2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

61 - 69 of 69 Posts

·
Enjoying life
8,660 Posts
Check for clutch and timing chain being done. Could be looking at £1200 for those two if required.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I didn't think the timing chain needed doing as it's not a service item ? But doesn't hurt I guess at those mileages

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Ads I'm all for the honda but what does your daily commute look like in your new job ?

Il be looking at moving soon and il be doing much more city driving, with city driving in traffic etc the FN2 is not the best tool. However the Honda trumps the BM in reliability.

All depends on needs and situation. Currently it's a want more than a need I take it? Be patient type r values on fn2 look low at the moment. With covid the economy etc I'm sure cars won't be in short supply.

I know several people looking at selling their cars owing to working at home more and getting no use of their cars

As much as I like my type r considering my commuting I may be looking at going back to auto but I'm in no rush

A higher milage r look at if the clutch been replaced, valve clearances done & general servicing obviously.

Once lockdown lifts and things settle if I were you I'd test drive a variety of cars to pick what's right for you
Not massive miles thankfully. All quite local work but there is some travelling involved for daily work but nowhere near as much as i do now. Mostly town driving thats the only thing that makes me wonder about the FN2, ie the ride etc.
But tbh im struggling to think what else id go for. The reliability is quite a big one for me.
Mines pretty awful to drive as of late and is just overall really not nice - unfortunately ive bought a dud example i think and I dread driving it sometimes. I just much prefer how the type r drives and i like the design and interior of this shape civic.
Do think maybe best to hold fire though especially with just how bad the pandemic seems now! Lots of uncertainty out there.
Just gutting as finding the exact spec seems difficult but i will hold out hope.
Also saw mentions of timing chain...wasnt aware of these being a problem. How do you identify stretched chains, i always thought k20s were basically bulletproof....as long as oil is changed regularly?

·
Enjoying life
8,660 Posts
I don't think there's a way of telling they've stretched until they have been taken off. Stretching itself isn't the problem, it's Stretching and jumping a tooth or two, can screw the timing and subsequent damage. I had my ep3 chain replaced around 100k and it had stretched slightly but only around 3/4 of a tooth. Peace of mind really. Don't let that put you off, still the best engine I've had the pleasure of owning and tinkering with.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Flashy do you know if the timing chain is checked at the point of doing vavle clearances?
I'm aware of those people tend to do the FD2 delete at the time to save on labour

Ads I'd budget around 500/600 for the timing belt alone

If your set on an FN , why not get a slightly older model that's had some work done ?

eBay ID: 184606868097

This one has decent milage, brembo 4 pots, nice rims, eibach springs (,their comfy had them before) & HKS kit for
£3,350 or best offer is not bad

Yeah it doesn't have an LSD however you could save up and get an MFactory or Wavetrack diff down the line if you wish and sort the minor bits out as and when

At that milage you got time to sort the chain and other bits etc rather than have more outlay

Seller reckons the brembo kit alone is 1k, effectively your buying a 2k car , sell yours to recoup some cash and it won't be that bad

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #67 (Edited)
Flashy do you know if the timing chain is checked at the point of doing vavle clearances?
I'm aware of those people tend to do the FD2 delete at the time to save on labour

Ads I'd budget around 500/600 for the timing belt alone

If your set on an FN , why not get a slightly older model that's had some work done ?

eBay ID: 184606868097

This one has decent milage, brembo 4 pots, nice rims, eibach springs (,their comfy had them before) & HKS kit for
£3,350 or best offer is not bad

Yeah it doesn't have an LSD however you could save up and get an MFactory or Wavetrack diff down the line if you wish and sort the minor bits out as and when

At that milage you got time to sort the chain and other bits etc rather than have more outlay

Seller reckons the brembo kit alone is 1k, effectively your buying a 2k car , sell yours to recoup some cash and it won't be that bad
I wonder If going for one with some work done is better way to go actually. As a bit of an update I managed to get out and see the one I was looking at online today while things were quiet.

Bodywork and condition wise was very good however sadly it had the corrosion along the roofline and one of the auto fold mirror would not unfold. Other than that it seemed immaculate.

To drive however I wasn't very sold on it though. I confirmed it does have the LSD however I couldn't really notice it when driving - despite that had good tyres (Eagle F1s) fitted it just didn't seem to feel settled and just felt messy to drive. Wheres the one I drove a little while back did from what I remember (09 non LSD if I remember). Admittedly I did take it on some rough damp roads but I just found myself backing off the power quite a lot. Like mine, seemed to have this weird slight vagueness on left turns but don't know if that's a Civic thing, Electric steering or a poor setup?

It also habit of shuddering between 6-7k rpm - not sure what that would indicate? It was enough for me not to worry about going for this car in particular though!.......

I think I would cope with it on a daily basis however - clutch, gearbox and brakes felt great. Very sharp and actually probably the best ive used this side of an MX-5. I really do not see how the ride is much of an issue on these though - I found much more tolerable than my S and both times ive been in an FN2. I do wonder if it depends on how these were set up from factory as to how they feel on the road or whether its the spring rate of the standard springs. I think given the test drive I would value a good geo setup over one with a diff. Which is good as pre 10 reg models are certainly cheaper, even the facelift ones.

·
Enjoying life
8,660 Posts
To give you a comparison, I sold my 57 plate in 2017 which would equate to a 60 plate now, for just under £5k. It had 82k on the clock and lots of mods and work done. Team Dynamics pro race 1.2 wheels with AD08r tyres, carbon fibre vented bonnet, remap, injen cai, milltek non res exhaust and lots of other stuff. I hadn't changed the clutch or replaced the timing chain at that point. Plenty to chose from.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Ads most will have some minor roof rust issue unless it's sorted by the owner, the wing mirror inexpensive fix
In fairness the FN2s has all the toys you'll ever need.

If I were you I'd definitely look at a few before committing, the one you drove with the LSD perhaps wasn't aligned correctly, I've had both a Pre-Facelift without LSD and now a facelift with LSD, you will notice it on sharp corners at speed pottering about probably not.

Above all else find one with history and some quality mods done

Mine came with an injen induction kit & Scorpio twin exit exhaust.

One with good bodywork, clutch & brakes done recently would be a good shout

61 - 69 of 69 Posts