2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Love Mi-VTEC!
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Thought I'd take the opportunity to post a few pictures of the car.
I've named him 'Black Thunder', and quite appropriately (I feel) named the 5500-8500 rev range the 'Storm Zone' because that's when it "brings the Thunder!". lol

Must say, I love the Type R, love Honda and love VTEC!
I've only ever owned boring cars; one Rover 25 and three Peugeot 206's.
This is my first hot hatch. It's taking a bit of getting used to adjusting to the much much poorer fuel consumption than what I was getting from my 1.6HDi 206, but man is it worth it!
I always thought my ultimate car would be an Audi or a BMW but now think I'm going to be a purely Honda man. :eek:

Fingers crossed this car provides many years of enjoyment and reliability.

Anyway, nice talking with you.

Andy

Attachments

·
Love Mi-VTEC!
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the feedback guys. :)
Lightening stripes is a tempting idea. lol

·
Love Mi-VTEC!
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That does look pretty awesome. :)
I'm still not sure what direction to go with it yet.
I'm going to have a wee dig around threads here to try and get an idea what's possible and what's good.
I'm still enjoying the car as it is currently, the main thing I'd like is earlier engagement of the VTEC. I'm currently finding it not all that practical kicking it in in my current daily journeys.

You guys got any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
6,314 Posts
Nice mate looking good.

Think maybe flashpro would be the best option if you want the vtec range to come down from the 5200 to i think about 3500rpm maybe some other members can comfirm this

·
Premium Member
1,687 Posts
Looks smart mate. Keep us updated once the modding starts. I'm CERTAIN it will :)

·
Love Mi-VTEC!
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Will do. :)
Been doing a little bit of reading about the flash pro.
It sounds like it'll make my love of the car a lot better, and from what I've seen so far it shouldn't matter to much that mine's stock.
One thing I really like the sound of is peoples comments about it making general engine running and responsiveness smoother. I do find sometimes that there's a noticable hesitation and jolt if I release my foot from the throttle to go down an incline, then apply it again. At first I wondered if there was something wrong with mine, but from spending some time on the forum it sounds like it's just part of the cars character.
Although it sounds like custom tuning is recommended rather than using generic maps that come with it. Are there any good places in Central Scotland that do custom tuning does anyone know?

I'm utterly new to car modding and am wondering what such tuning does to the cars long term reliabilty. I went for the Honda for their reputation as I wanted a car that would prove more reliable over the years of ownership than my shockingly bad Peugeot 206.
Would having a lower VTEC starting point improve or degrade the engine life? I'm still unsure fully how VTEC works and whether it's operation provides any more strain on the engine that non-VTEC operation.
Also, can it improve fuel consumption in reality?

Sorry for all the questions, but I do appreciate all your responses and help.

·
Premium Member
1,274 Posts
Welcome along buddy, enjoy the motor.

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
Andy.
I am not your man to assist with the mods. There are however many on this site who will be more than willing to help.
Have a look round the "Type R" threads.
I can certainly vouch for the car.
I bought mine brand new in 2007. Have covered 40,000 miles without problem. Best car I have ever owned and I have now owned 32!
Enjoy

·
Love Mi-VTEC!
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
We're in Fantastic mate, near Falkirk High School. Where about are you?

The Type R I bought's a bit more miles. It covered 63k when I got it 3-4 weeks ago. It's now done 64k.:)
I'm sure it's going to be great though.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts