2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

41 - 60 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Edd when I brought mine up to you I filled up with shell v power as you requested but I also had a k&n panel filter on which may of helped get a few horsepower more
A panel filter will give you 0.5bhp maybe. That doesn't make the difference.

·
Registered
491 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Does the K&N filter effect the MAF sensor, I've read about the oil causing issues?

·
Registered
491 Posts
Does the K&N filter effect the MAF sensor, I've read about the oil causing issues?
Most of those problems are because people spray too much oil on the filter after cleaning it.

·
Vendor
65 Posts
Edd when I brought mine up to you I filled up with shell v power as you requested but I also had a k&n panel filter on which may of helped get a few horsepower more
A panel filter will give you 0.5bhp maybe. That doesn't make the difference.
I completely agree on most modern cars. I have tested back to back tons of induction kits and panel filters across a whole range of cars. I the majority of instances they make zero gain. In some instances they make a slight loss. Any filter loss is detrimental to fuel economy and CO2 emissions, which obviously OEM's are extremely keen to get the best results in. Filter loss is also very easy, (and most importantly for OEM's cheap) to eliminate by using a physically larger filter element by design.

I have logged peak pressure loss across the filters on quite a few modern cars and usually you see less than 1kpa drop. This means that even with no filter whatsoever, the maximum possible gains would be 1%. I have yet to log a Civic, but when I do I will be sure to post the results. The only reason I haven't is that it requires drilling into the airbox to tap a hose tee into, which most people are (understandably) not keen on unless we are fitting an induction kit and the old airbox is going in the bin.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I completely agree on most modern cars. I have tested back to back tons of induction kits and panel filters across a whole range of cars. I the majority of instances they make zero gain. In some instances they make a slight loss. Any filter loss is detrimental to fuel economy and CO2 emissions, which obviously OEM's are extremely keen to get the best results in. Filter loss is also very easy, (and most importantly for OEM's cheap) to eliminate by using a physically larger filter element by design.

I have logged peak pressure loss across the filters on quite a few modern cars and usually you see less than 1kpa drop. This means that even with no filter whatsoever, the maximum possible gains would be 1%. I have yet to log a Civic, but when I do I will be sure to post the results. The only reason I haven't is that it requires drilling into the airbox to tap a hose tee into, which most people are (understandably) not keen on unless we are fitting an induction kit and the old airbox is going in the bin.
There is one thing for sure The K&N will let more sh** in to the engine and I don't think thats what I want .

·
Registered
491 Posts
There is one thing for sure The K&N will let more sh** in to the engine and I don't think that what I want .
True, as for filtering is a paper one still the best.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
I love em the first thing I have done when I have brought a car is replace the oem paper filter with a performance one be it k&n pipercross or itg I have done it since my XR2 back in the 80s, I did have a viper ind kit on my 1.6 sport 7th gen which got 10hp more on the dyno. True a panel fliter will only get a very small hp gain 2-4 hp on my 1.8 8th gen I got 143 hp with one on and premium fuel but i have always found an improvement at higher revs with throttle response ,smoothness and induction sound compared to the oem one another factor is price as over the long term they last much longer.
K&N are one of the world's leading aftermarket perf air filters they are an American company and if they didn't do what they claim on the box they would be sued for millions of dollars by now
Another point is how popular they are in motorsport and engine tuning which must say something why they choose them over a paper oem one.
I personally think they are the cheapest most simple perf mod you can do and enhance and further mods like chiping or perf exhaust fitment

·
Registered
491 Posts
I love em the first thing I have done when I have brought a car is replace the oem paper filter with a performance one be it k&n pipercross or itg I have done it since my XR2 back in the 80s, I did have a viper ind kit on my 1.6 sport 7th gen which got 10hp more on the dyno. True a panel fliter will only get a very small hp gain 2-4 hp on my 1.8 8th gen I got 143 hp with one on and premium fuel but i have always found an improvement at higher revs with throttle response ,smoothness and induction sound compared to the oem one another factor is price as over the long term they last much longer.
K&N are one of the world's leading aftermarket perf air filters they are an American company and if they didn't do what they claim on the box they would be sued for millions of dollars by now
Another point is how popular they are in motorsport and engine tuning which must say something why they choose them over a paper oem one.
I personally think they are the cheapest most simple perf mod you can do and enhance and further mods like chiping or perf exhaust fitment
I also have past experiences with different kind of filters being K&N panel filter, BMC panel filter, BMC CDA,... In my experience they're not worth the trouble, I rather replace the paper one then apply new oil every time (with the risk of damage the MAF sensor). 2-4hp is almost not noticeable and to my it's in the mind. Also dyno's don't read every time the exact same numbers when testing directly in succession.
I'm not saying K&N is crap, not at all, I know they make good filters. But a panel filter is not worth the trouble in my opinion, certainly not when you're expecting to gain hp.
Also there are cars that benefit from a better filter, but that's most of the time more then just a panel filter. Our Civic's get good gains from a PRL Cobra CAI (I believe +10hp).

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
The amount of miles i do and years I keep a car for means I don't have to worry about re-oiling a k&n I did have a simple mini aerosol spray for my foam pipercross one but I don't think I will go to the trouble of re-oiling the k&n I would sooner buy another as the oem one is around £30 vs £45-50. I do intend keeping this car a long time however so I may put the clean 4k mile use oem one back in which I have kept when the k&n gets dirty

·
Registered
32 Posts
Glad you're enjoying it, map A is for use with reg 95 RON unleaded, I leave mine on D which is the 240hp setting. Edd said E is just a blank, I have also got a k&n panel filter on which was on the car when the box was set up on their dyno, I stick to super unleaded mainly Sbury's because it's only 4-5 p more than their regular, occasionally I do use shell v power . I have also found an improvement in mpg mainly motorway cruising because you can change up quicker and use a higher gear due to the extra power and torque.
I do like putting it in 3rd holding steady at 30-40 mph then flooring it when presented with a long straight bit of national speed limit road in seconds you are doing over 80, goes like a rocket ship.
i recently had a phone call as regards to feedback on the box and the guy on the phone confirmed for me that setting E is probably the same as setting D. after this call I then decided to change the box to setting E before my commute to work in the evening and WOW! it actually feels better and smoother than setting D so I have therefore decided that this is the best setting for me! my fuel economy at best on the motorway to work seems to be 49mpg on V power in eco mode so I am happy with this. I love turning off eco mode from time to time to remind myself of the power from the tuning box, its such a great module and apparently there is development of a Bluetooth attachment coming soon!

·
Vendor
65 Posts
Just wondering if I have the option of mapping mine as I have the CVT gearbox? That power output when modified is pretty impressive.
Quite a few people are running the box with the CVT. What I suggest is keeping the unit on setting C and not to using the higher settings. This limits torque to an extent, which will help matters significantly. You could also come to us and get a 3 channel unit set up for your car. I can set one of these at a fully RPM dependent customisable torque limit. There are several options possible.

·
Vendor
65 Posts
Thanks for the replies.
So what figures would I get on setting C?
You could expect to see 225hp and a 30Nm torque increase.

Whilst that Hondata video is interesting, bear in mind that they do say they deliberately killed it by running too much torque.

As with most things, so long as you are sensible it won't be an issue.

Best Regards,
Edd

·
Registered
94 Posts
Would be good to know how well the manual copes with the extra torque :smile3:

41 - 60 of 88 Posts