2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

81 - 93 of 93 Posts

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
Managed to fit the box today. Removing the airbox was the most difficult part, but once that was done it was straight forward.

Car definitely feels more smoother but cant feel much difference in terms of power. Will move up to setting D tomorrow and see how it goes.

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
Edd has told me to keep it on setting C for 200 miles before changing to D or E.
@jasperctr what setting are you running it on and how does it feel? Can you notice a power increase?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have the box on the default setting C and the power increase is very noticeable. I have a K&N air filter and use 99 fuel. MPG has increased, Car is a lot smoother and far more responsive. I don’t see the point in moving to another setting on my car, great improvement where it is.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey guys, one of the air box bolt (close to ecu) is pretty deep in, like 20cm, looks like a pain to reach. May i know what is the socket size for those air box bolts as i want to make sure i get the correct tools for the job? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
Hey guys, one of the air box bolt (close to ecu) is pretty deep in, like 20cm, looks like a pain to reach. May i know what is the socket size for those air box bolts as i want to make sure i get the correct tools for the job? Thanks!
Cant remember what the exact socket size is but it is the same as the one which is nearer to you. But you will definitely need an extension arm to reach it.

Also, just a bit of advice...

Once you have removed the 2 bolts and the plug, you will need to give the air-box a firm pull to get it out. I tried to give it a gentle pull as stated in the instructions but it wouldn't come out. Then I pulled it quite firmly which worked. Removing the air-box was the most difficult task if your doing it for the first time.

To fit it back in, you need to put it in place and firmly push it down so that the rubber part at the bottom goes back in.

·
Registered
42 Posts
These boxes gonna be okay in the long run on these 1.0T engines ? Been told about the 1.0T engines having quite abit Of boost already and that they have had returns on them regarding the fan blades snapping on turbo and going into engine ? (From a Honda tech I know) 9 so far I believe have been returned.

·
Vendor
65 Posts
These boxes gonna be okay in the long run on these 1.0T engines ? Been told about the 1.0T engines having quite abit Of boost already and that they have had returns on them regarding the fan blades snapping on turbo and going into engine ? (From a Honda tech I know) 9 so far I believe have been returned.
I haven't heard of an instance of turbo failure, but it depends completely why those standard cars had turbo failure. You can however be confident that the reason isn't that Honda specced a turbo incapable of making the designed boost level.

Simply running high boost doesn't cause any turbo issues in itself, most modern turbos can make very high boost levels and remain totally in spec. Taking the turbo beyond its maximum speed may well cause issues, but we don't do that, and that almost 100% won't have been the issue on any factory tune. Manufacturers know what they are doing as regards turbo spec.

The most common reason for turbo failure is oil starvation. If the turbo loses oil for even a moment while spinnning it will damage its bearing, go slack, then the blades will contact the housing. OEM's have had loads of issues with this, Peugeot Citroen and Ford had issues with their 1.6 Diesel getting loose bits of cylinder head casting flash from the oil galleries into the turbo oil lines.

The other reasonably common reasons for turbo failure are imbalance, manufacturing errors or foreign object ingress.

Our tune on the 1.0 Civic provides good gains, but is reasonably mild as upgrades go. You can rest assured that we aren't pushing things too hard. On anyone's daily driver I would always rather make 5hp less but be confident that we weren't close to the edge of failure. Not all tuners take the same stance.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Oh right. Fingers crossed then.

I’ve had about 3 Bluespark tuning boxes fitted to previous cars. Went down bluespark unit and they fitted and helped me a lot with them. Good bunch of lads. Never had issues with them fitted. Good output too!

Jonny

·
Premium Member
2,282 Posts
I'm not so sure about the fan blade snapping claim - I've heard it rumoured myself, but a tech on the honda warranty facebook page showed the full reason for premature failure on these engines as being a badly designed bearing:- It would clog the oil line filters with particulates, leading to the turbo failing as it was starved of oil:- Not the turbos fault.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/HONDAWarrantyClaims/permalink/425213551434142/?comment_id=425213998100764

·
Vendor
65 Posts
Great info Haltamer.

It never ceases to amaze me that OEM's seem to have the same issues as each other on a cyclic basis.

Stuff like this is easily avoided with just a bit of forethought, and must cost them potentially millions as a result.

As I was saying above, oil starvation is by far the number one killer of turbos for almost every manufacturer.

81 - 93 of 93 Posts