2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Really need to get my finger out and start making an impact on these blooming stone chips on the bonnet...

Seems like every time I wash the car I find yet more....only the other day, car pigging with road salt etc, did I find the tell-tale white specks on my milano red paint job...argh!

Anyone completed such a paint repair job lately? I've also got the AutoGlym SRP to freshen things up once I've got the stone chips covered up...

Whichever weekend I choose to start, it'll be a long road to Tipperary....lol :popcorn:

K

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
Make sure you put a wax or sealant over the SRP as it won't last for long otherwise. It's mainly full of fillers to mask swirls etc. rather than remove them.

·
Cleaning Moderator
12,676 Posts
Make sure you put a wax or sealant over the SRP as it won't last for long otherwise. It's mainly full of fillers to mask swirls etc. rather than remove them.
Good advice AGSRP is known as an AIO (all in one). It gives some protection, but very little.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Agreed SRP is a quick short term fix only without further protection, if only the paint was up to the mark in the first place.. life would be easier without the endless thoughts of needing a respray.

Amazing people have been complaining about stone chips for so long and still Honda seem to ignore :(

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ah, that's where I'm going wrong...I found the SRP to produce an ace finish back in September - getting ready for Winter - but it soon faded...
I'm a newbie to this detailing malarky...

Wax - I know that there's likely an infinite (almost) number of products on offer, so I'll limit it to say under £30...any suggestions? Just bought an engagement ring so give me a break lol!:facepalm:

Something also tells me that I ought to clay my paintwork too...when in Rome, go the whole hog...

K

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
I'll step back here - there are those far more qualified here than I to direct you on detailing!

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
I am no detailer but I use Collinite 915 as a wax, pop over to detailing world (search it) for the real latest best product!

·
Cleaning Moderator
12,676 Posts
Ah, that's where I'm going wrong...I found the SRP to produce an ace finish back in September - getting ready for Winter - but it soon faded...
I'm a newbie to this detailing malarky...

Wax - I know that there's likely an infinite (almost) number of products on offer, so I'll limit it to say under £30...any suggestions? Just bought an engagement ring so give me a break lol!:facepalm:

Something also tells me that I ought to clay my paintwork too...when in Rome, go the whole hog...

K
AGHDW, Vics Concours both very nice & will sit nicely on top of your AGSRP

TBH loads of different waxes to choose from, can be a bit of a minefield.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
I feel you pain mate. My bonnet, wings and bumper grill are all riddled with stone chips. Needs the full front end painted badly. I'll put it off till after winter though.

·
Registered
183 Posts
The last thing I'd use on a stone chipped car is srp! It may seem to hide them at first until it drys out and the polishing minerals are left behind in the chips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
The thing is even if we get the cars repainted will the chips appear on the new paint just as quick?

·
Muscles From Brussels
4,073 Posts
The thing is even if we get the cars repainted will the chips appear on the new paint just as quick?
Hard to say angle of bonnet makes it a target but if you get someone to sort you out an extremely hard clear coat ie BMW or Audi spec or ceramic coat it resistance will be far higher

·
Premium Member
1,439 Posts
Most likely will I'm a valeter and see them all the time seen some nasty ones on volvos front bumpers (plastic) big gouges out of them looks real nasty

Just remember to get some clear lacquer to touch the chips in after you've done them with the pain as all touch up pens are water based so after a hard rain fall the pain will wash off!

·
Premium Member
1,439 Posts
There's a company over the north east some where, that put a clear vinyl over the front end when on you can't really tell its there.! We got a m3 coupe done

·
Supporter
3,159 Posts
I feel you pain mate. My bonnet, wings and bumper grill are all riddled with stone chips. Needs the full front end painted badly I'll put it off till after winter though.
Would you rather not just get it painted well rather than badly lol

·
Registered
183 Posts
I'm slightly lucky in this respect as my front end has been resprayed to a pretty good standard before I got the car. The one I looked at before buying this was absolutely peppered! As a tempory fix you could try some colour magic. It will disguise them to a certain extent but you will have to keep applying it every few weeks. It's the only time I'd ever recommend colour magic!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 19 of 19 Posts