2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone not sure if this is the right place to put this so apologies if not.

I've just bought a 58 plate Honda civic type s today with 40,000 miles on the clock. First honda and for an hour was loving it. Then after slowing down at a junction as I went to speed up again the car started breaking by itself and the steering became difficult to control. Then the vas light in the triangle came on and vas came up on the dash. After restarting the car both went off until I turned again then the lights came back on but no braking. We phoned the dealer who's told us to bring it in tomorrow but he said it would be safe to drive for now. We didn't fancy driving it much more so headed home and it was fine for a while until again when we were just travelling about 30mph on a straight road the brakes came on again until I stopped almost causing a car to come into the back of us and both lights came on again. We managed to get home after that with no more breaking but obviously were worried about what the problem could be? We had a number for a previous owner on a receipt so phoned her and she said she'd been to 3 garages with the problem including a Honda garage and non of them could fix the problem. When she sold the car they knew so took some money off the car and said they would sort the problem. We dont know what to do know as we love the car but don't want to take on a massive problem?
Sorry for the long first post but any suggestions would be much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2,274 Posts
Hate to say it, and there are some highly experienced members who may be able to shed some light, but personally I'd agree with the above.

Is there any one thing or group of things which seem to aggravate the indication?
Revving above certain engine speed?
Changing into 'x' gear.
Accelerating hard above 3k?
Braking suddenly?

The guys at Honda should be able to run a proper diagnostic on it, get an error code or 3 and get some ideas - might even be an easy fix but doesn't sound it by your conversation.
Al.

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
They knowingly sold a defective vehicle and if it went to court and with the previous owner and statements from garages that looked at it they could lose out big style. If they don't take it back for a full refund hit them with that.

·
Premium Member
2,764 Posts
I'd try and get my money back, mate. It's not exactly a rare car, and plenty of others to chose from that are running perfectly. Last thing you want with a new car is to dealing with a load of problems with it!

And if you got it for a good price for the year/mileage, now you know why!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the reply's so far. Didn't seem to be any trigger for it happening no. We really do like the car so will be gutted if nothing can be done. The dealer did say on the phone to bring it in tomorrow and they will get it sorted for us (it came with 3 months warranty. Not a Honda dealer btw) so should we see what they do first? We payed 6k for it

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
I'd take it back and get your money back, plenty of others out there.

·
Ex-Pat Geordie!
2,396 Posts
Thanks for the reply's so far. Didn't seem to be any trigger for it happening no. We really do like the car so will be gutted if nothing can be done. The dealer did say on the phone to bring it in tomorrow and they will get it sorted for us (it came with 3 months warranty. Not a Honda dealer btw) so should we see what they do first? We payed 6k for it
I'd tell them that they have sold you an item of none merchantable quality and that if they don't give a full refund you will take them to court...... Sounds like you've been sold a Pup mate.

·
Supporter
3,159 Posts
:( so nobody thinks we should let them fix it?
Given the previous owner stated she had 3 garages (including a Honda garage!!) look at it with no success and if it was an easy fix I am sure the garage that sold it to you would have sorted it, not worth the bother, as said take it back armed with the evidence that they knew about the faults and that you are rejecting

·
Premium Member
1,777 Posts
You've only just bought the car, so have the luxury of being able to decide what to do. If you had been using the car for a few months already then things may be a little different.

If it were an easy fix then I am sure a previous garage would have resolved it already.

Realistically, do you want the hassle of trying to get it fixed? You have no idea how long it may take, and whether it will truly be resolved. From what you've said, this garage has already said they would fix it once, and that hasn't happened.

What happens if you take it to the garage, they do some sort of "fix" then five months later it all starts happening again? There is of course nothing to say that it wouldn't happen to another car, however given the circumstances I would prefer my chances buying a different one. Civics are generally very reliable.

In my opinion it's a lot easier to just get a refund for this one and purchase another, hopefully perfect one, elsewhere.

·
Premium Member
825 Posts
Sounds like an ABS problem to me.
Definitely take it back, it is not for purpose. I will be surprised if you get a refund straight up - I'm pretty sure they do not have to give you a refund until they have attempted a repairk but the onus is on them to sort it.

Hope it gets sorted either way

·
Premium Member
825 Posts
Action to take
If you have bought a vehicle from a trader, which turns out to be faulty or you think has been misdescribed, you need to take action straight away.

If you have only had the vehicle for a very short time, have only driven a few miles and you discover a major problem, you are probably entitled to reject it and get your money back plus the return of a 'traded in' vehicle if there was one, or its value if it has been disposed of.

If you decide to reject the vehicle, stop using it and contact the trader. Make it clear that you wish to reject it. You can accept a repair for a major fault but this won't stop you claiming a refund if the repair turns out to be unsatisfactory. It is best to make your position clear before any repair is attempted.

The law only allows you a short time to reject the vehicle before you have 'accepted' it. This means that you have had the vehicle long enough to establish it is satisfactory, or that you have told the trader that you have accepted it. Only a court can make a decision on this point and would take all relevant factors into account.

·
SHOCKD
4,351 Posts
Definitely wash your hands of it mate.. Full refund and look elsewhere.

If its been attempted to be fixed in the past especially by a Honda garage and they cant remidy the issue then I dont think it will be an easy fix.. and even if it was it sounds like it may take a while to diagnose and resolve.

Take it back - get a full refund and look elsewhere for a problem free one.. Sounds dangerous to me!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Cheers again for the advice everyone. Taking it in at 2 today to speak to them so see how that goes. Somebody in work has mentioned saying to them I want Atleast a years warranty on the issue if they can sort it or else I want a full refund. Is that a reasonable option?

·
Premium Member
2,764 Posts
It may be a nice car, but so will any other in the exact same model. Don't get emotionally attached to it just because you enjoy it. You'd enjoy one a lot Moor that was free of issues, and there are plenty around if you take the time to look. No need at all to buy a fixer-upper! Not at that price!

·
Registered
392 Posts
It is only a car, so don't hesitate in taking it back for a full refund. I wouldn't go down the road of letting them try to fix this, even once. You know that others have tried previously and failed.
You have the chance to rid yourself of trouble. Take it. Don't come back here in a couple of month's time with a long list of horror stories, only for people to say 'we told you so'.

·
more torque than the mrs
6,767 Posts
last owner tried a few times that should tell you the answer, if you do let them try and fix it i would want something in writing purely because after 3 months and the problem comes back you will be paying for the fix an expensive one..

·
Ex-Pat Geordie!
2,396 Posts
It is only a car, so don't hesitate in taking it back for a full refund. I wouldn't go down the road of letting them try to fix this, even once. You know that others have tried previously and failed.
You have the chance to rid yourself of trouble. Take it. Don't come back here in a couple of month's time with a long list of horror stories, only for people to say 'we told you so'.
A very compassionate answer ;)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts