2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Picked up an OEM spolier today off this forum and I think I've decided to bond as opposed to drill and bolt as it didn't come with the end brackets. The adhesive of choice on here seems to be silkflex 255f I think.

So now for the silly question, where is the best place to apply the adhesive? Do I remove the thin foam tape from the underside and apply a bead in its place or do I leave the tape in place and run the bead along the inside or do I need to do something else?

Also I assume I apply adhesive to the four circular sections where the bolts would normally fit.

Any advice would be gratefully received as all the how tos I've found have pics removed.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
823 Posts
I left the foam tape on mine, I squeezed a massive sausage shape along top of the boot and 2 smaller down the pointy bits

Thing is rock solid

·
Premium Member
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Wardy2602. The area I was struggling with is whether I needed to remove the foam tape from the underside of the spoiler. I think I'm goiing to leave it on there and run the sikaflex all around the inside of it.

·
No Smoke no poke
3,589 Posts
Thanks Wardy2602. The area I was struggling with is whether I needed to remove the foam tape from the underside of the spoiler. I think I'm goiing to leave it on there and run the sikaflex all around the inside of it.
I left mine on to be fair and just run a bead of the adhesive all the way round, dont be tempted to use to much and stay off the mounting point for the bolts otherwise you wont get it to sit right.

Wardy

·
Premium Member
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well stage one of removing my slip spoiler didn't go to plan. Did my research one bolt at each end and stuck to the Perspex with double sided tape. So I remove the bolts ease away the brackets and slowly lever the spoiler away starting on the drivers side, so far so good.

Get to the middle and the passenger side is stuck fast, try as I might to remove it the spoiler snaps in two!!! It turns out that who ever fitted the lip spoiler decided to bond it to the car on just one side. Why would you do that???

2hrs later all the spoiler is now removed and is in 3 bits and the black adhesive remains (possibly sikaflex) removed from the Perspex. It's left a few scratches on the Perspex but the new spoiler will cover that when fitted.

Fingers crossed the fitting goes more smoothly than the removal.

·
Premium Member
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Right guys done the deed this morning. Do you think this will be OK? Had various advice on how much sikaflex to use so just applied beads of the stuff as per the pic. Have half a tube left so hope I've done enough as didn't want it come out around the edges.

Also thought I'd include a pic for COTM as well?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts