2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

So I'm looking at buying one of these - I've seen an actual re-map could be better, but I like the flexibility this box has in terms of removing the tune quickly.

However, I'm not very good with cars (yet) and wouldn't mind some installation advice if possible - maybe from those who have already successfully done it? I've looked at the PDF manual they give you, and I still worry I'm not understanding...

Does anyone who has done this before fancy adding to the 'How-To' section of this forum? I appreciate this sounds a little lazy on my part - but if anyone could help another Civic brother out, I would be most greatful! :wink3:

Thanks,

Lucas

·
Registered
17 Posts
whilst the Bluespark, and many other little black boxes for increasing fuel rail and boost pressure via offsetting the real values that the ECU reads are easy and straight forward to fit. I would recommend looking at remapping, there are 2 options there someone loads the binaries (file) from you or you load it yourself. there are advantages that if you did it yourself you and rewrite the old (OEM) binarys back on whenever you want, thus not getting your hand dirty you just plugin via the OBD port

For me, im looking into a remap at the moment, as the EGR can be disabled, which appears to always clog up the manifold over time.
In my experience increasing the fueling too much leads to unburnt fuel more soot passing back around into the inlet manifold via the EGR. (I'm not knocking Bluespark, as I have no experience directly with there product)

·
Vendor
56 Posts
For me, im looking into a remap at the moment, as the EGR can be disabled, which appears to always clog up the manifold over time.
In my experience increasing the fueling too much leads to unburnt fuel more soot passing back around into the inlet manifold via the EGR. (I'm not knocking Bluespark, as I have no experience directly with there product)
It is true that if you increase fuelling too much (especially without raising boost) then you can cause more soot, regardless of which tuning method you take. We take careful steps to ensure this isn't the case.

EGR can block your intake manifold over time, and will do on a standard unmodified car. if the car has done 80-100k miles, I would suggest removing and cleaning the manifold and pipework would be absolutely beneficial.

You can reduce the requirement of doing this by disabling the EGR and removing the DPF through an ECU remap. The issue with doing these things is that they are both now an MOT failure, and if the DVSA catch you in a roadside test they can sieze (and potentially crush) your car.

As DPF/EGR removal is now flat out illegal, it can also deem your car unroadworthy in the eyes of your insurer.

Whilst it is of course reasonably unlikely that you would be caught, and lots of people know a "friendly" MOT tester, these things still are worth bearing in mind.

Best Regards,
Edd

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well - I finally got the BlueSpark Pro + Boost kit, and fitted it yesterday. Install was a little fiddly due to the location of the clips for both the rail and boost sensors, but I have to admit that was more straight-forward than I was expecting in all! Job was done in about 30mins, but could be done in 5-10 had my hands been a bit smaller and nimble. As a seasoned PC builder, this sort of felt like the same concept.

Unfortunatly I haven't really been able to go for a proper drive since fitting, as yesterday's weather was insane! Floods everywhere... I will be commuting to work in the morning though, so I should start getting a proper feel of things from there - maybe see if any of the other modes available on the box are worth me trying? I decided to keep it on the default tune to get a baseline for now just because that seems like the overall recommended setting, but I like to drive at lower revs a lot of the time, so not sure I will really get the full benefit of the power through the whole rev range. I'm quite happy to have it all down low lol. Time will tell I guess...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok so after a week or so of driving with this box, I'm pretty happy with it, but I can't say it's blown me away so far... I was expecting a bit more 'kick' on the torque side of things, which I think it's done to some degree - but not as much as I had imagined in my head before-hand. It always amazes me how quickly I get used to a certain amount of power too! For the first journey I'm all "yeah i really feel this!", but then after a couple of trips I just adapt to it and forget about that extra grunt...

I kept the default setting for the first couple of days (C6 I think?) but have moved it up to C9 now, which seems to feel a bit better for torque and also better on the economy bizzarely! I still have D and E maps to explore if I feel inclined to go down the more power route, but I don't want the economy to take too much of a hit. My ideal 'map' would be to have all the power down at lower revs to be honest, so that's what I'm trying to get from this box overall I think. I mean being a diesel engine it's got that characteristic anyway - I just want the box to make that more pronounced.

Overall, I'm happy I got the box though - but it seems some experimenting with the settings and finding one that suits you as an individual is the key to getting the most from it. It's a shame there's not a graph that shows the difference between all the different maps actually, as that would help fine-tuning the box. It did come with a general graph showing maps A and E (I think it was those two), but it seems it's then left to the user to fill in the blanks between those two extremes from there. If anyone here feels like sharing their own experiences and setting preferences, I'm keen to understand what's worked for you!

·
Registered
52 Posts
It is still a small 1.6 litre engine. Get a 3.0 TDI if you want more torque. Or a Tesla :)

My box is on D8 which is still good for fuel consumption. I rarely use the full power - then I would buy another car. But it is quick enough for its size. Had it at 220 km/h (not GPS) on the Autobahn yesterday easily.
I bought this car mainly for economical reasons - Diesel is cheaper and I get more than 900 km out of one tank. Just don't start getting crazy over settings. Chose one that lets the engine run smooth - I had settings where it felt not right. Overall the engine feels "lighter" with the box but now on colder weather it really stresses the clutch. I may have to think about that.

·
Premium Member
1,740 Posts
Ok so after a week or so of driving with this box, I'm pretty happy with it, but I can't say it's blown me away so far... I was expecting a bit more 'kick' on the torque side of things, which I think it's done to some degree - but not as much as I had imagined in my head before-hand. It always amazes me how quickly I get used to a certain amount of power too! For the first journey I'm all "yeah i really feel this!", but then after a couple of trips I just adapt to it and forget about that extra grunt...

I kept the default setting for the first couple of days (C6 I think?) but have moved it up to C9 now, which seems to feel a bit better for torque and also better on the economy bizzarely! I still have D and E maps to explore if I feel inclined to go down the more power route, but I don't want the economy to take too much of a hit. My ideal 'map' would be to have all the power down at lower revs to be honest, so that's what I'm trying to get from this box overall I think. I mean being a diesel engine it's got that characteristic anyway - I just want the box to make that more pronounced.

Overall, I'm happy I got the box though - but it seems some experimenting with the settings and finding one that suits you as an individual is the key to getting the most from it. It's a shame there's not a graph that shows the difference between all the different maps actually, as that would help fine-tuning the box. It did come with a general graph showing maps A and E (I think it was those two), but it seems it's then left to the user to fill in the blanks between those two extremes from there. If anyone here feels like sharing their own experiences and setting preferences, I'm keen to understand what's worked for you!
agree with you on the graphs for different maps
there's not great difference between them from what ive noticed if you go high upon map e then bottom end isn't much different to standard but higher up in the revs it does seam a bit more lively
for me c or d are the maps that give better bottom/mid improvement I went from 2.2 to the 1.6 so was big big difference and a disappointment at first

·
Registered
4 Posts
Fitted one of these a week or so ago... Started on C6 (stock setting) and noticed slightly better driveability at lower revs and marginally more torque lower down, but not really a great difference. Changed to E7 last weekend and this is much more noticeable... the car certainly feels a lot livelier and definitely quicker through the gears. Wheel spin at lower revs now much more so have to control a bit more otherwise clutch/drivetrain wear may become an issue.

·
Premium Member
1,740 Posts
so your getting wheel spin after changing to e
I found the bottom end either no change from standard or little
the change I found on e was in higher revs ?
id rather have low to mid range improvement

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yes, definitely more power when being heavy footed on the throttle, causing more wheelspin than before on standard or C6 setting. I can only repeat what I said before, that on the standard C6 setting there was a minimal improvement over standard, (mainly being able to drive below 1500rpm without straining the engine too much) but as soon as I drove with E7 the difference was apparent... Feels a lot livelier throughout the rev range and more enjoyable. I've only tried 2 settings so far but I'm happy with E7 unless the MPG drops considerably... Maybe try D5 on the next tank, as a few posts have suggested.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Lucas_Doel... have you any new observations from your experience of this box... Are you still on C9 setting?PS. After a full tank on E7 my MPG dropped from 51 to 47 (A daily 13 mile each-way commute through Newcastle with 8 miles of A road and the rest stop-start). I'm gonna try D5 next.

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
Ok so after a week or so of driving with this box, I'm pretty happy with it, but I can't say it's blown me away so far... I was expecting a bit more 'kick' on the torque side of things, which I think it's done to some degree - but not as much as I had imagined in my head before-hand.
Interesting to get your view on this Lucas - i was weighing up the tuning box vs. re-map thing a few months back and went for the celtic stage 1 map for mine.

I have to say my experience of the car post-map is pretty much also also as you describe here - ie yes its quicker but its not blown me away . yes it's nicer to have more torque and you can definitely feel the improvement over stock, but it's not turned the car into a tyre shredder.

as others have said - its just a 1.6 diesel so it's never going to be a super car, but i guess i was expecting it to feel stronger based on the torque numbers that are advertised.

am i satisfied overall - absolutely yes. for only 290 quid or whatever it was it's definitely worth doing .

:)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Interesting to get your view on this Lucas - i was weighing up the tuning box vs. re-map thing a few months back and went for the celtic stage 1 map for mine.

I have to say my experience of the car post-map is pretty much also also as you describe here - ie yes its quicker but its not blown me away . yes it's nicer to have more torque and you can definitely feel the improvement over stock, but it's not turned the car into a tyre shredder.

as others have said - its just a 1.6 diesel so it's never going to be a super car, but i guess i was expecting it to feel stronger based on the torque numbers that are advertised.

am i satisfied overall - absolutely yes. for only 290 quid or whatever it was it's definitely worth doing .

:)
Hi Rob, Yes I'm glad someone else feels the same about the tuning of the car! Ok so you went down the re-map route (which I almost did myself actually) but it's odd that the increase in terms of stats and graphs doesn't actually feel like a huge gain? Like you, I'm glad I did what I did - but I was hoping to feel a bigger difference considering the numbers quoted etc...

I guess the moral of the story is - don't expect too much from the 1.6 Deisel engine lol. I mean I knew this when I got the car, and despite making mine look quite Type R in styling - I was always looking for a practical car I could take the family out in, and keep MPG nice and high. I was just hoping the tuning box would compensate a bit more for the missed power. I had a 2013 1.8 Ti petrol before, and that was great on power once I got over 3.5 - 4.0 k RPM, but the MPG was shocking! What i really like about the Desiel is the fact the the power is all coming at you from 1.5k RPM onwards and therefore saves me having to rev the hell out of it lol. I wanted the tuning box to increase this specifically (and thought it would) - but I find it's re-mapped in a way where the low rev range is pretty similar, with added pull at those higher revs too now. This is nice and all, but when you are used to having all the pull low down - you almost have to start going back to the 'boy racer' style of driving and rev a lot harder for those new gains... I guess that's just how I thought in my head things would work, hence the slightly underwhelming feeling by it all.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I recently had the best mpg still on D8 = 3.9 L/100 km which is 72,4 mpg(?). Not going slow on Autobahn (120 - 150 km/h). Weather and traffic are huge factors. 90% it stays under 5L/100km.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts