2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,
Have a 56 reg "07" build Civic type S (NHB). Had it into my local Honda dealer a couple of times to fix various things, fuel cap, rattles etc. Now however i have what can only be discribed like two birds having a singing contest coming from the passenger side footwell area, may even be higher up where the windscreen meets the dash, very hard to tell for sure. It's driving me absolutely bonkers. Had the car in yesterday and they apparently fixed two rattles on the drivers dash, but this one is still very evident. So trying to get car back in asap. Anyone elese had a similar fault, so i know where to suggest they look first?

Cheers

·
Nifty with fish
333 Posts
I had a similar bird like chirp when I first got the car, again coming from the passenger side, solved very quicky by a simple gag ;)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Peatry,

Does the noise only happen when you reach a certian speed? I have a noise in the passenger windsreen area that only starts to occur when I go faster than 55mph. Garage can't trace it and their only suggestion is to put it in a wind tunnel as they think it is air pressure that is causing the issue.

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
If it's wind related, it might be worth checking the triangle of thin black plastic just in front of the wing mirror. The front clip can break causing it to whistle at speed.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Its not the air con pushing through is it? I get it sometimes on my Type S. Its the air being pumped through, if I alter the temp by a deg either way, the airflow is altered and the cheeeping vanishes.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Good grief... I was thinking I was the only person in the world experiencing this irksome problem. Had my car since October, apart from all the usual rattles, squeaks and groans this car is plagued with, this real weird noise started happening just before Christmas (about 2.5k on the clock). It starts when I hit 50-60mph. The noise then continues at higher speeds, and is constant - drives me nuts on motorway journeys. Like a high pitch rattling that seems to come from somewhere around the passenger air-vents. Having a front seat passenger diminishes the noise

The dealer has witnessed it, and stripped the entire dash out trying to find the source. I even drove it myself with most of the dash removed - a very
Un-nerving experience. With the dash removed, the noise actually seems to come from within the centre heating unit. With the dash in place, the noise travels through the dash so it sounds like it comes from out of the passenger air-vents.

The dealer is going to replace the entire heating unit this week - not a cheap job, but done under warranty. I’m keeping my fingers crossed this will cure it.

Would like to hear if anyone else has experiencing this problem, and if so, what did they do about it.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Good grief... I was thinking I was the only person in the world experiencing this irksome problem. Had my car since October, apart from all the usual rattles, squeaks and groans this car is plagued with, this real weird noise started happening just before Christmas (about 2.5k on the clock). It starts when I hit 50-60mph. The noise then continues at higher speeds, and is constant - drives me nuts on motorway journeys. Like a high pitch rattling that seems to come from somewhere around the passenger air-vents. Having a front seat passenger diminishes the noise

The dealer has witnessed it, and stripped the entire dash out trying to find the source. I even drove it myself with most of the dash removed - a very
Un-nerving experience. With the dash removed, the noise actually seems to come from within the centre heating unit. With the dash in place, the noise travels through the dash so it sounds like it comes from out of the passenger air-vents.

The dealer is going to replace the entire heating unit this week - not a cheap job, but done under warranty. I’m keeping my fingers crossed this will cure it.

Would like to hear if anyone else has experiencing this problem, and if so, what did they do about it.
mine is 2007 model and no problems with noise

however if some in the back opens the rear window just a little it gives a deafening noise you have to open a front window to compensate,

·
Registered
23 Posts

Zircon

Can you please let me know if replacing the heater unit resolves the problem, my dealer could not trace the fault, having a front seat passenger does not ease the problem. I am moving house later this week so will also be changing dealer for servicing, etc. Nothing like giving them a challenge as soon as you visit them!

·
Registered
6 Posts
DT - The dealer informs me that the car cannot now be seen to until next Weds :(

Regards some of the comments above, the noise seems to eminate from various places around the passenger side (front air-vents, footwell-vents etc). It is definately not coming from the outside. I've tried making all sorts of changes to the heating controls eg switching airon on/off, changing temp/fan speed etc, nothing seems to seems to effect it.

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
Not civic related but a few ZR's were plagued with wind noise which turned out to be the side mirror. More sepecifically the air was passing beneath the fitting and accross the mounting access holes. It was eventually cured by a little bit of bathroom silicone being applied around these holes and the base of the mirror mounting.

This was for a wind noise though, and what you are describing as a chirping sound suggests it's plastic rubbing on a smooth surface like glass. More likely part of your dash on the windscreen or the painted bodywork.

As I don't yet have my civic, can someone check if there are supposed to be foam spacers between the dash and the panels/screen? If not then I would think this kind of rubbing may be the cause.

·
Registered
104 Posts
spooky.. I was coming on here today to see if anyone else gets the "bird chirp" noise...

I've just started getting it on my type r gt.. usually when either front wheel hits a manhole or something similar in the road.. aircon was switched off at the time..

sounds like it's coming from behind where the radio sits

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
This is something I had every so often, going over bumps and rough roads.
I thought it was the glovebox at first it was so annoying, started holding different parts of the dash then hitting different parts of the dash and then hitting my head, I then had Mrs JoeyF holding all parts (of the dash;) !) while I was driving, she said it sounds like it was coming from behind the radio!
I was so annoyed with the noise that I started taking parts of the dashboard off before going for a drive seeing if it was still there.
Finally found what was making the noise, it was the section of dash between the top of the radio and bottom of the screen were the radio display is. (see image) I took it off and adjusted the foam circles that are around the mounts just tightened up all the visible screws and then replaced it, and hey presto the bird like chirping was gone.
I think that section of plastic was rubbing against the radio display just at the very left where it goes to a point.
Might be worth you guys having a look at it!

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Looks like various unwanted noises people are experiencing can be described as a bird like chirp!

My local Honda dealer has finally rectified the noise I was experiencing. They employed a device called a somethingorother ear. It was basically a tube connected to an amplifier and headphone set. They dismantled most of the dash and took the car for a ride. The passenger mechanic got real low down in the footwell area and used the device to pin point where the sound was coming from.

Before using the device, the dealer initially thought it was coming from the central heating unit, even though the sound seemed to come from the passenger air-vents and foot well area. However, with the help of the device, it was discovered the sound was actually coming from the front exhaust heat-shield! It started to resonate at 50-60mph, and the sound continued at greater speeds. Once secured, the noise was no more.

Hats off to my dealer for finding and rectifying the problem. They spent several days investigating, dismantling and re-building my dash. They have also managed to fix many of the irksome rattles that plagued the dash area.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I'm having difficulty removing this panel, can't seem to release the corners. Would appeciate any advice, how much force is required ?
Thanks.

·
Registered
676 Posts
pcr,

I want to remove that part also (still haven't tried it..)
here some pics I hope it helps:

Attachments

·
Registered
676 Posts
one more thing:
check out the cover of the rainsensor also... I had some sqeaks there... but with foam+ d.tape I made it silent..

Attachments

1 - 20 of 30 Posts