2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

41 - 60 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
It's not all roses. According to something I saw this week there is a 50,000 mile break even point on electric cars in terms of the environmental cost of producing them.

·
Administrator
MY13 9G Civic Auto
21,392 Posts
So with my annual mileage I'd be 128.

Considering the filth coming out of some countries our little spec on the planet will make very little difference.

Yes, insist on less polluting cars but going full electric is a bit extreme considering the setup costs. How much carbon to install millions of charging points.

·
Registered
527 Posts

Considering the filth coming out of some countries our little spec on the planet will make very little difference.

Yes, insist on less polluting cars but going full electric is a bit extreme considering the setup costs. How much carbon to install millions of charging points.
It's sad really at a point in time when we have probably reached the ultimate in the development of some superb cars. Which are more economical than anyone would have dreamed of twenty years ago.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Imo the switch from leaded to unleaded catalyst and particular filters is as far as we needed to go.
If they stopped choking our roads with daft bus and cycle lanes, speed humps, chicanes and ever slower speed limits and opened up the traffic flow there would be less pollution!

·
Administrator
MY13 9G Civic Auto
21,392 Posts
I see Farage is going to enter candidates against councillors who are for cycle lanes and road closures after London data proved that when cycle lanes and road closures were scrapped pollution went down.

Reactions: poor1

·
4,678 Posts
I see it is the gobby tiny minority who make no contribution are getting their way.
About time the consigned bikes ti the recycle system.

·
Administrator
MY13 9G Civic Auto
21,392 Posts
Bikes are OK in their right place but at 12mph in the centre of the lane on a major A road isn't the place. Then they wonder why they get tooted at and vehicles pass by with little clearance.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Bikes are OK in their right place but at 12mph in the centre of the lane on a major A road isn't the place. Then they wonder why they get tooted at and vehicles pass by with little clearance.
It's not very safe either these days on the main roads, I used to do a lot of cycling in my early teens in the late 70's but there was a lot less traffic back then.
I am toying with the idea of getting a fold up bike to put in the boot for country parks, canal towpaths etc for exercise and fresh air during the summer.

We seem to of gone a little off topic again from the 130i posting lol

·
i-Vtec
3,792 Posts
Then they wonder why they get tooted at and vehicles pass by with little clearance.
They get tooted at and passed with little clearance because some motorists are ignorant and think they are the only ones that count. Some Motorists think they own the roads due to a deluded belief that they still pay "Road Tax", a taxation that was abolished over 80 years ago. No one I've ever met still claims to pay "The Poll Tax".

·
Administrator
MY13 9G Civic Auto
21,392 Posts
If they ride sensibly and with other road users in mind, in single file, over to the left, then no problem. But a lot don't.

I've been stuck for mile upon mile behind a cycle 'centre lane owners club' and they don't move over when they know they are causing a slow tailback on a major A road.

Reactions: Ads22

·
i-Vtec
3,792 Posts
Cyclists are allowed to cycle two abreast. If they were to single out that would mean you would then need twice the time and distance to pass them than you would with them cycling in a group. Cycling two abreast also prevents maniacs from dangerous overtaking that not only puts cyclists at risk but other motorists and road users.
Chris Boardman explains it all here with pictures and a video

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #54

Yes completely agree with this. We have such little impact globally when all things are considered however we seem to be the ones who are riddled with guilt and feel the brunt of it, and the same goes for Europe.
Air travel and the manufacture of clothing and fast fashion has a much bigger impact yet its the normal motorist and car manufacturer who gets penalised as an easy target. And i think its most likely why you see less and less young people willing to drive and less motoring enthusiasts.

It's not very safe either these days on the main roads, I used to do a lot of cycling in my early teens in the late 70's but there was a lot less traffic back then.
I am toying with the idea of getting a fold up bike to put in the boot for country parks, canal towpaths etc for exercise and fresh air during the summer.

We seem to of gone a little off topic again from the 130i posting lol
Which brings me nicely onto my next point! It was the changing road conditions, cars and changing outlook on cars thats made me fall out of love with driving a bit and the reason ive been looking at cars like the R and the 130i so when the opportunity allows theres something there to have fun with.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Ads if suspect is the issue with getting the alignment right the FN2 won't be to different to what you have, although having both pre and facelift I can safely say the facelift is the better bet

I had a Fabia VRS with the PD130 engine, imho the best engine vw produced!

I was running 170bhp & 283 lb/ft which came it at 1900rpm that thing was bloody brilliant, I had it from 100k to 170k and the only issues I had was a failed alternator & a steering angle sensor

Unfortunately the 2.0tdi that followed was riddled with problems , your best bet is do some solid reasearch across various owners clubs and online sources and get out and test drive these motors to see what suits you and takes your fancy

I'm barred from swapping the type r for anything else for the next 2 years as I've gone through a dozen cars in the last year or so lol

Edit: I would like an Audi S3 DSG, after the type R me thinks, need a lazy comfy cruiser. Personally yes I know they come with cost and some issues but their interior quality is superb and no squeek or rattles

But for now I'm happy ringing out the R which is great fun

·
Super Moderator
2,205 Posts
Don't have any squeaks or rattles in either the FN2 or the Si, except for what's in the glove box.

Am I just lucky?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Don't have any squeaks or rattles in either the FN2 or the Si, except for what's in the glove box.

Am I just lucky?
Me neither, well only untill i added a microphone under the steering column cowl when i added my android head unit, but some strategically placed automotive felt sorted that

·
Registered
641 Posts
I definitely notice alot less on facelift.
Guess it also depends on condition of roads you mainly drive on. If it's speed humps round the clock something's is bound to give sooner or later

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Well its been a while but finally have a job offer and hopefully starting soon - date tbc. Have tried not to get carried away but was trawling online to see how the FN2s are looking price-wise (out of boredom!) and found one local to me that fits the bill perfectly. 10 reg Milano Red facelift with parking sensors which apparently has LSD and appears absolutely spotless! Is slightly higher mileage but has all the signs of being looked after. with Honda service history. Is around £5k at 90k or so miles. I rang the dealer to get more info.

Very tempted to go and have a look and its in a sensible budget but bit concerned about setting myself on it before im ready, would require a small loan/Card but could pay a decent chunk off initially and PX my own car. Guess that'll teach me for looking!
Obviously its a bit risky before starting new role, but if its still there when I start then I would seriously consider looking. Not sure how lenders view people in new jobs but at the same time worried ill lose out on this example (Hear quite a few people who report decent FN2s, let alone post 10 reg ones, are hard to find at sensible prices! Seems to be a short supply in the SE)
Could pray its still for sale when I start even then im not sure if id have to be in a new role for quite a while in order to secure the rest of the funds.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Ads I'm all for the honda but what does your daily commute look like in your new job ?

Il be looking at moving soon and il be doing much more city driving, with city driving in traffic etc the FN2 is not the best tool. However the Honda trumps the BM in reliability.

All depends on needs and situation. Currently it's a want more than a need I take it? Be patient type r values on fn2 look low at the moment. With covid the economy etc I'm sure cars won't be in short supply.

I know several people looking at selling their cars owing to working at home more and getting no use of their cars

As much as I like my type r considering my commuting I may be looking at going back to auto but I'm in no rush

A higher milage r look at if the clutch been replaced, valve clearances done & general servicing obviously.

Once lockdown lifts and things settle if I were you I'd test drive a variety of cars to pick what's right for you

41 - 60 of 69 Posts