2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,211 Posts
Should we start one entitled 'not only BMW drivers' .... ???

Generally I find those most pushy, impatient, generally obnoxious, ignorant of indicating to be within one of the following:
Audi, BMW, Merc, Kuga, Insignia and without doubt Range Rover ...

Always seem to have that 'self importance', 'I'm better than you and don't need to indicate or show fair consideration to a pleb like you' mentality ...

With that in mind, momentarily forgetting not to 'paint all with the same brush', I found myself really appreciating the substantially better brakes on the 10G, cf 8G this morning.

In the initial meander from home up to the first main road intersection, an Insignia pulled out, with fair distance, and at 'a confident rate', so all's appearing typical, right up to the junction with the main road, 80 metres further on.
There doesn't appear to be anything coming on the right - dual carriageway, 40 mph limit - but my view isn't as clear / far as that of the Insignia in front, being blocked by the end house.

Insignia starts moving off, I can't see anyone coming, so I start as well, momentarily looking right to verify, then quickly back as I suddenly see ... the Insignia STATIONARY!!
6-8 SECONDS LATER - or plenty of time to slot in - a car appears.
Fortunately both my reactions, and the 10G's brakes were up to the task, and no paint was removed - or any contact whatsoever.
It could have been VERY different.

I understand a need to establish, evaluate, and occasionally reevaluate road conditions, but I tire of those hesitant at junctions - this being a perfect example.

I mainly observe this - and take full advantage as a consequence!! :rolleyes: - at mini-roundabouts with everyone watching everyone else and nobody moving ... !!

Care is always taken, but I prefer to be more positive than hesitant.

Al.
when i see this sort of behaviour cars suddenly stopping on roundabouts for no reason my first thoughts is crash for cash
unfortunately i live in one of the uk's hot spots for this kind of activity and make damn sure the car in front of me has gone before i set off
it's too easy to get caught out especially in heavy traffic
you might call it being hesitant but it's not the way i see it, I see it as making sure my already stupidly high insurance premiums don't get any higher, 58 yrs old with full no claims and still paying £700 for a 2.2 diesel civic or should i say was iv'e changed cars recently

·
Premium Member
2,061 Posts
I thought you meant the crash for cash was daylight robbery!!

£700 is a bit steep, but I suppose it depends on circumstances, requirements and location as well.

Al.

·
Premium Member
1,211 Posts
That's daylight robbery, I'm 59 and only pay £250 for an FN2.
tell me about it :(

my son in law was interested in buying the civic off me until he got an insurance quote
he lives about 4 miles up the road ( still in bolton ) 21 years old , clean full uk license for 3 years with 2 years no claims
quotes where coming in at £3,600
he's already paying £2,100 a year for a citroen C3 1.4hdi the prices are just ridiculous

·
Premium Member
843 Posts
I suppose you get hammered for being in the "greater Mnachester area".
I'm on the sunny south coast so benefit from being in a much less "risky" place.

·
Super Moderator
3,470 Posts
Yes, but it seems that by living here you can afford to insure a 'boy racer' car.
I was in Collins Honda Eastbourne a couple of days ago having my Prestige serviced and they have got a lovely looking new 'R' in white.

·
Premium Member
2,061 Posts
Back to Beemer parking, or parking in general, I do agree that parking space default dimensions seem to have been made with 'most considerations', for entry, departure of 1960's cars, which were at least 6-8" narrower than the average car today ... but that doesn't excuse the amount of people either parking like a Beemer or as I've often seen at supermarkets, simply parking in the Disabled bays and all get out of the car and walk without any assistance required, and certainly without need for a wheelchair, frame, or something similar.

Al.

41 - 60 of 60 Posts