second hand ones covered in oil are coming up a about £60 plus anyways.......

Thanks for the info Shogran I just could not understand why it pooped open like that must be a flaw in the way they are fixed together with all the crimp type fittings around the seam.
I believe majority of the upgrades will front mount convert it, rather than keep the current location due to space constraints

·
Premium Member
5,343 Posts
Bearing in mind the amount of time and miles that the original one has been on the car and been reliable, fit another original one and forget about it. It will last the life of the car

Reactions: MrHicks
1 - 8 of 8 Posts