2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had the problem with their bluetooth phone where if you store your phone in the centre drinks holder or anywere near that area you get massive interference when making a call. You also get this if you have your phone sitting in the little slot in the arm rest as well. Honda seem to be scrating their heads at the moment on how to fix this little problem. If anyone else has had this problem and a solution was found can you let me know.

·
Smell My Cheese!
1,888 Posts
I use the front cup holder for my phone and the only problem I have had is short lived noises as the phone connects and dials the number, almost like listening to an incoming fax, but once the call is connected I lose it. Can you hear the interference, or is it at the other end someone has told you, it could just be the very poor setup of the HFT and the background noise and front air vents on the mic. That reminds me, time for another email to Honda re that, 6 weeks since they acknowledged my email. I have not forgot!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I dont hear any interference on my end of the call, its the other end that has reported it. They claim to hear a constant whine on the line, as if the phone was inside a microwave oven. The only place i can have the phone when the noise stops is between my legs. :)

I have managed to find another post on the problem at this site

http://www.2talkabout.com/Honda/archives/civic-bluetooth/

I have recorded a short test message if you want to hear what the problem is.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,004 Posts
What you are hearing there is GSM interfering with the microphone. You sometimes hear this when you put a phone near to speakers or headphones.

A few things to try and a couple of questions..

1 - When this happens, are you the only person in the car, is there anyone else in there with a mobile phone?

2 -What phone do you use?

3 - I suspect the interference is made worse by the metal shell of the car, and when the phone is between your legs, your body is soaking most of the extra radiation up for you. Mmmm.. .toasty!

4 - As a little experiment, can you try putting a bunch of keys or similarly complex metal object by the phone?

5 - Have you swapped the mic over?

6 - Have you changed the mic sensitivity on the debug mode (as described on this site)

That's all for now - pretty sure we can fix this by making a very small change. I believe this problem is down to chance to an extent (to do with wavelengths and resonant frequencies)..

·
Premium Member
3,004 Posts
Actually, thinking on..

When the HFT is fitted, there needs to be a solid/good earth connection.. if this isn't done, then the reasonably long lengths of cables running through the car bodywork will increase the chance of this interference.

btw - are you using a motorola?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
basegreen said:
What you are hearing there is GSM interfering with the microphone. You sometimes hear this when you put a phone near to speakers or headphones.

A few things to try and a couple of questions..

1 - When this happens, are you the only person in the car, is there anyone else in there with a mobile phone?

2 -What phone do you use?

3 - I suspect the interference is made worse by the metal shell of the car, and when the phone is between your legs, your body is soaking most of the extra radiation up for you. Mmmm.. .toasty!

4 - As a little experiment, can you try putting a bunch of keys or similarly complex metal object by the phone?

5 - Have you swapped the mic over?

6 - Have you changed the mic sensitivity on the debug mode (as described on this site)

That's all for now - pretty sure we can fix this by making a very small change. I believe this problem is down to chance to an extent (to do with wavelengths and resonant frequencies)..
1. I am the only person in the car.

2. Nokia 6310i and Motorolla something or other.

4. found another location where interference is minimum. Between the clock display and the Rev limit indicator. Keys put near phone did not make any difference.

5. The mic is in the standard left hand drive position.

6. Yes this has been altered. From low to high and vice versa. No difference.

·
Smell My Cheese!
1,888 Posts
How do you actually use the mic settings, how do you change sensitivity?

·
Premium Member
3,004 Posts
If you've tried a couple of phones, I would go down the route of the install not being properly earthed.

You can get shielding for the cables, too. That might be an option to discuss with the dealer.

·
Registered
7 Posts
i actually know someone who works for the company that supplies the HFT module for Honda, our engineers are really puzzled. it could be a fit issue at honda because in tests outside of the car the HFt module works fine with no interference. there is also an issue where a buzing noise starts at about 40 miles an hour..?

·
Registered
430 Posts
I mentioned in an earlier post that I have a Golf at the moment, and fitted a Parrot bluetooth kit. ALl I can say is that it is fantastic. Clear voice and reception. It displays incoming callers, is totally voice activated. You can dial from it, check previous calls and other things. It also has a little LCD display.

My point is that this can be bought for less than £90 and Ebay even cheaper, it is faultless - Why can't Honda provide a simialr device?

I have not got my EX yet, but suffice to say that if it arrives and the Bluetooth phone is less than efficient, I shall be insisting on a refund for the price of fitted Bluetooth.

It seems that the option is not fit for purpose. therefore you should not have to pay for it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts