2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oh hear. It had to happen sooner or later I suppose. It's quite an amusing story actually, given the circumstances. I was on my way home from work tonight on a country lane, which is just about wide enough for two cars to pass without any trouble. A car came the other way, but whatever happened, we didn't compensate enough, and - bang! - our wing mirrors crashed, leaving mine dangling off by the wires.

I stopped, and luckily, so did the other guy, and we reversed upto exchange details. He was a nice chap, thankfully, and thanked me for stopping. We exchanged names and addresses, and then - bearing in mind this is a country lane in the middle of nowhere - a police car turned up! They asked if everything was OK, and the driver of the other car asked if they were Northamptonshire or Cambridgeshire Police (we were quite near the county border). They said Cambridgeshire, and he told them his name and shook hands with them.

Odd, I thought, and when they went on the way, I asked him if he worked for the police force. He said yes, he was the Chief Constable! OMG - of all the people I could choose to have an accident with, it had to be a copper!

I'm going to ring my insurance company in the morning, so we'll see how it goes. Obviously it won't be particularly easy, but I could think of many worse people to crash into!

·
Administrator
24,216 Posts
Sorry to hear of this, but you may well find that it is worth paying for the repair yourself rather than pay the excess on you insurance policy and claim.

It sounds like it will be 'knock for knock' as far as the two insurance companies are concerned.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah you're probably right. I've got a £250 excess anyway but I'll call my broker in the morning to see what they suggest.

·
R.I.P - (User sadly passed away)
9,228 Posts
You were VERY lucky mate ... in other parts of the UK, you'd have been (at least) 'tasered' on the spot, then arrested and held 'incommunicado' for some weeks under the "Terrorism Act" !!! ...

Next time you see the other driver (Chief Constable), drop to your knees and worship him as a God ...

Not all 'coppers' are c***s, you know - but those who are, certainly make their presence felt ...

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
I have just bought a new mirror assembly £207 inc VAT plus fitting.

Will fit myself though and still cheaper than the insurance excess. Not worht the hassle even though protected policy they will still raise the premium i bet!!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Spoke to my broker and the insurance company today. All I need to do so far is get a quote for the repair (and not at the insurance company's approved repairer - interesting!). If it is only £200 odd plus fitting Mike, it won't be worth doing that through the insurance, but at least they've got it on their records if the other guy claims.

·
Administrator
19,165 Posts
Very unfortunate to hit another car, but classic that you hit the Chief Constable. At least he will be above the law in the issue ;)

Good luck with the repairs :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts