2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

21 - 40 of 69 Posts

·
Administrator
MY13 9G Civic Auto
21,392 Posts
We used to be frequented by a Honda salesman. Older members will know who I mean.

Being as his dealership was only 15 miles away I used to go there for a chat during service and I got to know him quite well.

During our chats and I think he posted the same here, he moved to Honda from VW. His main reason was that he was sick of lying to customers about VW reliabilty. The main item being the DSG gearbox. He said that it was very common for owners to return, just out of warranty, with a broken DSG and the repair was anything up to £7k for a new box and that full replacement was also very common.

They often made a beeline straight to him for selling a pile of unreliable expensive junk so he left on principle.

·
Registered
183 Posts
someone told me not long after VW are great at building experimental engines like the TFSI but made it overly complicated .
The 1.4 TSi springs to mind, the twin charged version with the Supercharger and Turbo making around 180 bhp

I mean kudos for VW for developing it, but my god it was unreliable, cracked pistons was the most common, which lead to burning oil, which lead to lots of dead engines. Timing chain tensioners failing at sub 100k miles

They really didn't do their homework on that one very well

·
Registered
527 Posts
In fairness I had a 'T' registered Golf TDI from new and did about 150K without any serious problems apart from a turbo which expired during warranty and VW were very, very reluctant to replace it, but they did eventually when I went to another VW dealer.
Touch wood my Honda is by far my most preferred car.

·
Registered
183 Posts
In fairness I had a 'T' registered Golf TDI from new and did about 150K without any serious problems apart from a turbo which expired during warranty and VW were very, very reluctant to replace it, but they did eventually when I went to another VW dealer.
Touch wood my Honda is by far my most preferred car.
This is exactly it though, they used to be a very reliable manufacturer (no doubts there), but in recent years they have been trading off of that reliabily record and churning out some (arguably) rushed design/development technology that has been less than reliable

I too had a Golf GTTDi, and it was ulatra reliable, mine was an 03 plate MK4, but it used a very tried and tested 1.9 PD150 engine, and they were pretty much bullet proof, though the PD got killed off due to emissions issues i belive

·
Administrator
MY13 9G Civic Auto
21,392 Posts
Dieselgate ?

·
Super Moderator
2,205 Posts
To be fair, i think most manufactures were doing similar things, just VW were the ones who got caught
Yes Renault are in the cack over it too & Mercedes aren't squeaky clean either

·
i-Vtec
3,792 Posts
Engines, especially diesels, have got far to complex,these days. Take the VX diesel gate, people reporting worse MPG after the retrofit, I mean wtf?
DSG's are amazing gearboxes, millisecond gear changes, but unless your Lewis Hamilton does it really matter for the drive to Asda? A lot of these things are technology for technology's sake imo.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Engines, especially diesels, have got far to complex,these days. Take the VX diesel gate, people reporting worse MPG after the retrofit, I mean wtf?
DSG's are amazing gearboxes, millisecond gear changes, but unless your Lewis Hamilton does it really matter for the drive to Asda? A lot of these things are technology for technology's sake imo.
Certainly agree with this. Ive managed to have a go with a DSG and although its great, not really essential- repairs costs really put me off when looking at Golfs. I guess in city areas automatic makes more sense but cars have gotten so powerful now that dsg boxes are mandatory to cope with launch control and extra bhp.

And to @rogp1 Yes i intend to! Everytime i come back to the Type R! Just not the right time at the moment- its not well suited to my work duties but doesn’t stop me looking when bored! I hope to get a post 09 reg with an LSD and Hids.

·
Registered
769 Posts
And to @rogp1 Yes i intend to! Everytime i come back to the Type R! Just not the right time at the moment- its not well suited to my work duties but doesn’t stop me looking when bored! I hope to get a post 09 reg with an LSD and Hids.
[/QUOTE]

You have to get one made after 13th April 2010 if you want the LSD I just missed out on my March 10 reg, imo the Fn2 looks best in milano red.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Ads22 just picking up on what you said about not suitable for your work duties at the mo and a concern about the hard ride of the Fn2 at the beginning of your post.
I have another possible car suggestion a 2012 on Focus ST which is available as a 5 door and an estate, the ride is a lot better than the FN2 and it's slightly more economical and been a ford parts are plentiful and relatively cheap

·
Registered
183 Posts
....... but cars have gotten so powerful now that dsg boxes are mandatory to cope with launch control and extra bhp.
Slightly off topic, but yes cars are just getting silly levels of power these days, and most of it is totally unnecessary, especially on UK roads, with the pot hole and speed cameras every 5 mins

I keep looking at Toyota GT86's, i had a Gen 5 Celica about 8 years ago, and still miss it, but all the reviews of the GT86 say it is pretty much the perfect road car car, enough power to make it nippy (200 bhp to the rear wheels), but it needs to be revved (like a Type R), low weight and low centre of gravity, near perfect 50/50 weight distribution and reasonably skinny tyres (same as fitted to a Pruis) to make lively in the corners

I'm just waiting for the new one to be released to drop the prices of 2nd hand ones a bit more

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Slightly off topic, but yes cars are just getting silly levels of power these days, and most of it is totally unnecessary, especially on UK roads, with the pot hole and speed cameras every 5 mins

I keep looking at Toyota GT86's, i had a Gen 5 Celica about 8 years ago, and still miss it, but all the reviews of the GT86 say it is pretty much the perfect road car car, enough power to make it nippy (200 bhp to the rear wheels), but it needs to be revved (like a Type R), low weight and low centre of gravity, near perfect 50/50 weight distribution and reasonably skinny tyres (same as fitted to a Pruis) to make lively in the corners

I'm just waiting for the new one to be released to drop the prices of 2nd hand ones a bit more
Yes the Gt86/BRZ has a lot of appeal, slightly out of budget for me still unfortunately but love the look of these. As an ex MX5 owner i get what they were trying to achieve. I hate how everyone drones on about how it needs a turbo!
We’re lucky to have such cars.
Still have a soft spot for Fords but think id still take an FN2 over the ST - although i love the 5pot noise on the mk2. The mk3 left me cold for some reason...i took the Fiesta ST over it but couldn’t justify the finance over how little i used it so jumped off the pcp loop.
Im only in temporary work until i can find a new permanent position then hopefully finances can stretch to something more interesting. Plus id hate to subject whatever i get to driving around all day. I think the Type R offers the fun with the practicality.
For me top of list is the FN2 then Swift Spot and Celica or Prelude. After posting this thread the 130i has gone down in my wish list!
Just really hoping to get something that is more traditional before we all go electric / hybrid.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
I don't think it'll be for a long time though. But do wonder if older higher polluting vehicles will be put through the grinder with heavy tax and stricter MOTs.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I'll get a motorbike when cars all go electric
Can't fault you there, I've already go mine though, got a Triumph Street Triple R in the garage, just waiting for some warmer/drier weather so it can come out and play

Luckily there have been no announcements yet as to the ban on ICE motobikes, i think because the technology is even further behind than that for cars in terms of range/weight of the batteries

21 - 40 of 69 Posts