2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

My ex is about to go in for it's first service. No major problems so far but 1 "quirk".

If I've got the car turned off, keys out and locked, it will still try to sync with my bluetooth phone. Is this normal? Surly all of the bluetooth electronics should turn off with the car?

anyone else got an ex with the standard hands free? I'd like to check how it's supposed to work in case I need to get the dealer to change it.

thanks

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
mine definately turns odd when I turn the car off - the phone displays something like 'disconnected from Honda HFT' for a second or 2

How can you tell it's still searching for the phone?

·
Premium Member
2,763 Posts
Just tested mine for you. Switched on Bluetooth on my SE K750i; no response. Unlocked car; no response; turned key to position I; phone connects; turn off ignition; phone beeps and shows 'Honda HFT Disconnected'.

Mine only connects when in the Key I or II position.

·
Smell My Cheese!
1,888 Posts
Mine seems to stay connected for a long time, occasionally after I walk away from the car. I can get from the car and walk about 15m round the front of the house and to the front door before I get the beep to say it is disconnected. Although other times it is quicker. Would love to go and test it, but thats what Honda are doing at present.

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
Rich / SteveKing

what phones have you got?
Could it be the phone failing to recognise the car being turned off?

Or - when it comes back Rich :( - wonder what happens if you don't walk away. Ie is it a time delay or a distance thing. IIRC bluetooth has a range of about 10-15m, so it could be that the car bluetooth is still on, and phone is disconnecting because you're out of range?

(Mine's a Nokia 6230i just for note)

·
Smell My Cheese!
1,888 Posts
I have a Nokia 6822, Sony Ericcson Z600 & Samsung Z400i. The Samsung has less of a problem.

Just actually tried it with the Accord loaner. Turn on engine, BT connects. Turn off engine, wait for one minute in car, BT stays connected, walk away, get to front door, loud beep, error message as BT disconnects. I know sometimes it does disconnect quietly. I guess the above example meant it had lost range.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've got a Sony Ericsson T630. Works great normally but there's something wrong with my car as I can...

Get home, take the key out, lock the car, walk into the house, have a cup of tea, decide to make a phone call, wander outside and the phone will connect.

I can't think it's the phone's fault as surly the car should turn off it's bluetooth (you can't make the call as the radio/speakers etc. are of course, off and the doors are closed).

·
Registered
68 Posts
I've noticed with my phone (Sony Ericsson), that sometimes it disconnects right away or sometimes it can be 10-20 mins before it finally realises. It must be something to do with how often the phone 'polls' the bluetooth device it is connected to to make sure its still there.

Once its disconnected though it stays that way until I turn the car back on

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
I recall in the Civic manual the HFT stays active for 10 minutes after you turn off, so if you are still in range then it goes to the HFT as I've discovered once while in the house :)

·
estranged
391 Posts
That's odd, my phone disconnects as soon as I turn the car off. it says "Honda HFT Disconnected", so it's losing the connection almost right away.

Perhaps there's a setting on the phone itself that causes this?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Fedorov said:
I recall in the Civic manual the HFT stays active for 10 minutes after you turn off, so if you are still in range then it goes to the HFT as I've discovered once while in the house :)
thanks, I'll try that tonight. maybe I've not waited the 10 minutes.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Tried it. You're right, after 10 minutes it turns itself off. problem solved. patience, that's the answer.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I think you'll find it only stays on for 10 mins if you're using the phone when you turn the ignition off. Basically allows you 10 mins to finish your call once you've stopped.

I think...

~David

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yep, you've got it spot on. I have a chat with the service guy at the garage when I picked the car up after it's service yesterday. Should have trusted Honda, they must officially have "thought of everything" when they made this model :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
...apart from the list of issues on the other bits of this forum...

• remote controlled windows
  • ability to fold/unfold mirrors without ignition
  • HFT microphone with 'selective hearing'
  • rear vision (or lack of it) with a £600 extra for what I consider a must-have camera...
  • ultra-sensitive auto lights...
  • and so on.
But overall it still kicks a$$ - I love every minute driving mine...

~D

·
Registered
347 Posts
...apart from the list of issues on the other bits of this forum...
  • remote controlled windows
  • ability to fold/unfold mirrors without ignition
  • HFT microphone with 'selective hearing'
  • rear vision (or lack of it) with a £600 extra for what I consider a must-have camera...
  • ultra-sensitive auto lights...
  • and so on.
But overall it still kicks a$$ - I love every minute driving mine...

~D
  • Spare wheel
  • Honda Happiness pre-paid servicing on the 2.2
  • Restaurants within 50 miles of your current location/country
  • Door protectors
  • Auto-dimming mirrors
  • Rear wiper
Great car but far, far from what I expected of Honda

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
bit harsh guys, remember it's a medium priced family hatchback. Would you seriously prefer a Focus, Golf or Astra.

HFT easily fixed, then you have top notch bluetooth that costs 500 quid extra on a 22k BMW.

I know you can negotiate Honda Happiness with the dealer directly, I did.

Ultra sensitive automatic turning on headlights, remote control windows, resuraunts within 50 miles - really?

The camera's not worth 600 quid in my opinion, beeping is better I think. If I had beeping, it would be totally fine.

OK, I concede that they've almost thought of everything.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts