2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys I have a bit of an emergency.

I changed the bonnet latch over the wkd. I was sure I sorted it right but obviously not.

Came to replace side lights, pulled the bonnet release in the car. Seems really slack. I can hear the mechanism working but can't get it to pop. Even if I pull the cable in the car.

Any ideas guys??

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The cable is on the handle, but it's really quite slack. Was trying to pull it but nothing. I don't know how that trim comes away, feels really secured

·
Premium Member
1,211 Posts
Sounds like it may have detached from the bonnet release itself... or the cable has snapped. If you get someone to operate the cable inside the car, and listen at the front of the bonnet, can you hear the catch moving?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Apparently nothing. I was sure I connected it.

What happens if it's detached? Sounds like this could be a nightmare

·
Premium Member
1,211 Posts
You can often get garages to open the bonnet if the cable has snapped - in your case, I would take it to Honda. They probably won't charge you a lot (if anything) to quickly pop the bonnet open, and then you can check the cable etc.

I think you can also drop the bumper off, which will allow you to access the cable. Not too bad a job.

·
Administrator
17,960 Posts
Is your undertray fitted? If not, then you may be able to access the latch from underneath...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yea it's on, just went to a garage and they were saying smash the grille or cut the bonnet off! These guys taking the piss?

·
Administrator
17,960 Posts
What! Yeah, it sounds like it.

Bumper off sounds like the better option to gain access to the bonnet latch.

Have you confirmed that the cable is still on the release lever in the cabin?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Yeah bumper off sounds better.

They were saying they would snap the clips and bond them back on lol. It is still on the release within the cabin but I think I've managed to stretch it trying to pull it with pliers. I'm going to drop it in to a proper garage tomos.

I've never taken anything to these guys and don't plan on going back!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No I don't mean your suggestion. I mean the cutting of bonnet or smashing the front grille.

I'm wondering though, can the bonnet come off with the bonnet shut? I suspect there will be clips right?

·
Administrator
17,960 Posts
Ignore those barmy 'garage' suggestions, they will cause damage to something.

The grill isn't a robust item and it is easy to break a clip or mount.

·
Premium Member
1,211 Posts
The bonnet is pretty sturdy, so it won't budge. It's designed that way oddly enough :)

The bumper comes off by detaching the front of the wheel arch trims, unscrewing a couple of screws/bolts, and unclipping the bumper forwards from that point. It can be done in about fifteen minutes without damaging any clips.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts