2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys

Bluetooth no notifications from android phone

I dont know if this is an issue with my 2018 Civic or my android Note9 phone.

When I get into the car and start, obviously my Note9 will pair with the HU. If during driving and listing to normal DAB radio and I will receive any notification such as Whatsup or sms message, I wont hear any notification sounds. Bluetooth will just ignore them.

Is this something that I can fix from HU please? It is so irritating that bluetooth will be used only for calls.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
3,355 Posts
I have an S9+ and texts alert for me via BT, and the car 'reads them out' if I so wish. They also worked with my previous S7.
Have you set it up to notify for emails? My interpretation is that it appears that it will only notify for email OR texts, not both.
Mine certainly alerts for SMS texts but I'm not certain about Whatsap? I'll give it a try tomorrow.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thought that its something from android cause it wasnt like that last year when I initially bought my Civic.

Thanks for the link, I've read that its just a matter of going to bluetooth setting of the HU from my phone and which of the audio so that it wont pair. Actually it worked and I have received notifications as it should but the problem now is another one.

After I did this, if someone calls me, bluetooth answering/calling wont work infact HU crashed popping up a not responding screen

·
Super Moderator
3,355 Posts
I just tested mine (S9+ running A Pie). The texts and phone work OK through the BT to HU. The only little thing is that the phone plays its call 'tune' as well as the HU ring tone. I will experiment more tomorrow and report back with my phone settings.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh farts. No I cannot either. This is amazing or better said Soooo frustrating

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No answering from steering wheel and although on HU it shows as Im on a call it wont be heard through speakers and mic wont work. You will need to switch bluetooth off and continue with call from phone.

If you turn back on the audio from the settings all will back as normal but notifications wont be heard once again

·
Registered
29 Posts
I think the problem is your phone and last android version. Maybe you reset your phone and delete your phone from honda unit. When your phone was restored to factory settings then you try to pair with honda bluetooth unit.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have unpaired deleted and anything I could do from bluetooth and HU but still the same. Factory reset phone wont do wonders I believe as it will remain with same android version and Im sure that there is a glitch in it and problem is coming from it.

·
Super Moderator
3,355 Posts
I've just been out and tested mine again. Phone calls seem to work OK. I can answer with the steering wheel controls and the car speakers and microphone work OK, but texts do not audio notify. I can hear my phone vibrating and the display switches from whatever to display incoming text, but no sound from either the car or the phone.

·
Super Moderator
3,355 Posts
Just been out again and tried the thing linked to in post #3:
Found the fix!! (Galaxy S8) hope this works for all.

My phone after the latest update lost the notification sounds when connected to Bluetooth in the car.

Go to Settings
Connections
click on Bluetooth
click on your paired device setting tool gear (in my case Mazda)
You'll see 4 options now, Calls - Audio - Contact access & Message access

Turn OFF AUDIO
The phone must be connected to the car's BT, and you may have to 'wait a bit' for the options to be switchable.
Worked for me on my S9+ running Pie.
Lovely alert whistle from the phone once again.
Whether you can still stream music etc. or not? I don't care as I don't do that.

Must try it with Whatsap later, but I haven't got another phone with Whatsap on it. Have to wait for my mate to come round.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Did it also. Worked for a few minutes but then HU crashed and had a pop up saying not responding on the screen. Also you have to do it all the time cause it turns to default

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So irritated. Only way it would work is to leave car on bluetooth source and stream audio from phone and to listen to radio (DAB replacement) I have installed a radio app on my phone.

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
TTS works on my phone (Pixel 3 XL) but I have issues with the BT pairing. Sometimes I have to reboot the phone to get the phone to connect to the car.

Whataspp TTS works through android auto though.

·
Registered
177 Posts
For me car reads the texts if I want it to but can it also read emails? I mean I almost never get texts those days. People either call me or email me.

Thanks,

·
Super Moderator
3,355 Posts
Apparently it can read emails OR texts but not both. Having said that, I have not tried the email aspect.
Shame it doesn't seem to work for Whatsap though.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts