2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

Bluespark Tuning Module for 1.0 Turbo

33K views 99 replies 19 participants last post by  TimQ 
#1 ·
So I've finally sorted myself out with a trip to see Edd at Bluespark this coming Friday. Plan is to put the car on the dyno and produce a tuning module for the 1.0 turbo. I believe Bluespark will then make this an off the shelf purchase to any of you out there that are interested.

I'll report back Friday night once I get home and share all the data and results from the day with you.

Watch this space........ :grin2:

#6 ·
as this is the first map
personally I think it should be done on standard pump fuel so everyone else buying 1 gets the best set up for standard running
not everyone wants to run on premium fuel and some areas you have to travel to find a filling station that sells it

yes the car will perform and respond better on the dyno with premium fuel in but will it produce a better map ?

#7 ·
That's a fair shout is that. I never use 99 RON normally, always 95, so I suppose that would suit me better as well. I'll drop Edd a message about it and see what he thinks.

#8 ·
Now, Somewhat off topic, but thinking about it, if you fill up from empty with 99 rather than 95, at ~4p premium (Wishful in some cases; current rate at costco.) - Over 50l, it's only £1.50 Difference.

With a tune such as this, you do see a considerable amount of extra power due to the extra knock resistance.

I'd imagine you're best using 99 to get the maximum possible output; The ECU will automatically retard ignition timings when knock is detected (E.g. 95RON) to dial back ignition timing - Reducing octane requirement, hence knocking, as well as power.

Have a play of automation, it's quite intresting :p

#11 ·
Be Interested to see the gains, yes use shell v power or tesco momentum edd told me to use premium fuel for dyno mapping mainly to avoid knocking, he did a map A suitable for 95 RON which was 227 hp on my 1.5 and 240hp on the top map using 99 Ron .
If you use the premium fuel he will still do a map suitable for running on 95 RON

#13 ·
I'm getting there for 12 and expecting to be there for most of the afternoon. My 15 year old daughter is coming with me so the wait will seriously test her patience! [smilie=giggle.gif]

Good to hear about the different maps for the different fuels. I did already message Edd last night so I'll see what he comes back with.

#14 ·
I'm looking forward to seeing Jason and his car tomorrow.

I will produce settings for use with both 95RON and 99RON.

It is easier to run on 99, get usable data, then turn it down a little for a 95RON tune than it is to tune for 95 then guess at a map into the unknown.

As for running settings for 99, filling with 95 and letting the car back itself off (as I see some people have suggested) I wouldn't personally reccomend it. Whilst this won't cause damage, modern ECU's tend to primarily change timing based upon knock sensor data.

If you ran a 99RON map with 95RON fuel, virtually any modern car will detect the onset of knock long before it happens and pull timing. Because the engine is doing this to protect itself, timing doesn't tend to be changed gracefully. What we usually see in this circumstance is timing being pulled out in 5 degree "lumps". As a result power is lost, but so is fuel economy.

Generally speaking, a map set up for 95RON run on 95RON tends to make better power, better fuel economy and drive nicer when compared with a higher boost map setup for 99RON that has been pulled back by the ECU protection systems due to 95RON being in the tank.

#16 ·
Hi Edd,

If I buy a tuning box from your website would it have both maps installed? 95ron and 99ron?

Thanks

Paul:smile3:

#17 ·
Edd after a little experiment with the maps at first I decided on a compromise, I have left it on the top setting for 99 Ron but use S'burys super unleaded which is 97 Ron their petrol station is only over the road from me and it's only 5 pp ltr more than regular currently 123.9 by me v power is 15 pp ltr more but I still fill up occasionally with it

#19 ·
That seems fair enough tbh. We weren't hitting timing pull at maximum power on your unit when running 99RON, it had just gone as far as I thought was sensible to take it.

That said, Tesco's Momentum is 99RON and usually is priced fairly similarly to Sainsbury's 97.

#23 ·
Here's hoping! :grin2::grin2: I could be gone for a while tomorrow if it is! [smilie=laff.gif]

#24 · (Edited)
So had my visit to see Edd and the guys and Bluespark today. Very friendly and professional bunch who spent the whole afternoon working on the Civic to find a suitable state of tune.

Edd was surprised at the amount of standard boost already on the engine (20-21 I think he said) so was reluctant to push to more than 24, so the gains are good, and noticeable, but not possibly as much as expected. Still, there's a good gain in output, economy was certainly no worse on my 100 mile trip home, and fuelling felt smoother throughout, especially on a couple of sections in the rev range.

Standard car showed 131BHP & 195NM, 99RON map 150BHP (149.8 actually but hey, let's round up!) & 225NM, 95RON map 146BHP & 215NM.

A great and thorough job all round. Thanks to @edd@bluespark and the guys. I came away very happy.

Here's the dyno graph and other pics.....

#29 ·
Just dipping under 5 seconds I think now! [smilie=giggle.gif][smilie=giggle.gif]

#30 ·
Can you seriously not see the images?? I can see them, and I hosted on Photobucket and copied the URL like I've done before???

#31 ·
For the price I would say so @D84rk_Knight. Edd said he could have used the multi channel box and probably got a bit more power and an even smoother torque curve but it would have doubled the cost and probably put most people of purchasing one. So for £140 (I think that's what it is with members discount) then I'd say it's worth it.

#41 ·
Edd didn't mention when they'd have it ready for sale @D84rk_Knight. They took some pics and will create a fitting guide and then have them for sale I think. Send Edd a PM and I'm sure he'll give you a better idea.

Pics to follow of it's fitment on my car.

#39 ·
Totally agree @scaramanga. This is what I was wanting. Smoother delivery and a bit of improved pulling power. I'm not arsed about improving 0-60 or top speed.

Reactions: Riko
#40 ·
Yep, wanted to capture the awesome Ibiza estate @rogp1! [smilie=giggle.gif]

#38 ·
Can you see the pictures now gents?

#42 ·
Here's a couple of pics of where the guys fitted the box.

2 connectors into the loom, one very easily found at the top of the engine, the other is unfortunately under the air box so requires it's removal to access it. Only a couple of bolts though so a quick job. The box of tricks is neatly hidden inside a cloth black bag and tie wrapped just in front of the battery,

#44 ·
Did you have any problems re-setting the warning lights after the dyno? Mine lit up like a Christmas tree and Edd was having problems re-setting due to the car been so new eventually he took the box off and refitted after that cancelled the warning lights

#52 ·
The only warning lights I saw all day were the one's on the dashboard of the Ibiza courtesy car! :laugh2:

Edd didn't mention anything about any warning lights on the Civic so I presume all must have been ok.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.