2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

Bilstein b14 coilovers - avoid purchasing these coilovers

17K views 59 replies 24 participants last post by  ABP Motorsport 
#1 · (Edited)
Bought the b14 coilover kit and the kit is knocking at rear has been back to the manufacturer and they are not willing supply me another. They are claiming the damper has been tightened to much, which is completely not true as this was tightened using an allen key. Apparently it was tested on the dyno and come back as no fault.

If your looking for a coilover kit avoid this kit, the quality of the rear dampers are awful, I find it unbelievable that a company of this reputation will not replace the rear damper. Will never buy from bilstein again. Just though I would mention if your looking to change your dampers don't buy these.

If anyone is also having a problem with these please get in contact as this could be a common issue.

#6 ·
Surely if a shop supplied and fitted these they are your point of contact and your issue is with them. i.e. they supplied a defective product.

Even if another company supplied them someone has to take the fall for it. I would give your local citizens advice a call and see where you stand under the sales of goods act.

Everything sold has to be designed to last as is reasonably practical and a few weeks is not that

#8 ·
Not a fan of posts like this, if the OP has such a problem then at least monitor and reply to responses in a timely manner(like it was a major issue to the OP).. 18.57 the fuse lit.. 20.50 and no reply to anyone :confused:

People here try and offer advice to help!

#10 ·
Sorry fella had a major busy day work and fell asleep on the sofa.

Abp have helped all they can with regards this also even though they didn't send them back.

They have been on the dyno at bilstein and apparently no fault found. So how come over tightening a damper cause such major damage I do not know. The poor customer service is coming from bilstein and not anyone else.

#9 ·
Not sure about the torque settings I'm not sure they did. I got these fitted at 8 speed and he has bent over backwards to help me out, has messed around for hours taking them off and swapping them around. Abp have also helped but said they have had nobody else who had this problem. Really not sure what to do next with these now, going to speak with the sales manager tomorrow.

Very disappointed from which is ment to be a well established manufacture of suspension components. The other rear shock which appears to be ok has a plastic mark from the cover has rubbed on rear shock but no noise from that side.

The ride quality is good, feels much more planted than oem and drives very Well it can bottom out over the odd harsh bump but these are coilovers after all.

#22 ·
Just a quick update to this. Got a brand new damper back from Bilstein. Still the same noise, but just not as loud. Think the rears need to be modified to suit and not just the fronts. Shame really as the kit very good makes car feel much more planted.

#23 ·
Spoke to abp again yesterday and they have offered me to sell them on my behalf which is not what I'm wanting. Also will not offer a full refund which a joke. Apparently they have sold 72 kits and only had 3 faults with this kit. Thinking of taking this to my local citizens advise as there is a problem with this kit and it still makes the noise. Apparently on the older cars it doesn't make the noise.

#24 · (Edited)
Just to clarify that we didn't supply this kit to Dave as he purchased it directly from Eight Speed.

We also never fitted the kit to the car but we have been assisting him in trying to get the issue resolved.

We've now sold 47 of these kits for the Type R and the feedback is very positive indeed. I also have a kit on my car and love it, after previously using OE, KW Variant 3, Eibach pro-kit, ABP Eibach -30mm and this is the best by far.

Chris

#26 · (Edited)
Yes eight speed have bought this from you it makes no difference. The kit is Not a direct fit for the fn2. If there is no issue with the kit why have I and two other members on the forum message me about the same issue? You can't put the blame on eight speed you got the contract with Bilstein to supply this kit, I have spoken to Bilstein and they don't have a solution as this kit is not a direct fit for the fn2. It's not Bilstein or 8 speeds responsibility, it is your responsibility to offer me my money back. You have taken a contract of Bilstein to supply this kit fully knowing it does not fit therefore I'm NOT taking this up with Bilstein. All Bilstein have done is accused Stevie of over tightening the kit when it wasn't over tightened as the new the damper is making the same noise. There is NO issue with my chassis at all!!!

I am going to keep pursuing this until you offer me my money back and not going to let this be brushed under the carpet. I like everyone else on here has made lots of sacrifices to buy modifications and when you buy something at this cost for it to make rattling noise makes me very annoyed. I feel your customer service is appalling with regards to this issue, passing me back to Bilstein. Do you not understand there is a labour cost to keep taking this part off sending it back to Bilstein? Stevie has been great and not charged me anything at all whilst looking into this. He has actually made a major loss and I've wasted lots of money having to keep going to and from eight speed.

#33 ·
Blah blah, moan moan.
Sorry for the moan but you are getting irritating now, how many threads have you got going where your waffling on about these damn coilovers?? :facepalm:

You purchased the coilovers from eightspeed not ABP, so your complaint is with eightspeed and then it's up to them to contact ABP/blisten.

I think it is out of order that you come on a forum slating a company that has done nothing but bend over backwards to help despite making 0% profit from you as you went elsewhere to buy the kit in the first place!!!

#27 ·
Dave....you are bordering on harrassment.
You paid eightspeed for the shocks....so your contract is with eightspeed.
Its upto eightspeed to resolve any issues you have.

Can you clarify why you think the set is not for the FN2 ?
Does the packaging not state such ?
Why are you fitting non FN2 parts if you new they were not the correct parts for the car ?
Surely you should have sent them back rather than fit them ?

#29 ·
Can you clarify why you think the set is not for the FN2 ?
Does the packaging not state such ?
Why are you fitting non FN2 parts if you new they were not the correct parts for the car ?
Surely you should have sent them back rather than fit them ?
To clarify this detail:

The B14 kit used on the FN2 Type R uses modified FRONT strut housings in order to fit the Type R. These modifications are carried out by ABP upon arrival in the UK with the full understanding and support of Bilstein UK.

NOTHING is modified on the rear at all including the shocks, springs, coil over platforms etc. All required mods for FN2 fitment are on the FRONT struts.

All FN model Civics use the same size & style rear dampers and the only differences between the Type R and other models is the pressure / valving of the shock absorber internals. Therefore the rear Bilstein B14 kit fits ALL models including Type R and 2.2 Diesel.

THIS KIT WAS BOUGHT FROM EIGHT SPEED so I don't understand why we are our customer service standards are being attacked or we are being asked to provide the end user with a refund :confused:

Chris

#36 ·
ABP are clearly not to blame in any way shape or form and are well regarded and generous business!

This kind of thread acting like an arse and going arse about tit at the wrong person.

are you targeting ABP because someone at eightspeed told you too?

#37 ·
Nobody has told me too, I have bought nearly every part from 8 speed, he fitted my diff, spacers, stoptech kit, exhaust and all fit like a glove there awsome. Fitting the dampers is a simple job really, could even do it myself if I had ramp

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.